Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

clarkson

truckmount vs porty
« on: August 05, 2011, 10:46:40 am »

sorry couldnt resist ;D

i have had several posts running recently about my replacement cc machine. iam having a rethink.

due to used  porty's going for top dollar, had several airflexes offered close to 2000 new 3-4000 etc.

i also have had only one serious offer on my old alltec.  I am thinking of keeping it as a backup machine.

i noticed ians prowler on for 3500. would this sort of thing be a better option then. we are getting busier on carpets now so although it is overkill at the minute it would future proof us. its also an incentive to get cracking on the marketing.

i thought i would have to spend 10, 000's to get truckmounted. is there more to consider what about tanks etc.

what names for entry level truckmounts. heard of blazer,prowler and a few others.

cheers

john 

Andrew Briscoe

Re: truckmount vs porty
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 11:08:55 am »
Personally at 3.5 k i would buy Ians Prowler, for not much more than a new porty, has to be value for money.
Knowing what i do now, if i was starting out i would go for the Prowler or a Pheonix from Dave Ingram, both different to each other, but nice compact units.

All depends how busy you are, after having a porty or two i went for a Steamway for a year and then moved on to a Maxx 470 in a sprinter van, this suits our business very much, it will depend what suits you for your business model. Also how busy you are, and where you see yourself going with the business.

Andrew

derek west

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 12:01:27 pm »
i think the pheonix is definately a good choice, have a chat with billy russel, he's had one for about 7 months now and annoys the hell out of me with his, "mines got more suction than yours, ner ner ne ner nerrrr"  ;D cheers mr ingram, i just can't shut him up now you told him that. ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 12:27:10 pm »
I've been promising a cc down south that I would give him a demo with the Titan. He arranged to very similar sized jobs, both £140'ish  each. He did the first with his twin vac portable and envirodri and was half way through the lounge when I got there. Can't knock the quality of the job he'd done as it was spot on.
We went to the second job and did it with the Titan. 2 bedrooms, lounge and hall. It took us 1 hour 10 minutes for £140.
He wouldn't tell me how long the first job had taken him until we'd finished the secod job as his main interest was in the productivity of a Tm v the portable system.
'You've just save me three hours,' he said.
I think the economics speak for themselves 8)
Simon

Mike Halliday

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 12:43:09 pm »
My mate has a chemspec truckmount in my unit which he is selling for £2500 an absolute bargain i know the machine and have demoed if for a few interested people and it runs perfect.

why it hasn't sold i have no idea

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 12:44:41 pm »
Over 4 hours to clean 3 rooms and a hall - what the bloody hell was he doing all that time ?! :o

I would bite Ian's hand off for 3500 for the prowler - if I wasn't tapped out paying for my wedding I would have had it myself.

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 06:38:33 pm »
Over 4 hours to clean 3 rooms and a hall - what the bloody hell was he doing all that time ?! :o

As I was reading down the thread, I was doing the maths and thought the same thing :o
I'll always accept that a TM is faster than a portable but it all depends on where you want to go with your carpet cleaning.
I have first refusal on a quite new transit with TM fitted. Trouble is I have plans to slow down over the next few years so is it worth spending out so much when I can carry on as I currently do with the scorpian/LM.
If I thought I still had 20 years in me doing such a physical job then of course it would make sense to go down the TM route.

Simon, next time your down this way let me know because I would like to see your TM system.

steven Banks

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 06:58:00 pm »
My mate has a chemspec truckmount in my unit which he is selling for £2500 an absolute bargain i know the machine and have demoed if for a few interested people and it runs perfect.

why it hasn't sold i have no idea

Is this the Ebay one that is listed time & time again?

Colin Day

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 07:11:17 pm »
I did three bedrooms, stairs, hallway and a bathroom carpet today, 1 hour 20 minutes on the dot. If you're organised enough and methodical, it's a doddle with a porty.  ;)

Jim_77

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 07:25:15 pm »
If you think any machine future-proofs you, you've got another thing coming ;D  Whatever you 've got, you always want something else!  But something like a prowler or phoenix will definitely bump you up to the next level mate.

Generally accepted rule of thumb is that a TM is roughly twice as quick as a portable, but all depends on what truckmount you're comparing to what portable!

If comparing a scorpion to a prowler the gap will be much smaller than comparing a ninja to a titan!

I've found domestic carpet work averages half the time it used to, that's comparing a ninja to a bluewave which is a mid-to-upper range TM in terms of power

Upholstery, not quite so much time saving if you pre-spray and agitate prior to extraction, maybe 3 to 3.5 hours with a ninja compared to about 2 with the TM.  There's not as much donkey work the TM can take away on upholstery, seems as much more of it is in the preparation (at least the way I do it)

On big commercial carpet jobs, the time gap increases a bit more I've found.  BUT the most important thing is you don't work yourself into the ground with a TM, you just crack along at a decent pace and you're nowhere near as knackered as with a portable.  An RX-20 reduces the fatigue even less.

