Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

from edge2edge

Re: My first walker
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2011, 06:28:44 am »
Morning Wayne You made the right decision for yourself and thats why you are self employed.I tell people i work with people and not for people and many a time go out of my way to move things etc especially when i am working in less able peoples properties but always have the right to walk if i think they are rude or taking the p which is extremely rare ........Regards Alan(swindon)

Mr Dvae

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2011, 08:14:50 am »
hi wayne did exactly the same thing myself 2 days ago,
i only make money when my wand is passing over the carpet, if the custy pays my hourly rate i'll gladly do the dusting , moving of crap etc so long as they don' mind me charging them £60-70 /hr for it.
things like can you move your van a little, wait while i go to the bank (should have already been) etc. all cost time so charge the customer for it .
i clean carpets... not tidy rooms.
Well done wayne.

Dave

clinton

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2011, 08:32:05 am »
I would have done the same too wayne..

I have done it in the past and would do it again..Your your own boss..

After even a few more years in business your client base will be even larger so dont wory..

robert meldrum

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2011, 09:03:44 am »
Right decision Wayne and Tom Moore from Kent.....................I don't know how long you've been in this industry but from your posts I'd guess you are really a house cleaner who does the odd carpet cleaning job.

Most on here a CARPET AND UPHOLSTERY CLEANERS who've either been around a while or done some training in not just cleaning but marketing.

As a result, they have met other industry pro's, read a lot, experimented a lot and found that certain things allow them to be competitive but still make a good profit.

One of these is the logistics of arriving, preparing and completing the task. In my and I'm sure the vast majority on here have no problem if a few items need to moved and returned. That's usually beds, MOVABLE bedroom / livingroom units which only take seconds to move.

The " bomb site " scenario is a totally different state of affairs and can easily double the time you have to spend clearing up someone's mess.

In my early days I came across some very untidy rooms and if they were not too bad would move stuff around, but the service we provide is the cleaning of carpets and upholstery ( which can be another nightmare ) and if someone wants their carpets cleaned they'd have to be pretty thick not to realise the carpet surface has to be available to clean.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2011, 09:13:41 am »
I had a very similar situation as Wayne, the house of an eccentric who collected old newspapers and seemingly everything else she came across on her travels. I took one look at the job and decided I needed to escape and so told her I'd left my wand at the last job. I didn't like lying to her but I couldn't bring myself to tell her I didn't want to do her job because her house was a tip (and that would have been the polite version) No need to hurt people's feeling, I think.

Simon

derek west

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2011, 11:10:53 am »
first thing i would of said to her wayne, "have you got carpet under there love" with a cheeky smile of course, i then would of gone on to compensate the time spent moving all the crap by not vaccing, and not agitating, just spray and go. it might sopund like i'm lowering my standards but lets face it, the results i'd achieve from a speed clean would probably look fantastic in a house like that, same hourly rate, same amazed look on the custies face. everybody happy, but i think its the condom that broke the donkeys back in waynes case, personally i'd of tried it on for size, joooooooke, joooooke, i'd of probably would of got some gloves on and chucked it behind the cupboard. but it doesn't mean wayne was wrong in not doing the job, its his business and he's doing okay up to now so who can knock the guy for walking.
ive only ever walked once.

walked in to inspect, and it had a dirty great big coffee stain in a wool carpet, not one cup but over the years his wife (so he told me) had spilt coffee of the bedside cupboard loads of times. same exact spot.
his exact words were, "its only coffee, that'll come out no problem" i knew then i had a problem, after explaining to him that there might be a chance that it won't all come out, he then said "i thought you was a carpet cleaner" ;D i politely declined the job to a barrage of abuse, of which i smiled politely and said good day. ;D

Phillip Mold

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2011, 11:33:04 am »
One small observation ................

If you visit homes to quote rather than do it over the phone this sort of thing would be either avoided or priced accordingly!
Doing the best job in the world as well as I can

garry22

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2011, 01:16:41 pm »
Wayne,

As a self employed person, you have a precious thing called CHOICE.

It's a lovely feeling to stick two fingers up to a person or situation; something employees cannot do.

If you are happy with your decision then fine.

wynne jones

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2011, 02:53:03 pm »
I had a very similar situation as Wayne, the house of an eccentric who collected old newspapers and seemingly everything else she came across on her travels. I took one look at the job and decided I needed to escape and so told her I'd left my wand at the last job. I didn't like lying to her but I couldn't bring myself to tell her I didn't want to do her job because her house was a tip (and that would have been the polite version) No need to hurt people's feeling, I think.

Simon

Probably hurt her feelings more waiting for you to come back. Think you are rationalising that one Simon.

But your right, that one would be a job for the council. 
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2011, 04:00:28 pm »
Mike,
She knew I wasn't coming back and seemed grateful for my being delicate enough to spare her blushes. No need to embarrass people.
Simon

Mr Dvae

« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2011, 05:30:25 pm »
nice one Simon. i like your attitude.

Dave.