Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

Can women do everything men can when w/c ?

No - the equipment is too heavy
12.8%
5 (12.8%)
No - it is'nt physically possible
7.7%
3 (7.7%)
Almost - wfp will change that
12.8%
5 (12.8%)
Yes - right equipment, right women
51.3%
20 (51.3%)
Definately - its not hard work at all
15.4%
6 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: October 14, 2005, 01:17:42 pm

AuRavelling79

Re: Women as w/c - your perceptions guys !
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2005, 07:54:41 pm »
I think it would be good to have more woman window cleaners but better in pairs as there is some weirdo's about.

Paul

True - especially on this forum!

It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2005, 08:18:48 pm »
From Sarah Sarill

My original post asked what equipment is suitable for a women.

Not wishing to be nit-picking, but the Topic is entitled:

"Women as w/c - your perception guys?"

you then proceeded to ask:

"Can women do everything men can as w/c?"

Objection overruled ;)

Pj

Remember chaps:
"When a woman has the last word, it's the end of the argument.
When a man has the last word, it's the start of a new one!" ;D

And just for the record:  There is no way I would let my wife go up a ladder, even though she would, gladly.

dai

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2005, 08:22:43 pm »
Sarah, Thinking about the matter further. It is about mental attitude as much as anything. Big ladders demand a lot of brute strengh and most ladies would not be able to manage them. When my eldest daughter was in college she used to work with me.
She was doing bottoms only but she out performed a few young guys I'v had working for me. She could work hard for 8 hrs and I mean hard. My take was up a good 50%. My daughter is 5ft 8" and well built
When you take someone on of either gender your take never seems to double. The best Lad I had only inreased the take by 65% if we were working together. The only way of improving on this was for him to do one side of the street and me the other.
My late wife also had the work ethos, 5ft 2" of bottle and grit. My present wife is tiny and does struggle doing W/C, Put a mattock in her hand instead of a wagtail and she really gets stuck in, dug up half the front lawn when I was working alone one day to plant chillies. A tall w/c has a big advantage because of his extra reach doing hand work, but WFP is a different ball game. I believe that any women with the right attitude and light weight pole could do the job as well as many a guy. I know my daughter could. Dai

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2005, 08:28:56 pm »
they come here causing trouble and where are they now ?

watching corrie and emmaenders .(no stereotyping again)

or are they upstairs knackered from a hard days work ?

or  they are cleaning the muck out of there nails

::)

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2005, 08:33:36 pm »
they come here causing trouble and where are they now ?

watching corrie and emmaenders .(no stereotyping again)

or are they upstairs knackered from a hard days work ?

or  they are cleaning the muck out of there nails

::)

Or washing my scrims and ironing my clothes for tomorrow, while I'm still slaving away here!! 8)

Pj

squeaky-clean 1

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2005, 09:20:47 pm »
hi lads and lasses

as the female partner to our buisness i try to do my bit, i work when needed sometimes only two or three days per week, sometimes five depends wots on i use 12 ft and 24ft pole i do clean domestic houses and yes the old dears do love me and   it can take me a bit longer as they all want to make me tea.
i also did a commercial job with hubby on friday.
I dont see a problem with ladies useing wfp but i do have trouble with trad way as i cant lift ladders safely on and off the van.

Belinda (the wife)
Belinda
the real boss.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2005, 09:27:07 pm »
Were being invaded  aarrrggghhhh

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2005, 10:01:00 pm »
Were being invaded  aarrrggghhhh

I doubt the Federation or PWCA could improve the image of window cleaners to the general public as much as women entering this traditionally male dominated occupation.

I'm all for it.  Technology has moved on.  Traditionally; prior to power steering; truck drivers used to be hefty blokes - they had to be to steer a massive wagon - it took some muscle.

Now women routinely drive trucks; probably better too.

I'm all for females entering traditionally male occupations.  As long as they can do the job; who gives a fat WRAC's pump!

I would honestly say, being a council-estate Geordie living in a fairly affluent area in South East Wales, my customers feel safer and happier with me having a female working partner with me.

She works hard, does a good job and makes my clients feel comfortable.

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2005, 10:15:07 pm »
Welcome Belinda,

Nice to hear a womens perspective.  I agree traditional is near impossible for most women but wfp is the way for me to move forward (maybe even giving up my p/t job) and working for the hubby. 

