Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Tony Rowley

Websites
« on: August 05, 2011, 08:05:04 pm »
I have a couple of websites with vistaprint and on them you can pay for additional breakdowns for trafffic ets..etc..., i know you can get this info for free on google blah blah but i was looking at my traffic for the past 24 hours and this is the breakdown in visits for one of my sites:

East Grinstead 568
Japan               252
Beverley Hills    30
London             14
Other                5

And then a few 1 visits from various places.

Now do you think that they are just making this stuff up? i mean 568 hits from East Grinstead in a 24 hour period, how can that be. I would give you the website address but you lot would just probably kick the arse out of it for being rubbish but it does bring in work. Any way the question is does anyone else use vistaprint and have they noticed any strange hit patterns like i have described.

Cheers

Tony

Steven Galley

Re: Websites
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 08:17:51 pm »
Your website looks ok and if it makes you money that's all that matters.

Simon Moat

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 08:38:18 pm »
Is that the East Grinstead just South of Tokoyo?

Agreed, if your website brings in the bucks who gives a monkeys what it looks like!

Tony Rowley

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 08:56:58 pm »
I have been told that the fact that it looks like i made it myself gives it a more local appeal more than a slick corporate site that could be anywhere in the country. Wish i was in Japan i could make a mint (probably) the other one is Beverley Hills, could me made if i was based over there.

Tony

garry22

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 10:57:42 am »
Tony,

Those "visits" do not necessarily come from real people. They are more likely to be bots.

Maybe those visits from Japan and Beverley Hils are to your blog post about the Royal Wedding? It's probably best to look at a month's figures rather than those from a day or so.

As the others said above, if it's making money, who cares (and it looks OK anyway).

Tony Rowley

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 01:24:34 pm »
Thanks for your comments, I am just trying to get a better understanding of websites and how they work, what drives traffic to the site etc etc. I am a bit slow when it comes to that kind of stuff so am trying to learn what I can.

Cheers

Tony

wynne jones

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 02:23:03 pm »
Tony

You say you know about Google giving you this info for free blah blah blah, but it's more than free, it's able to answer your question and many others that will lead to better results.

It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 03:34:16 pm »
I have been told that the fact that it looks like i made it myself gives it a more local appeal more than a slick corporate site that could be anywhere in the country. Wish i was in Japan i could make a mint (probably) the other one is Beverley Hills, could me made if i was based over there.

Tony

I would agree with that totally. We have a few sites for one part of our business. One of which is a diverted number. It is nearly always that number that is being forwarded to us for enquiries and its on the least professional/worst looking site. It looks terrible but is great reading if you are a google algorithm. It has a local call rate number, which I know can be from anywhere. I reckon just the word Local locks them in to calling.

Tony Rowley

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 06:40:40 pm »
Wynne

The reason i put blah blah was because i wanted to save from someone pointing out that i could get the info for free and that paying a couple of quid for it was not an issue for the convenience of having it all in one place for me.

But looking at google analytics it doesnt provide any more info than what i recieve via vistaprint (if anything the info i get from vistaprint is more detailed) so i dont see how it would answer any question that i have asked.

If you would like to point me in the right direction being your usual and ever so helpful self that would be much appreciated.

Tony

garry22

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 07:18:09 pm »
But looking at google analytics it doesnt provide any more info than what i recieve via vistaprint (if anything the info i get from vistaprint is more detailed) so i dont see how it would answer any question that i have asked.

Tony,

I cannot comment about Vistaprint as I have never used them.

What Google Analytics gives you is... Human visitor stats. Entrance keywords, how long people using those keywords stayed on the site, where within the site they went and from which page they left. In the image below, there were 901 different keywords used to access the site in a month.

The only people who don't use GA are normally the ones who don't want Google to know what they are up to. In other words, you've got to have a pretty good reason NOT to use them.

Tony Rowley

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 10:26:59 pm »
Hi garry22

TBH the reason i used vistarint was that i couldnt get the analytic stuff to stick to the website and just got fed up with it and was happy to pay for the information. It is basically the same info anyway, gives me breakdowns of visits,times,page views,search engines,search terms etc.

Happy with info i have and the bot thing seems feasible as a source of visits so i am learning tsomething new.

Thanks for your help.

Tony

wynne jones

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 03:45:21 pm »
Tony

In your original question you asked whether their results were suspect. Personally I would make the effort to set up analytics as whilst not perfect itself, I would trust it over a company supplying me the figures for their own setup.

That particular days stats may be a hiccup, did it translate in extra calls?
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.