This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

roseway

Builders Cleans on Housing Estates
« on: October 18, 2005, 02:33:34 pm »
Our entire business is working on New Build houses for the likes of Wimpey, Bovis etc.  They are now bringing a rule forbidding the use of ladders on site - even though they are not illegal yet.   Cleaning windows on new build houses involves cleaning all the crap off the glass and removing the protective tape from the glass, cleaning the gutters and PVC etc.   Currently we do this either using the scaffolding if still left in place, or a cherry picker, or ladders.  However, they are now suggesting the use of Water Poles and from enquiries I have made to date, I am told these are NOT suitable for builders cleans.   Does anyone out there have any experience in this direction??

P @ F

Re: Builders Cleans on Housing Estates
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 02:46:58 pm »
Hi mate , i used to do builders cleans for a company in plymouth , on Persimons and Waine and others , i have not long been on wfp and from my expirience of the job , i can hand on heart say ......Absolutely no chance of wfp on builder cleans , all that baked on plastic film on the ledges , and not to mention the slap happy rendering of some builders , they seemed to get more on the glass than on the walls !   LOL

Get yourself a helicopter dude !   ;D

Rich P @ F
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

REVIVE-A-DRIVE

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 03:04:07 pm »
can't all the crap be cleaned off from the inside, an then a final clean with wfp

P @ F

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 03:11:37 pm »
We used to get a majority of it , even if we had to sit out on the ledge , it would not always mean that you could reach the furthest part of the window.
And these days with the regs , its probably illigal to sit on window ledges  LOL

rICH  p @ f
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Jake

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 04:01:48 pm »
roseway

We recently talked to the Build Director of a large national company we work for in Devon. We asked him about future contracts, regarding the use of ladders. He told us that that his company were looking to introduce the '3 points of contact' rule. That is to allow ladder use as long as the operative maintains 3 points of contact with the ladder, obviously, 2 feet and 1 hand at all times on the ladder.We have been banned from using ladders earlier in the year, but recently have been allowed to work on them using the '3 points of contact' rule. We expect that to continue.

The nature of builders cleans are such that using wfp's would not be effective at all, try getting off mastic, glue and mortar etc, no chance!

I think that once the 'dust has settled' regarding WAHD, most construction companies will come to a sensible and realistic approach to ladder use on site (we hope!)

Regards...Jake Dillon..Westclean
Exeter, Devon