This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dave Connolly

Public Liability Insurance in N.Ireland.
« on: October 14, 2005, 11:18:53 am »
Hi,
    Been reading all the great info on here for a couple of months now and have  decided that domestic window cleaning is a good business to get into.
  So I approached a new business start-up programme who are willing to help me but I gotta get P.L. Insurance they tell me.
  Christ!!Here in N.Ireland the cheapest quote I could get was nearly £1100.
So,any of "Gods of the pane" got any ideas on how to get cheaper insurance here in N.Ireland?.....cant believe some of you guys are getting it for around £70.
Thanks for any info.

ian m

Re: Public Liability Insurance in N.Ireland.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 02:38:25 pm »
Been trying for 3 years still cant get it :'( :'( :'(.

I dont have it so I stay away from commercial work.

Its the same all over N.Ireland.

Regard yourself lucky you even got a quote, most insurance companies didn't even bother to phone me back.

regards

Ian

I know you are out there....... I can hear you breathing

Dave Connolly

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 02:58:23 pm »
Bummer....the company I approached to get the help with starting up say they wont get involved if I dont get it.

ian m

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 03:18:07 pm »
I did a business start up 3 years ago. Although they advised me to get it, it is not a legal requirement to have it. I did the course and got my grant without any comeback whatsoever.

Why not ask their help in getting it?

Most people who have it in Northern Ireland have got it through and employer, trade association or union.

where abouts are you?

Ian

Dave Connolly

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 03:25:30 pm »
Hi Ian,based in L/Derry.I'm going through the Jobseekers/Invest N.I.  New business programme.Didn't realise it wasn't a legal requirement...but the guy I was talking to really seemed to make a point about having to get it.
  By the way would like to know if your a WFP user and if so hows it going down with the customers here in N.I.

ian m

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 04:11:59 pm »
Hi Dave

The scheme I was on was an invest NI project, its sounds like the same type of thing.

I do indeed use a wfp but I also use trad methods as well.

I started wfp in May so far I have only had one complaint and I have to admit I did a pretty shoddy job, I went back sorted it out and didn't lose the customer.

when I started wfp I was careful not to overexplain the system to the customers. I highlighted the wahd side of things and also the benefits of cleaning the frames. I have lost count of requests I have had to do cons roofs soffits etc. One of my customers even fitted a gate on one side of her house to make access easier for me.

So far so good.

if I can be of help let me know

regards
Ian

surecleansystems

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 05:55:07 pm »
Hi it's Art here in Omagh we started wfp'ing back some time ago I now have a secondary biz making and supplying systems check out my site if you wish www.surecleansystems.com it really is the way to go, but regarding your insurrance make sure you inform your insurance brokers or company that your going ladderless we managed to save nearly 2000 pounds on insurance this did include employers liability as well but we reckoned on a saving of around a grand...... and do push the point they can be a little slow on the uptake especially the brokers, it could be worth it.

Art.

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 07:14:21 pm »
N Ireland has always been a rip-off when it comes to insurance.

My car insurance when I lived in Carrickfergus was higher than if I lived in Central London.  I know this because being a soldier, we could claim the difference back from the army.

I can't exactly remember, but my public liability insurance is under £80 for one-million.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 07:48:53 pm »
Why is PL so expenxive over there? (At least what is the given reason by insurers?) Mine is also about £80 for a million pounds.
It's a game of three halves!

Dave Connolly

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 09:16:36 pm »
Hi guys,
            Thanks for all ur replys...most apprecitated.
Ian,would like to know what setup your using as regards to WFP,car or van etc.

Also,whats the pricing of houses like up there in Dungannon,thats been my biggest headache so far.....trying to charge a decent/fair price and still make a good hourly rate theres so many cowboys charging peanuts for cleaning here in Derry.Has WFP improved your hourly rate etc?

Art,would love to come up to Omagh and see one of your Domestic/car based systems in action as I still can't quite get my head around how it all works.
  My father has been a fulltime window cleaner for 25 years and he nearly wet himself when I told him about WFP,he just can't imagine how it'll clean a window like a squeegee.....ah,bless him.

But, I still think its the way to go,haven't seen any domestic window cleaners in Derry using one yet.

Dave Connolly

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 10:49:03 pm »
Ian,what kind of pricing are you charging for doing the cons roofs,soffits etc.?

ian m

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 09:47:30 am »
Hi Dave

At the moment my wfp system is very simple, all I use is a di bottle connected to a customers outside tap.I have this little setup on a fold away sack trolley I got from homebase for £25. I didnt have any room for anything else seeing we were using the family car (a clio)

Most of my work is larger private housing. If anyone calls looking for a quote its standard operating procedure to enquire if they have a tap. Everyone does these days.

Have just changed to a renault kangoo so am in the market for a 125 litre flat tank.  ;D ;D hopefully this will allow me a bit more flexibility.

Pricing can be hard to get right. I generally go for £0.75 per upper window, but it depends on size, sometimes I quote a bit more. I have made a few mistakes in this area, on a few occasions if you underprice a job why not tell the customer you made an error? Think of it this way. If you don't say anything to them you will end up resenting doing the job, and as soon as something better comes along you will end up dumping them.
 Dont be afraid to be more expensive than the opposition. What people want is a good job done by someone they feel comfortable with coming on to their property.And someone who will return on a regular basis.
One of our Unique selling points is that I work with the missus, this really has been very helpful in putting prospective customers at ease.

Wfp has increased my hourly rate by around by around £5+ per hour, but on some jobs it still makes sense to use my ladders.

As for conservatorys and soffits? I ( I do these on my own) try for an hourly rate of £25. Some jobs will take far longer than others due to the amont of grime on them. So I try not to quote a price beforehand, if pushed by the customer I give them a guestimate.
This works for me because I dont specifically offer this service, I only do these jobs when requested to.
 Any who have had their roof cleaned I recommend that they let me  clean it every 3-4 months.

Hope some of this helps.

ps I'm not in Dungannon ::)

Im In DUNDONALD!!!

cheers

Ian

ian m

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 09:56:14 am »
Why is PL so expenxive over there? (At least what is the given reason by insurers?) Mine is also about £80 for a million pounds.

30 years of bombing / shooting / rioting has produced waht can only be described as a "claim culture."  This has allowed insurance companies to charge what they like, the banks over here are as bad. They also charge rip off prices.

..............Come the revolution.........

Ian

williamx

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 01:14:10 pm »

ian m

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 01:27:17 pm »

surecleansystems

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 07:53:49 pm »
Hi Dave

Art here, you are welcome to come up and see domestic/car system anytime.  Just drop us an email with your number  to arrange a time and I will try to answer any questions you have.  You can also see it in action and see firsthand the results.  Then make your own mind........no pressure.

Glad to be of help

Art