Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

How much do you spend on advertisin each year?

0-2k
40%
24 (40%)
2-4k
30%
18 (30%)
4-6k
15%
9 (15%)
6-8k
3.3%
2 (3.3%)
8k +
11.7%
7 (11.7%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Mr Dvae

advertising/marketing
« on: August 06, 2011, 07:50:43 am »
was just wondering how much you guys spend on marketing your business and what your comments are i get about 6-7x return on my marketing is that good or bad?

Dave

Simon Gerrard

Re: advertising/marketing
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 09:12:10 am »
Dave,
I think 5/1 is the accepted minimum return so at 6/7 you're doing well.

Simon

clinton

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 09:55:19 am »
As simon said i think your doing well if your getting that return..

derek west

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 10:25:24 am »
total yearly turnover divided by total yearly ad spend i got 10/1 last year and looking at 15/1 this year, if all goes as planned.

year before last year was 4/1 and my first year was 2/1 with a loss profit.

Mr Dvae

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 07:30:21 pm »
so what have you changed Derek?

Dave ???

Paul Heath

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 07:44:00 pm »
his aftershave  ;D ;D

derek west

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 07:58:40 pm »
his aftershave  ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D

ahhhhh but which one, thats the million dollar question. ;)

Paul Heath

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 08:05:54 pm »
you strike me as a "BRUTE" man   :-*

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 08:07:08 pm »

Paul Heath

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 08:09:08 pm »
Carpet Dawg.....too much hair for our Derek.. ;D

derek west

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 08:12:04 pm »
your both wrong.

i'm not stuck in the 80's and i'm sorry tony but i'm not gay either. ;D ;D

David_Annable

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 09:01:47 pm »
Hi

Your sorry that your not guy Derek!

NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 05:03:36 am »
THis was a serious post , why does it have to be taken over by banter so quickly which then deters other sensible answers.

Posts like Derek's are useless and just up his ego unless he says how he is getting 15 to 1 and still achieving growth in fact if he wants to raise some money he should write an e book and sell that  on ebay an amazon and supply proof and  weekly and monthly tracking reports etc etc

derek west

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 06:01:28 am »
i think you'll find ian that the original question was answered by me. the guy wanted comparisons so he could see how he was doing compared to others. if i'd known that the guy wanted, not only to know the comparison, but also how anyone with (apparantly) favourable comparisons got there. then i would of not answered the original post.

to give your marketting strategy on an open forum would be pathetic. and to expect someone to put there marketting strategy on an open forum is also pathetic.
why is it when someone answers a question with (apparantly) good statistics, they are only serving to boost there own ego?

ian, i'm confident that 10/1 achieved through turnover devided by add spend is not all that good, so can't see why i'm bragging. i'm also confident theres guys on here who are easily achieving 20/1 and 30/1 and i'm sorry, but i'm not stupid enough to expect them to tell me openly on a forum how they are achieving this.

maybe mr dvae should rephrase his original question and ask! is anyone doing better than me and if so, HTF are they achieving this?

Ricky M

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 07:12:16 am »
we are doing terrible with advertising/marketing and choosing the right kind of laid back hope the phone rings PASSIVE marketing is not helping our biz at all !!

However on the flip side pro-active marketing for very very little out lay is going brillo kerchingo, so much so think we maybe able scrape up for a lovely little sun hol ( not to far away so's to save on fuel).

had a £1900 vat bill to pay last week  :'( :'( it appears next time round its going to be a heck of lot more :'( :'( :'(

I Love paying Vat I really feel that im helping the coalition boys have a nice lifestyle.

never going to get 2 Bentleys at this rate (PMSL)

www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

Mike Halliday

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 07:26:24 am »
Derek, you figures can look confusing, Dave asked about the return on his marketing spend, you have given your ratio of turnover/marketing spend.

to say you get a 10-1 means ( I think) eg; last year I earned 50K and I spent 5k on marketing = 10-1

Dave mean.... last year I spent £5k on marketing and as a direct result of That marketing I earned £25k which is a 5-1 return, the £25k was not his yearly turnover

you are talking about 2 separate  but similar equations
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

derek west

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 07:37:11 am »
yeah but i did explain that mike. to get an exact figure could also be confusing, do you include repeats and referals in your original market spend etc... i personally think its impossible to give an exact figure and thats why i included an explanation as to my 10/1, and like i said, i did explain that so can't see why ian is saying i'm ego boosting. bit un called for really, but hey ho, each to there own. and it was 40/4 so not exactly genious.

robert meldrum

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 11:10:22 am »
Although it's great to talk ££££££££'s I'd be wary about being too explicit on an open forum. Marketing is probably what set's the wheat from the chaff in most businesses and Derek is a NATURAL when it comes to marketing as is Mike Halliday although two totally different characters / personalities.

Ian...........................

I understand what you're saying but being flippant and amusing makes a forum a good place to be ( most of the time )

When Derek first exploded onto CIU I reckoned he was a total pain in the backside but he is an asset to the forum with his enthusiasm and willingness to " have a go "

I'll never agree with everything he posts but a forum needs to be lively or it gets stale.

derek west

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 11:25:30 am »
made my day that bob, thank you.  :)

robert meldrum

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 11:31:44 am »
Cost me a few seconds of my day Derek  :) :)