This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

John Walker

DO YOU USE YOUR HOSE FOR EVERY JOB?
« on: October 16, 2005, 05:29:29 pm »
I have been using my hose reel system from the boot of my car quite successfully on domestic properties -  particularly where I can reverse in to the customers drive.  

However yesterday, I had a round where I either had to work from the road or there were gardens where it was difficult to take the hose round flower beds etc.  I don't think there was one staight pull the whole day.  This really slowed me up and the hose was a real pain.    

How do you experienced van mount guys get round this?  

Do you persevere with the hose all the time no matter what the obstructions etc. or do you revert to a trolley or backpack in these circumstances?

If you do use the hose, whats the secret of getting it round obstructions at domestic properties?

John
BaxWalker Window Cleaning

Sarah Sarill

Re: DO YOU USE YOUR HOSE FOR EVERY JOB?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 05:38:07 pm »
Hi John,

we have a 1000ltr van mounted system which we now only use for commercial work.

We too had the same problem as you, particularly hazzardous when the hose has to lay accross aths or public right of ways.  The dredded flower pots and wheelie bins drove hubby mad.

We invested in an Omnitrolley and find it so much easlier for domestic.  No worrying about the van door being left open, no worrying about people tripping over the hose and no worrying over breaking pots etc.

The downside with the Inmitrolley is its quite low so would invest in a sack trolley type system (purchased or DIY). 

Horses for courses though - there are w/c on here who work happily and problem free from their van mount.

Regards,
Sarah
Sarah

John Walker

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 05:46:32 pm »

Thanks Sarah

I should have asked the question of whether the user is working alone or with others.  Two people sorting the hose on difficult domestics would be a doddle but working on your own when you can't see what happening at the other end of the hose can be both difficult and worrying.

I do have an Omnitrolley but thought I would be able work with my boot mounted system most of the time.  On the rounds where I can use the boot-mount system, it's nice not having to lift the trolley in and out.

John

REVIVE-A-DRIVE

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 06:26:29 pm »
hi
i don't hav to many pro's working from van with hose's,
but i didn't like taking the hose through people's house when they don't hav access down the side,
so i made this back pack
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=12469.0
and i now some times use this if i hav to jump over a back gate!

kingfisher

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 10:46:33 pm »
Hi when I first started using the pole I had the same problem broken flower pots, snagged hoses ect but I found over time it just becomes instinctive were to park the van, taking the hose to the farthest part of the house first, which way to go round the house ect come to me now almost with out thinking.

Kev

John Walker

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 11:42:44 pm »
Hi when I first started using the pole I had the same problem broken flower pots, snagged hoses ect but I found over time it just becomes instinctive were to park the van, taking the hose to the farthest part of the house first, which way to go round the house ect come to me now almost with out thinking.

Kev

Thanks Kev,

Perhaps I should give it a bit longer - I've been used to the freedom of a backpack and trolley for a long time but need to think of my back long term.

As I still have to work from my car, I built a van mount type system in the boot with fixed hose reel and shurflo pump/VariStream controller.  The pure water is in 20 litre containers in the boot and footwells but well within the loading for the car.  Once loaded, the only thing I have to do is move the pick-up hose from drum to drum.  With the backpack and trolley I seemed to be continually lifting drums and filling them.

I just need to master that damn hose now :)

Cheers

John

Ian_Giles

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 05:56:05 am »
I would agree with Kev, start from the farthest point first!

If you are parked by one of these awkward accounts, draw out enough hose from the reel and walk up path or whatever access you have to the property feeding the hose out as you go and then work backwards.

For the next week or two I shall still be working out of the back of my car, though unlike yours mine is a hatchback.
But I also use my trolley, I have started putting my trolley on the roof rack :o
Not something you could do with an omnitrolley though :-\
But it does mean I have all my bits on board so I can use the trolley when I need to.
But like you I am concerned about my back (currently having to put up with some sciatica, beginning to ease now thankfully) and my Dr has told me that if I continue working in the manner I am at the moment I'm at risk of back injury.
The continual lifting of water containers in and out of the car, and in particular over the tailgate isn't a good one for the back.
Ergo, today should see me finally order my van ;D
I'm still going to have some 25l containers in the van, and still intend to use the trolley at times, but I'm also goinig to make up a trolley of my own as the one I have, though very good, has me twisted and bent over slightly as I wheel it around, so I'll probably make up a  sack truck based, or buy one from the guy who has just started making them.

If I was in your position, and was intending to continue working from the car, I would fit a tow bar and get hold of a small/medium trailer, you could take more water and have much quicker access to hose and containers, plus you could always take your trolley along with you, a simple matter to drop the back of the trailer and wheel out your trolley. ;)

Regards,

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES