Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

G Griffin

Re: my new lad- feel hes a loser
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2011, 01:13:13 pm »
There`a a lot of conjecture about this subject, when only Bobby P has met the lad.
Who knows the real reason for him being a waste of time?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

H S and Son

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2011, 02:53:54 pm »
gold do you employ???

if you think £7 per hour is a bad wage for a 19 year old

Ronnie, what is a bad wage for a 19 year old?

Taylor & Taylor WC Services

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2011, 02:55:24 pm »
I have a 20 yr old lad with a bit of a swagger but I do get a a lot of work done with him £100 a day more than the last guy I had who was 50..

I pay him £6.50 PER HOUR which he thinks is great after his last job POT WASHING  He loves the outdoors and I only have to shout at him now and then.

He was late once and he won't be again or I'll use my brodex as a lollipop stick ha! I'm firm with him if he's being a donut but most of the time he's spot on but I think I have made him realise where we stand from the off?

cozy

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2011, 03:52:45 pm »
I have a 20 yr old lad with a bit of a swagger but I do get a a lot of work done with him £100 a day more than the last guy I had who was 50..

I pay him £6.50 PER HOUR which he thinks is great after his last job POT WASHING  He loves the outdoors and I only have to shout at him now and then. He was late once and he won't be again or I'll use my brodex as a lollipop stick ha! I'm firm with him if he's being a donut but most of the time he's spot on but I think I have made him realise where we stand from the off?

;D ;D ;D Love the way you put that!!

cozy

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2011, 04:06:22 pm »
I had people working for me when I had the Army contracts in the 90's and did big jobs like hospitals and schools. Some were old sweats at the game but only wanted part time work. Paid them the average that good shiners get but no bonus. Had a few 18 year olds over the years too. Only one was a born shiner. He worked with me for about 2 weeks then I could leave him on his own on domestic work. 100%. Off he'd go down a street like a bloody wind up train.
He eventually got a place in colllage to train as a lab tech or something. Another guy I taught ws a Turkish guy. Another natural shiner. He's a foreman at a big industrial cleaning firm now and runs teams of shiners on big jobs. He could work alone to a very high standard after only about 6 months. I had him on all the big jobs and alone on doestics.
I always praised them when they were good, paid a few little bonuses when deserved, and praised them to my custies infront of them. I think that helps.
When I had to dicepline someone, I'd always do that in private, something I learned from the army and books I've read.

People crave recognition too, money isn't the only incentive. I always tried to make my workers feel appreciated.

Helen

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2011, 04:08:16 pm »
gold do you employ???

if you think £7 per hour is a bad wage for a 19 year old try asking the hundreds of thousands of 19 year old looking for work.

actually ask the millions lookng for work who are over 19 they would jump at the chance of £7 per hour.

sure someone would prefer to work for 15-20 per hour but i run a business to make a profit and dont do too bad at it, GOLD what would you say was a good wage for a 19 year old?

Sorry but what kind of incentive is £7 an hour?? His only incentive is that if he dosn't do enough work then he might get the sack!! So he is going to do just enough to keep his job at best! He won't even be that bothered if he does lose his job, so won't be that bothered about the quality of his work either!! Surely there has to be some kind of incentive? I am planning on taking someone on soon and I am planning on giving them a percentage of turnover rather than a flat rate, that way he will feel more a part of the business and have more pride in his work (hopefully) If he proves himself a good worker I plan to get him his own van and to increase his percentage after a year.

That's fine if you do it that way, but wait till you get to having pay his holiday money, you'll have to check out how it's done, but it used to be an average over a certain period of time and even if they had been off sick you had to equate that into the calculations. What % are you thinking of paying on a  A)totally new person to window cleaning or B) someone with experience. Once you have paid out for a new van and equipment and all related costs do you really think a % way is the best forward?

poleman

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2011, 04:36:08 pm »
I have a pee bottle in the van which gets used daily!

I have gone through about 8 staff in the past two years! which is a pain but I would like to earn good money!

Keep in mind its a employers market! as there is high unemployment!

I get all my employees from gumtree  :)

bobby p

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2011, 04:50:35 pm »
ive been mulling it over today ,this morning  he really annoyed me by wiping a filthy scrubber on the side of my van but couldnt remember doing it , so he said .    We also turned up at a grannies today who said thank god you are here,my husbands collapsed,can you lift him up- well i got him up and hes alrite but my lad kept  asking them such stupid questions such as whats that smell in here etc

until i find somebody potentially better,i have decided to keep him on a very tight leash . EVERY window he does has now  to be checked and double checked woe betide if i see a streak (i was catching a few for him)  , no more texting his mate when in my van, basically im going to push him harder and see what happens

good idea about the pee bottle-i will be getting him one sharpish

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2011, 04:56:52 pm »
Bobby,

Do yourself a favour and just get rid. I would have slapped or sacked (or both) him weeks ago!