With a constant flow tool like a drimaster or sapphire, coupled with a good extraction detergent, you can also thrash through big volumes of commercial upholstery cleaning.  A lot of the time you only need to pre-spray and scrub the bad parts, you can just do the rest with the rinse from the tool.

Don't even give a TM a second thought, once you get one you'll never look back.  As your namesake Jeremy would say... POWERRRRRRRRRRRRRR :D :D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 07:27:10 pm »
 [/quote]

[/quote]

he has had it on EBay, but he listed it badly..... not enough info & photos
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 08:21:20 pm »

[/quote]

he has had it on EBay, but he listed it badly..... not enough info & photos
[/quote]

I thought the same Mike - either he's not fussed about selling it or he needs an ad writer.

elliott cleaning

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 08:33:41 pm »

Come on Steve - you know what we're like down south - so laid back that we're horizontal most of the time.

It might be one thing as to how long we take - the other side of the equation is how much we charge  them for the benefit of our presence ;)

Regards

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 08:49:16 pm »
I was / still am interested in it but I couldn't find much out about the machine from other users to get an overall feel for what kind of a machine it is, reputation wise.
I just worried about parts etc, especailly with the hours on it.

Simon

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 08:51:03 pm »

Come on Steve - you know what we're like down south - so laid back that we're horizontal most of the time.

It might be one thing as to how long we take - the other side of the equation is how much we charge  them for the benefit of our presence ;)

Regards

I agree entirely my learned friend, even so I think he must be drinking too much tea with the client to be taking that long  ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 09:47:59 pm »
Steve,
He's really meticulous and it shows in his work. Like most newbies, he's never seen other more efficient ways of doing things and has collected a lot of bad habits that cost lots of time.

Simon

clarkson

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 09:54:59 pm »

I would bite Ian's hand off for 3500 for the prowler - if I wasn't tapped out paying for my wedding I would have had it myself.

hi steve
iam thinkin the same, but then as others are saying much wants more so then i would want a titan.

did you sell the ninja, if you sold the ninja for 1300  magma for 350 and airflex you would be about there wouldnt you.

i need to do more research on them as dont fully understand them and the difference between the models.

then of course if you buy a stand alone unit you still need a van so price starts going up. with a porty i can use the window cleaning vivaro.

cheers

john

neil kellett

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 11:04:24 pm »
Same as myself i use the Vivaro. Got an Ionics in there and when I reverse into the drive way, I fill up the sol tank of the Advance with pure water and feed the hose out of the van. An unsuspecting custard or passer by nosey parker would think it is a TM as the ionics has that kind of look with the baffeled tank bolted into the chassis. What I'd love to know is, With a prowler, could you hook it up to the pump with the hoze lock connectors? The pump has an auto switch off so the situation would be, as I depress the trigger on the stair tool or rotovac or wand or whatever the pump would come back on and force water into the Prowler? Would that damage the pump? Could the Prowler handle that? Where is the waste tank? Is it a separate hose into the toilet type of thing? Can a prowler be left on the van during the winter? Is the one going for 3500 the old model that looks like a steam engine or that newer model? Just wondering.
Vilyetyet' c paboti mozhna v dva c4yota!
One can lose a job in the blink of an eye!

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 05:06:25 am »
I did three bedrooms, stairs, hallway and a bathroom carpet today, 1 hour 20 minutes on the dot. If you're organised enough and methodical, it's a doddle with a porty.  ;)

Well  explain your method of organization ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

clarkson

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 02:04:20 pm »
Same as myself i use the Vivaro. Got an Ionics in there and when I reverse into the drive way, I fill up the sol tank of the Advance with pure water and feed the hose out of the van. An unsuspecting custard or passer by nosey parker would think it is a TM as the ionics has that kind of look with the baffeled tank bolted into the chassis. What I'd love to know is, With a prowler, could you hook it up to the pump with the hoze lock connectors? The pump has an auto switch off so the situation would be, as I depress the trigger on the stair tool or rotovac or wand or whatever the pump would come back on and force water into the Prowler? Would that damage the pump? Could the Prowler handle that? Where is the waste tank? Is it a separate hose into the toilet type of thing? Can a prowler be left on the van during the winter? Is the one going for 3500 the old model that looks like a steam engine or that newer model? Just wondering.

hi
careful doing that. i know its different but i fed a pressure washer with my wfp pump. it bust the pump, i think the pw pulled to much and had a syphoning effect on the diaghram.

but iam wondering if i could use the 650 wfp tank as a water supply.?

cheers

john