Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Simon Gerrard

Re: chasing payment
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2011, 07:23:39 pm »
Isn't this 'pay when paid' malarky just a licence to take endless credit from the gullible? And then keep fobbing them off with, 'oh, I haven't been paid yet.' Rubbish, it's a mugs game to agree to pay when paid, especially in carpet cleaning. At most you could give 28 days credit but that is it.
What happens if the customer goes bust and never pays? You've agreed to pay when when so you've lost out too.
It's a mugs game!!!!

Simon

The Great One

« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2011, 07:43:47 pm »
Isn't this 'pay when paid' malarky just a licence to take endless credit from the gullible? And then keep fobbing them off with, 'oh, I haven't been paid yet.' Rubbish, it's a mugs game to agree to pay when paid, especially in carpet cleaning. At most you could give 28 days credit but that is it.
What happens if the customer goes bust and never pays? You've agreed to pay when when so you've lost out too.
It's a mugs game!!!!

Simon

You've answered your own question, no one gets paid!

What if the person subbing the work has loads of invoices outstanding and hasn't the cash flow at the time to pay the subbee, he has to wait for payment to come in, then what if that persons own debts come in as the money hits the account.

We could of course go on for ages, if both parties agree to the terms then that's it and no one can really comment as both parties have made their own agreement which they are both happy to operate under.

End of chat

Martin 8)

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2011, 08:02:54 pm »
There is also an element of duress, although not deliberate, but when you're hard up looking for work and someone offers you some good work, you'll agree to it simply because it's a choice between earning and doing nothing.
Simon

Colin Day

« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2011, 08:12:21 pm »
There is also an element of duress, although not deliberate, but when you're hard up looking for work and someone offers you some good work, you'll agree to it simply because it's a choice between earning and doing nothing.
Simon

Greed and desperation catches a lot of people out. If someone offered me a £10k job, I'd want (like someone already said) half up front. The first thing I was ever told when I was starting a business was, trust nobody.

Obviously there are exceptions to these rules, but if something sounds too good to be true..... you know the rest....

Glynn

« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2011, 08:20:49 pm »
Jason are you still running your vehicle on used cooking oil to save money ?.
Regards
Glynn

clinton

« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2011, 08:21:17 pm »
Same as colin said as would want to even work for a payment in a years time..

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2011, 08:37:30 pm »
May I just clear something up please. Jason did not sub me a 10K job. The 10K job was mine but asked Jason to share his knowledge from his vast experience. I think without the Knowledge I gained from his experience I would have got the job.

Also the money owed is from a flood cleanup I did in Sheffield for him as he was unable to attend. The total for the job was £1910.00 and agreement was... I get paid when he gets paid from insurance company. Jason has infact recently paid me £1300 of the invoice as he had monies from another job, however the insurance company from the invoiced job had still not paid for works carried out.

Jon Tabbener

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2011, 08:42:27 pm »
I dont see what the problem is if everyone knows whats happening.

I do quite a bit of work with another forum member & i know that i will get paid when he gets paid, by reading most of the above maybe i'm a mug for accepting these terms - i don't think so, as we are good friends now all through carpet cleaning & working together
Cleaner Carpets

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2011, 09:26:49 pm »
It is avery dangerous game to owe people money

Even if you have assets you can be made bankrupt  used to be £750 for someone to start proceedings

If you owe an Insurance Company Money they come down like a ton a bricks, legal action threat fast etc etc
If money is outstanding from 2008 why not take action

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2011, 10:31:08 pm »
Be interesting if all the suppliers posted names of who owed them money for months and months and months.

Best not.

John Kelly

« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2011, 10:40:25 pm »
You lot want to get involved in the fire & flood industry.Sometimes in excess of 12 months to get paid. Not really a worry on a 6k job I'll wait 12 months.

Added by Ian Gourlay

John I fail to understand why you have to wait 12 months . If the work is done The Insurance Company should pay

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2011, 11:21:29 pm »
Like I said, it's a mugs game - play it for long enough and in due course you'll find out why it is a game for mugs!

Simon

The Great One

« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2011, 08:46:45 am »
Simon

Greed and desperation catches a lot of people out. If someone offered me a £10k job, I'd want (like someone already said) half up front. The first thing I was ever told when I was starting a business was, trust nobody.

Obviously there are exceptions to these rules, but if something sounds too good to be true..... you know the rest....

Hi Colin

So you would want £5000 up front, do you yourself have £5000 sitting around to hand to someone?

Hands up who has £5000 spare sitting in a account just in case they get a £10,000 job in?

I myself have taken cash upfront on painting jobs to cover materials etc, but also work the other way and get paid when they get paid.

It is whatever both parties agree, as long as they are both happy, that's it.

Martin 8)

derek west

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2011, 11:14:17 am »
i think everyone is missing the point on this debate.

i myself would take on the odd job where i get paid when the contractor gets paid. but i would not do it if the contractor openly admitted that he occasionally doesn't get paid for years and sometimes doesn't get paid full stop, and on top of that he's not really bothered as he can afford not to get paid.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2011, 11:38:02 am »
I understand  Houses need to be dried out etc Builders need to move  in  and maybee insurance Companies do not pay until last job is finished.

May bee its the way the industry works but it is wrong

When One Trade Ie the Water remover has finished he should get paid in my opinion and if the main contractor is willing to work like this he should have working capital to cover stage payments or take out a bank loan.

When I was a retailer I had to pay for my stock in a month I could not say I will pay you when I sell it in3 months or a years time if it was a slow moving item

wynne jones

« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2011, 12:11:27 pm »
They drag out payment because... they can.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

jasonl

« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2011, 02:59:37 pm »

i myself would take on the odd job where i get paid when the contractor gets paid. but i would not do it if the contractor openly admitted that he occasionally doesn't get paid for years and sometimes doesn't get paid full stop, and on top of that he's not really bothered as he can afford not to get paid.

I did a 700 quid flood very near to you on Tuesday , it cost me £100 in fuel and materials  zero ad costs .

I will not be paid until December , according to you I am daft for doing this work , according to me I am building a business .
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

gwrightson

« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2011, 03:23:33 pm »

I have always offered a !05 discount on early payment with commercial jobs, i have now started asking them.
Will it be payment upon completion? Why ?
Then i can clean at a reduced price, 2 commercal jobs this last 2 weeks, both paid upon completion because of the offer, and before any body says large companys dont work this way, youre wrong. One was for Easy Jet.and another for an global medical company.
Getting to the point of money owing. IT WASNT ME!!!
geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2011, 04:37:00 pm »
I did a 700 quid flood very near to you on Tuesday , it cost me £100 in fuel and materials  zero ad costs .
I will not be paid until December , according to you I am daft for doing this work , according to me I am building a business .

So if you had subbed that job out would you have told the subbie he would get paid at the end of the job, end of the month, 60 days or when you get paid?

Your agreement with the insurance company has no relevance if there is someone else doing the actual work. I know I wouldn't take on subbie work waiting till December for my money because there could be too many people in the chain which could be broken if one of them went bust. On the other hand if there is only the insurance company and the person doing the work then that is different. Insurance companies rarely go bust (or is underwritten by someone else anyway), contractors go bust every week for either genuine money reasons or just pulling a fast one to get away from paying their bills.

derek west

« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2011, 04:37:44 pm »

how dya get that from my post. like i said, and i'm repeating my self here. i "WOULD" do the job and wait for payment. but i "WOULDN'T if the payer was laxidasicle when collecting the money. because he was rich enough to not get paid. you obviously don't understand my point so i'll leave it there.