(Wills great David and sends his regards but can speak cos I've got him tied to the ball & chain in the corner blubbering on about some guttering job tomorrow !!!).

Belinda, If you do downstairs is the 2ft pole too big ?  I was thinking of getting a 6ft one that will give me about a 10ft ish rech - ample for bottoms ?

Tosh & Dai spot-on postings and thanks Matt - I will be getting one done in the next few weeks.

My posting has been answered so have we exhausted this one then or are you ready for more  ;D

Thanks all,  Sarah

Sarah

matt

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2005, 10:17:37 pm »
thanks Matt - I will be getting one done in the next few weeks.

your welcome

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2005, 10:24:44 pm »
My posting has been answered so have we exhausted this one then or are you ready for more

bring it on   ;D

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2005, 10:47:30 pm »
"In THESE SHOES?" ;D

squeaky-clean 1

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2005, 09:40:33 pm »
hi sarah

sorry been busy with eastenders . lol
 not realy collected new van today hubby still water proofing the floor.

the 24ft pole is a bit big for ground floor windows but needed for our three story houses i also have an unger pole which we have adapted to do most house with as its much lighter and reaches most upstairs windows, this way im not nakered by the fith or sixth house, i also tend to work with my son and  he does backs on most houses that way he reaches over conservatories me just being a woman and all that i can do it but if a mans about why should i. lol
 ;D ;D
Belinda
the real boss.

busydaffodil

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2005, 06:59:34 pm »
Busydaffodil  & Sarah

If people only want the replies they want to hear ,what is the point of asking the question. ;D

As being fikkel ,no --i just know women. ;)

My wife works with me and does a dam-n  good job

and works full time .she is 5`8" and about 9 1/2 stone and is stronger than the average woman and it is a struggle for her at times.

About the nail bit ,most of the women we know would not do this work not just  the physical part ,it is thinks like being seen in dirty  work clothes ,having wind blasted greasy hair .dirty nails and the image of being a window cleaner  .as you can see all women are not the same.that is what i was trying to put across in my first post.   ::)

Many a time my wife as picked up the kids from school with muddy trousers and a wet patch down her right leg and feels embarrased about that .and a lot of women would rather die than to be seen like that.  :-[

Remember why women have smaller feet ?

Anyway who let the women loose on here ?

1.   Giving ones opinion to a question is surely why we are all here(and to help others & learn things ourselves), but when an answer offends, I have every right to voice my opinions too.  Thats what a forum is for.  Rest assured, I WILL voice my opinion when I feel pigeon holed & insulted.

2.   Fickel....probably the wrong word.  I know a replacement!    As for knowing women....well,  you obviously know your wife.  But women definitely are not the same.  We each have our own opinion, strengths and weaknesses.  But to assume our only differences are based on how we all look in public, is very condescending.

3.   Most women, if necessary, would go out working in a stinking job.  If you have kids, mortgage, bills, etc, one might not have the luxury of choice.  Surely both sexes care about their appearance?   More and more men are using lotions & non invasive surgery to make their appearance better.   Gone are the days when men didnt care about how they looked: well most men anyway.  There are still some of the old school around!

Off to paint bedroom now.  I have people viewing our house tomorrow after work.

Liz

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2005, 07:52:42 pm »
Why do i bother     ???

AuRavelling79

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2005, 09:45:02 pm »

1.   Giving ones opinion to a question is surely why we are all here(and to help others & learn things ourselves), but when an answer offends, I have every right to voice my opinions too.  Thats what a forum is for.  Rest assured, I WILL voice my opinion when I feel pigeon holed & insulted.

Liz

While I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments bizzie-lizzie, the original thread from Sarah asked we *Guys* for our perceptions!
It's a game of three halves!

busydaffodil

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2005, 10:08:03 pm »

While I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments bizzie-lizzie, the original thread from Sarah asked we *Guys* for our perceptions!

Thanks for agreeing with my sentiments  :D

I didnt actually answer Sarahs Question directly (At least I dont think I did. ...its been a long night)!!!.  I entered this discussion after someones' statement raised my hackles.     Am I wrong to assume I can reply to postings even if they are directed to "Guys"??

Am off to bed now.......6am start tomorrow.  SO this "Gal" is saying night night.

Liz

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2005, 10:13:26 pm »
65 posts already just on this!!

It must be a woman's thread ;)

Duck

Pj

Sir Squeaky