This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

What % of us have one ? (Scotland)

Yes
50%
6 (50%)
No
50%
6 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 11

williamx

Re: Window Cleaning Licence
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2005, 02:53:51 pm »
To make sure that the licence works, and to stop the "cowboy" its needs to be enforced correctly.

Now the only way you can do this is to make it an offence to hire a window cleaner unless he is licenced, that way the customer is responsable for policing the licence.

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2005, 05:21:54 pm »
Great idea williamX.

A lot of personal and political opinions have be posted on this thread and I was just wondering if the guys in Scotland feel the licencing/ID thing has been of value to their industry or not. 

As they have been operating under it for a while now - what are the pitfalls, can rogue traders bypass the system and have they any ideas to improve it (such as yours WilliamX).  There have been 11 votes so there are at least 11 opinions to state.  Noticably there are 6 of you who dont have one - why is that ?  Please be honest - you have read our thoughts here and would appreciate the reality and true picture of the situation as is.

I think us southeners have more than given our opinions as asked, and would like to see some thoughts form the people its affecting at present.

Great thread by the way !!!!

Regards,

Sarah

Sarah

dai

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2005, 08:00:43 pm »
A licence maybe but not another money making racket. When they have you over a barrel they don't let go easily. I payed £265 for my wifes visa when she came to this country, 2 years down the line they want another £335 to let me keep her here.
What happens if you don't pay up? They would split you up and send her back.
They have just introduced licenses for Kokkle pickers round here. there is no fee to pay for this. Why then should you have to come up with a tidy sum in order to carry out your trade. This could well be a human rights issue if challenged in the courts. Dai

Windae Cleaner

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2005, 10:43:20 pm »
There you have it. A draw !!
I personnally think a few points came out loud and clear.

1. Most WCs would welcome a licence scheme if it ensured a standard ( Pub Lib Insurance/IR Reg)nationally. (Scotland or UK)

2. Have one national licence. Not one for every town or district you work in. Currently I work in two different towns in same district and 3 other districts. I am required therefore to have five licences?   Do I ? mmm, not telling. Although I will say I am a Licenced window cleaner.

3. If we required to obtain a licence to carry out trade , the least we expect is that the authourities enforce this.
My main complaint is that they dont and never have. This allows the cowboys (: Definition _WCs who are not licenced ,not insured and not registered self employed ) to carry out work for funny money in our areas and generally not giving a good impression of our trade.
This is one of the main reasons why self employed WCs dont get a licence.
They think it`s a con and a waste of time and are willing to take risk of not being pulled up. It is therefore in the best interests of Local Authourities to have a fair and workable scheme in place that will attract WCs and that will make it easier for them to stop the cowboys ; not 100%  but better than doing nothing I`m sure you will agree.

Finally,who is going to do something about this wholly unsatisfactory system?Not the  licence itself, which I am in favour, but the Local Authourities who abuse it and restrict the work of legitimate WCs
The Nat Fed it seems have been unable too . In response to a complaint about the scheme earlier on this year in Window Talk, all they did was reprint a letter they sent to an MP years ago. Not good enough.
Maybe if we are to have a new organisation (PWCA ?)looking after our needs , they can take these comments on board. They will surely attract WCs here in Scotland if they can actually do something to help us.
Thank you for all who voted and aired an opinion on this topic
Paul

paul - windae cleaner

AuRavelling79

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2005, 11:00:02 am »
1. A friend of mine was knocked over by a young lad driving a car the other week, the said lad has no licence.

2. I know a person living about 100 yards from here, that has no TV licence - but his TV works fine without it.

3. I can obtain a firearm for about eighty quid if I want one - it will take me about two hours, and the seller isn't going to ask to see a licence.

4. Licences allow the authorities to control the licence holders, never those without!

5. Because of my medical condition, I limit my windowcleaning work to 6 days a month, so whilst the clever ones amongst you are interfering with my business, and organising my licence arrangements, perhaps you would be so kind as to let me know what discount I'll get, only being a part timer?

6.Oh yes, somone further up the thread mentioned "disabled badge" I think in the same sentence as "fiddlers".

7. I'd like to point out that I hold such a badge, I wonder what, exactly, was the point you were trying to make?

Perhaps those of you that you like to bring yet more licensing would care to stop now, whilst you are losing, or at least attempt to think first?

Baldeagle

Taking your points one by one baldeagle. (Which I have inserted in your post)

1. Your friend can approach the uninsured losses bureau who consider claims for the victims of uninsured motor accidents (I was carrying an eighty year old gent in a company car ten years ago and we were hit by an uninsured driver, I was OK but he suffered breathing difficulties and shock and spent the night in hospital - being an "old soldier" - both literally and by nature - he got over a grand for his pain and suffering from the bureau.)

2. I'd shop the guy with no TV license.

3. Scary but true. Prices have come down then? All such dealers should be punished severely. (Whatever that means.)

4. I agree.

5. Sorry to hear that - perhaps a discount based on your disability when you declare it (perhaps along with producing medical proof) to the licensing authority. If any part time window cleaner does it through choice well, I might only drive my motor bike once a week but I don't get discounted road tax.

6. Perhaps some people have fraudulently obtained or used a disabled badge - that would make them a fiddler in my view. My mother - who is over eighty and has had two seperate heart by-pass ops has angina and cannot walk very far has a blue badge - but if I were to put it in my car to go to the shops without her then I would also be a fiddler wouldn't I?

7. When you obtained your disabled badge, what did the producing authority say when you told them you were window cleaning part-time? Did they not assume you'd be climbing ladders? 

My father in law was registered disabled because he could not walk without stumbling due to a neurological disease - yet he could stand still and drive without assistance. Wanting to keep active he would go with a builder friend digging holes and sawing wood from a stationary position and he could legitimately use his badge when in the vehicle.

Of course anyone who obtains a disabled badge or similar without declaring what they can actually do demeans the system for those that genuinely need it. IMO
It's a game of three halves!