G Griffin

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2011, 05:47:29 pm »
ive been mulling it over today ,this morning  he really annoyed me by wiping a filthy scrubber on the side of my van but couldnt remember doing it , so he said .    We also turned up at a grannies today who said thank god you are here,my husbands collapsed,can you lift him up- well i got him up and hes alrite but my lad kept  asking them such stupid questions such as whats that smell in here etc

until i find somebody potentially better,i have decided to keep him on a very tight leash . EVERY window he does has now  to be checked and double checked woe betide if i see a streak (i was catching a few for him)  , no more texting his mate when in my van, basically im going to push him harder and see what happens

good idea about the pee bottle-i will be getting him one sharpish

You shouldn`t have lifted the old chap up really. You could have done him more harm than good.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2011, 05:57:14 pm »
just slap him about a bit  ;D ;D ;D
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

JSMC

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2011, 06:06:51 pm »
up her ein scotland i reckon it be even harder a sbefor ethey go working you need a licence and insurance. This could cost guys a few quid to keep changing workers.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2011, 08:07:20 pm »
he might be diabetic
   hes also often asking to go for a number 2 !  (i absolutely forbid that on customers property)

-  whats weird is that less than 5 minutes after telling me hes gagging to go ,he then says " ummm,actually i dont want to go  now,false alarm "  just as im thinking wheres the nearest loo.   

writing this thread has made me realize that he is causing me grief and  i dont need it- will be looking for another lad and will sideline the one ive got

I think you need to take one on who wears a colostomy bag.

ronnie paton

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2011, 08:44:42 pm »
gold do you employ???

if you think £7 per hour is a bad wage for a 19 year old

Ronnie, what is a bad wage for a 19 year old?
matt its ment to say good ....well seen  ;D

ronnie paton

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2011, 08:50:28 pm »
gold do you employ???

if you think £7 per hour is a bad wage for a 19 year old try asking the hundreds of thousands of 19 year old looking for work.

actually ask the millions lookng for work who are over 19 they would jump at the chance of £7 per hour.

sure someone would prefer to work for 15-20 per hour but i run a business to make a profit and dont do too bad at it, GOLD what would you say was a good wage for a 19 year old?

Sorry but what kind of incentive is £7 an hour?? His only incentive is that if he dosn't do enough work then he might get the sack!! So he is going to do just enough to keep his job at best! He won't even be that bothered if he does lose his job, so won't be that bothered about the quality of his work either!! Surely there has to be some kind of incentive? I am planning on taking someone on soon and I am planning on giving them a percentage of turnover rather than a flat rate, that way he will feel more a part of the business and have more pride in his work (hopefully) If he proves himself a good worker I plan to get him his own van and to increase his percentage after a year.

ground hog do you employ??

do you know the cost in employing???

i actually dont pay my staff £7 per hour i apy them a percentage but trust me when i say its doesnt matter they will still try and cut corners and take the p.

i could go on about the cost of running a BUSINESS not a round but i know from first hand experience i pay my staff well that get good yearly bonus team building trips  and meals but it still is never and i mean never easy

bobby p

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2011, 09:11:30 pm »
Ronnie p - you being experienced and all that, what stuff do you put up with? or is it zero tolerance for you?      im small fry  ,just me +the lad but im thinking if i was bigger,with a huge round needing doing, you surely cant sack somebody so easily as who will do the work the next day

awcs

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2011, 09:16:32 pm »
always got an empty bottle in the van. you never know when the pee fairy will strike !!!

bobby p

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2011, 09:19:40 pm »
always got an empty bottle in the van. you never know when the pee fairy will strike !!!
1 litre bottle? but i dont want my van reeking of his spilt pee. howabout a bucket ,with a lid, or small pedal bin ??

Dave66

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2011, 09:29:43 pm »
if you need a no.2 you have no choice but to go behind a shed or such  :D
plenty of cream...plenty of sugar!

paul saunders

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2011, 09:32:37 pm »
I have a pee bottle in the van which gets used daily!

I use a bucket, as you get older you can't aim as well, and the hole in the top of a bottle aint a very big target to hit.  ;D
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.