This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Steve CM

Do you Protectakote or not?
« on: July 25, 2011, 12:00:17 pm »
I have always painted my vans floor and to be honest if it was a big van and system i would all the time. But i am in the process of fitting a combo with a 400 layflat, one reel, one pump.

the only place it can leak is at the hose reel so i'm wondering wether its worth painting the floor?

Do you paint your floors or not? If not have you found it a massive issue and leading to rotten floors etc?

Thanks

SB Cleaning

Re: Do you Protectakote or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 12:08:45 pm »
Had my system my van for over a year with no protektacote i have had no issues at all

Tom White

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 12:13:42 pm »
Yeh, I paint mine.  My floor is always wet.  I overfill, I forget to put the lid on the tank and drive off, I sling my poles in the back and they leak water, etc.

I would like to think I'll have the van for another five years, so I think the £70 it costs is worth it.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 12:15:02 pm »
Had my system in my van for over a year with no protektacote i have had no issues at all

Steve CM

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 12:19:26 pm »
Yeh, I paint mine.  My floor is always wet.  I overfill, I forget to put the lid on the tank and drive off, I sling my poles in the back and they leak water, etc.

I would like to think I'll have the van for another five years, so I think the £70 it costs is worth it.

yeah its always been my thoughts too. Just wanted some other views. It would save a lot of time and aggro not painting it though.

Also how many litres would a combo van floor take to do if i did paint it? Anyone know??

Tom White

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 12:29:32 pm »
It's no agro; get two tins of primer spray paint and spray that to the van floor; then two coats of protecktacote.  You can do it easily in one afternoon.

Steve CM

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 12:42:31 pm »
I have painted 5 van floors tosh i know what aggro it is  ;D

Blue hands, High as a kite and aching knees  ;D

Tom White

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 01:02:49 pm »

You have been doing it the 'ard way then, 'cos that was not my experience. ;D

Sean Dyer

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 01:44:50 pm »
I didnt do mine, but am starting to think i shoud as i get alot of water like tosh says, and some damp on the ply now, just dont wanna take everything out etc... Also awkward leaving it open at mine as at a terraced house..

Is it worth it, can you ddamage anything not doing it?

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 01:53:07 pm »
I made a slopping floor and then I stuck roofing rubber sheet down and just folded the corners upwards, so that any spillage pours out of the back tailgate.(I get a lot if I forget to switch the hose fill off)

mathewl

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 01:54:21 pm »
 8)
Usually we don't paint the floors. Sometimes If situation is like yours, we recommend painting the floors.

Steve CM

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 03:13:13 pm »

You have been doing it the 'ard way then, 'cos that was not my experience. ;D

clean the floor, prep it, paint it. Pretty straight forward but aggro  :P

Steve CM

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 03:16:11 pm »
8)
Usually we don't paint the floors. Sometimes If situation is like yours, we recommend painting the floors.

whats unique about my situation?

Steve CM

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 03:16:54 pm »
I didnt do mine, but am starting to think i shoud as i get alot of water like tosh says, and some damp on the ply now, just dont wanna take everything out etc... Also awkward leaving it open at mine as at a terraced house..

Is it worth it, can you ddamage anything not doing it?

i wouldn't have ply on the floor

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 03:38:08 pm »
i used 2 ltrs on my combo, in 2 coats! to prime the van floor i went over it with medium sand paper to give the painted surface a "key"

ive thought an alternative could be a tarpoline or even towels   :)

Tom White

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 04:17:11 pm »
i used 2 ltrs on my combo, in 2 coats! to prime the van floor i went over it with medium sand paper to give the painted surface a "key"

Mikecam gave me a tip which was brilliant; don't bother with the sandpaper - just get two cans of primer paint and spray the van floor with it.  It gives a better key for the protectakote to stick to than the sandpaper, it's quicker and far far easier too.

It's quick, easy, no rubbing and sweating (phnaaar phnaaaar).

LWC

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 04:48:36 pm »
I just put a rubber mat down in mine under the tank, if it leaks it either comes out the back doors or, dont know what yours is like steve but as mine is a crew cab i have foot wells so the water goes into them and ive popped the drain plugs there and painted that part of the floor in some black paint i had lying about.

Theres never any water sat for any long periods of time in there...so is it worth it? In my opionion...no

Steve CM

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 04:54:05 pm »
Footwells? Water I wouldn't be letting that happen! Mines just a flat floor. Might give it a go for a week or so and see if water collects up. If without any leaks there is then I'll paint it :)

p1w1

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 04:59:33 pm »

Mikecam gave me a tip which was brilliant; don't bother with the sandpaper - just get two cans of primer paint and spray the van floor with it.  It gives a better key for the protectakote to stick to than the sandpaper, it's quicker and far far easier too.

It's quick, easy, no rubbing and sweating (phnaaar phnaaaar).
thats the way did it after you mentioned it before tosh, was hassle free really

LWC

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 05:06:50 pm »
Footwells? Water I wouldn't be letting that happen! Mines just a flat floor. Might give it a go for a week or so and see if water collects up. If without any leaks there is then I'll paint it :)

Yeh footwells, as its a crew cab, the seats fold down flat. Great for storage  ;D