This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jb1975

Level of fitness required to clean windows
« on: October 16, 2005, 03:28:14 am »
Hi all,
Ive enjoyed reading the forums for the last couple of weeks that Ive been a member, a friendly and informative group. I am still deciding as to whether or not I can become a window cleaner for the following reason.

My major concern is the level of fitness required.  I am 30 years old, 6ft, 130lbs. When I was 25, I worked in TNT Tamworth for 3months as a parcel sorter lugging bikes, boxes, tvs etc around all night.

My question, is window cleaning more physically tiring, intensive than parcel sorting (or another physical type job)?

ian davison

Re: Level of fitness required to clean windows
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 07:36:22 am »
Hi Chris,
Not every window cleaner starts off in top phisical form!
You develop the the required level of fitness the more you work.
Wfp puts alot of stress on the upper body,arms,shoulders and back where as traditional methods is all leg work.
My dad started window cleaning at 48 and is now 53 and is still going stong.
I live in Nuneaton so if you want to come out for a day let me know and i'll arange a day that suits you.
                   Ewen

ian davison

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 07:40:28 am »
 Oops just checked your profile and you live in Cardif.
Im sure someone from that neck of the woods can help.

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 09:16:29 am »
I used to run Pubs and I only lifted pints and moved a few barrels to keep fit.
Started window cleaning aged 37 could hardly move after the first couple of days but you get used to it and become fitter..
I am 30 years old, 6ft, 130lbs.
I was at 30 now at 51 weigh in at 210lb (trying to loose a bit) still feeling like a 19 year old (can't find one that wants me though)
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 10:05:05 am »
Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

I started window cleaning only a couple of years ago, and I remember after my first day I was completely shattered and felt like I'd been given a good kicking.

Four hours used to knack me.  But as Ewan says, your body adapts and you get fitter.  At the same time, your knowledge and experience grows and you become faster.  Your technique also improves and you find the quickest method of tackling each job; just the little things; where to leave your bucket, where to put your ladders, where to leave your car.

Simple stuff; but it's the little things that make you more money.

Remember also, there's lads here nearly twice your (our) age who still clean windows for a living.   So if these 'coffin dodgers' can do it; so can we. 

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 04:13:58 pm »
If you are really 6ft and 130lbs then that makes you 9st 4lbs. I reckon that's rather underweight for a six footer. I would have thought that (depending on your build) if you were between 11st 7lbs and 12 st 7lbs you'd be about right.

You don't want to be overweight, but to be two stones under average seems very unusual.

That being said if you're very lean at least you haven't got much weight to carry around with you!
It's a game of three halves!

marc al

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 04:17:17 pm »
  According to the anti fat brigade I am the ideal wieght of a man 7'8" tall!

jb1975

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 04:51:48 pm »
thanks to all whove replied so far. yes, 130lb is my weight. believe me , wish i was 12 or 13stone, especially with winter coming up

neil100

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 05:30:34 pm »
Hi chris,

I,ve been cleaning windows for over 25 years, 40 hrs a week. I,m fitter then a butchers dog.Still fast but not as quick as 20 years ago.

My son is 17yrs old and as been working with me for 3 months.He only does downstairs and he still cant get anywhere near my speed.And hes a swimmer and water polo player.

If you can handle the bordem,then your body will cope. take a little time though.

Give it a try.nel

dai

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 05:56:55 pm »
I went back to w/c when I was 50 I'm now 63 and Weigh nearly 15 stone And 6ft tall.
 I often put in a 12 hr day and usually work from 8.30 till 5.30, 5 days a week with the odd saturday if we are behind.
You will get fitter and maintain your fitness as long as you carry on.
It's a case of mind over matter, I'v had young lads with me that are knackered by 3pm and my daughter in her college days grafting for a solid 8 hrs. Unless you are buying a full round you will not have a full time job to start with. your fitness will come as your work load increases. Dai

Dick

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005, 06:58:00 pm »
I didn't start w/c until last year, had my 57th birthday this week. The first 4 weeks were hell, never had as many baths, but now all ok. Still get the occasional twinge, but that's when I've done too much as we all do, just to finish another job whilst the weather's good.
Good Luck, give it a go, you don't know what you can do until you try.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 06:53:07 pm »
I went back to w/c when I was 50 I'm now 63 and Weigh nearly 15 stone And 6ft tall.

You obviously feel as young as the woman you are married to Dai! ;D

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005, 07:06:17 pm »
Tut Tut - Malc   ;D
Sarah

John Walker

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2005, 09:55:22 pm »
thanks to all whove replied so far. yes, 130lb is my weight. believe me , wish i was 12 or 13stone, especially with winter coming up

I reckon you could stick a brush on your head and save the cost of a pole   ;D

no offence mate
BaxWalker Window Cleaning

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2005, 10:08:04 pm »
 ;D

rosskesava

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2005, 10:46:27 pm »
I'm 47, 5ft 7ins and a bit, and at the moment I'm 13 stone. When I started window cleaning 5 years ago I was 11 stone odd.

My first day window cleaning....... I got home and had to up the stairs like an 80 year old. I didn't work the next day. I can remember one day shortly after that when I struggled to get out the car because my legs didn't want to do what I asked them to - that is to 'move'.

Today, we started at 9am, worked solid till about 1pm, had a 45 minute break and worked solid until about 5.30pm.

Tonight I don't feel tired at all. I guess the fitness comes with time.

Cheers

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2005, 11:06:09 pm »
Hope this isn't too personal Ross, but where has the extra weight come from? Is it added muscle? Sounds like it if you're fitter than when you started.

rosskesava

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2005, 11:29:49 pm »
Hi Malc

Er..... Ok. I've a bit of a stomach but not much.

I see an osteopath every so often just to keep time and aging at bay for as long as I can and he reckoned I may be maybe 4lbs over weight but no more than that.

I am definately tons fitter than when I started. It's only a small thing but to begin with carrying a 25ltr barrel of water out to the work van used to do me in. Now I can carry 2 with no real effort.

As for the extra weight - dunno. I think I was maybe under weight anyway.

The job I done before this for 12 odd years was shift work that was all over the place and I didn't realise until 6 months after being sacked (for drying my socks in a microwave) just how jet lagged and tired that job made me.

Before that I worked for the volunteer services overseas solid for about 10 or so years with out coming back to the Uk. My diet was hardly a fast foods/beer laden/fat saturated/good living type diet although I ate well.

I like to think it's all muscle. Yup. It's muscle.

Cheers

texas girl

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2005, 01:52:41 am »
Hey chaps!

Yes; window cleaning is more demanding physically than people realize.

6 hours of window cleaning is like doing 4 hours of solid exercise. When I  train someone new they always comment on the physical part.

It will keep you in shape!

Hugs,

Texas Girl :-*
Debbie

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2005, 07:53:44 am »
It will keep you in shape

It'll keep you fit, the keeping inshape part has'nt worked for me,either that or they are putting the wrong sizes on cloths these days...
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz