This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Tom White

I've been asked to increase my 2 million public liability insurance to 5 million by a commercial job I do; now when I last looked at getting 5 million (some years back for a Hilton Hotel), the cheapest I could find was about £400, so I expected it to be a lot higher now; I guessed about £600 or £700 quid.  I spoke to the manager and got him to agree that his company would pay the difference in cost between my normal 2 million and their requirement for 5 million and they agreed.  (The job wouldn't have been worth doing otherwise; it's worth about £1500 per year, and if I was to pay £600 for the insurance for this one job; they could 'ram it'!).

So, I've just been onto simply business and you can get 5 Million for only £90 a year!!

Obviously the policy will be rubbish; I don't care to be honest; it's just red tape as far as I'm concerned; but Simply Business is a good site if anyone's after renewing their insurance.

It surprises me to think that 5 million quids worth of PL was £400 about 9 years ago, and now for a similar rubbish policy, it costs £90 today!!!  I don't think it was anything to do with WFP, since the site didn't even ask for my working methods.

jasonl

Can you imagine  causing an incident in the course of cleaning windows at this place , and the incident cost 4,999,999 to put right ?  meaning it did not cost you any more than your initial premium , I think that would be an awesome achievement.

Probably throwing a  lit fAg end into the boiler room would be the easiest way, or somehow driving into the building .
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

DaveG

I think the excess on their policy is 4.5 m   ;D
You can't polish a turd

TomCrowther

Hi Tosh, does that cover you for the building/glass you are working on? If it does, that's brilliant value.

Danny Guest

Im insured by zenith brokered by simply business and im paying £320 a year for 5million public liability insurnace and 10million employers liability - I dont know how that compares to some but i thought it was cheap

Danny
Guest Cleaning Services

Matt Gibson

Im covered through simply business for Pressure washing. £5 mill an £5000 equipment cover. its just over £200 a year. I thought it was a bargain and was told by a few other companies that they wont cover pressure washing as in recent years there have been too many claims...thanks cowboys..YEE HAA ;D

Wc Solutions

it must be so basic it prob only covers third party type idea ....

Helen

Hi Tosh, does that cover you for the building/glass you are working on? If it does, that's brilliant value.
ours does through simply business, but was not included automatically and we had to ask for it as an add on....so check out if you do have this or not just in case.

idealrob

We got £10 million public liabilty insurance for £50 a year.

idealrob

Mark Farrimond

I just thought I should put the record straight here.

For those of you who are insured with Simply Business who undertake Window Cleaning you are NOT covered for damaging the glass or whatever being worked on.  They have the following exclusion in their policy.

LI3.11 Exclusions
The following Exclusion will apply to the Public and Products Liability Cover provided under this Section of the Certificate only in addition to those Exclusions in Part 4 Certificate Exclusions

LI3.16 Property in Your Charge or Under Your Control
Damage to Property which
(a) You own or is loaned leased hired or rented to You
(b) is held in trust by You or in Your custody or control

Furthermore I have just spoken to Simply Business as a window cleaner and been told that this exclusion applies and therefore no cover is provided.

Their advisor then tried to convince me that if I added Domestic Cleaning as a secondary trade that I would get this cover, even though it is excluded by the policy.  All I would get it for is any internal Domestic Cleaning, not window cleaning.

Don't forget Simply Business don't pay the claims and it is there in black and white that the cover is excluded so whichever insurer is behind the policy you buy, they will just throw out a claim.   

Please, please don't just take their word for it over the phone. It's what you receive in writing that counts and on the documents we received it is excluded.

We may be more expensive but we are giving the cover that you need and we put it in writing in our quotes and in the policy itself.

Ian W

My wife has just told me that the school she works at would like me to quote on their 6 monthly cleans and they require £5million cover. I will look at simply business if I get the work.

At the moment I pay extra for the additional cover, but I am not sure it is value for money. I know they wouldn't cover me if I broke a window I was working on, but if I was to drop a ladder on a car, or a shed, would I be covered by simply business?

Apart from broken glass, what damage am I likely to inflict on a property that would require a big insurance claim?
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

Tom White

Apart from broken glass, what damage am I likely to inflict on a property that would require a big insurance claim?

I reckon it's more a case of damaging someone than a property, to be honest.  A few years ago an ex mod (Philip Hanson) wrote about some scaffolders who dropped a piece of equipment from height and it landed on a pram, brain damaging a baby.

The Scoffolders weren't covered by insurance, so not only was the baby brain damaged, but there wasn't the money which would've helped cover the future care the child may have required for a better quality of life.

Personally, if I damage a vehicle or a building, I'll sort it out myself; though I never have.  The worst thing I've done is break garden ornaments and plant pots.

dave0123

Tosh - if they are paying the extra you may as well go with Marks company as you will get a much better policy for basicly the company you are cleaning windows for paying  ;D
Dave.

Ian W

I reckon it's more a case of damaging someone than a property, to be honest

That's what I'm thinking Tosh. I don't want to hurt anyone and not be covered, but property is different.

But what if I dropped a ladder on a car in their drive and it was written off? Would the insurance cover it? I think it would, but I am not 100% sure.
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

R W C™

I just thought I should put the record straight here.

For those of you who are insured with Simply Business who undertake Window Cleaning you are NOT covered for damaging the glass or whatever being worked on.  They have the following exclusion in their policy.

LI3.11 Exclusions
The following Exclusion will apply to the Public and Products Liability Cover provided under this Section of the Certificate only in addition to those Exclusions in Part 4 Certificate Exclusions

LI3.16 Property in Your Charge or Under Your Control
Damage to Property which
(a) You own or is loaned leased hired or rented to You
(b) is held in trust by You or in Your custody or control

Furthermore I have just spoken to Simply Business as a window cleaner and been told that this exclusion applies and therefore no cover is provided.

Their advisor then tried to convince me that if I added Domestic Cleaning as a secondary trade that I would get this cover, even though it is excluded by the policy.  All I would get it for is any internal Domestic Cleaning, not window cleaning.

Don't forget Simply Business don't pay the claims and it is there in black and white that the cover is excluded so whichever insurer is behind the policy you buy, they will just throw out a claim.   

Please, please don't just take their word for it over the phone. It's what you receive in writing that counts and on the documents we received it is excluded.

We may be more expensive but we are giving the cover that you need and we put it in writing in our quotes and in the policy itself.

Whats the average price a year for £5 million

L.J.Thorpe

public liability to 5 million can be had for between 50 to 100 a year
but dont bother
for a poxy 300 quid upwards get a proper insurance policy which covers public liability and damage to property worked on 250 quid excess is the norm but do some real damage and thats a bargain

Sapphire Window Cleaning

We got £10 million public liabilty insurance for £50 a year.

idealrob

Just check what that ACTUALLY covers!!

that policy I would of thought wouldn't be worth the paper its printed on.
I have my insurance with Gleam Insurance, they cover EVERYTHING that is asked from a window cleaner and they cover the item you ARE working on.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

George Gardner

£90 for me too - with Simply Business.  ;D

Tom White

Tosh - if they are paying the extra you may as well go with Marks company as you will get a much better policy for basicly the company you are cleaning windows for paying  ;D

Too late, but with hindsight, this would've been the best thing to do! 

Why didn't you post this information before I posted this post up in the first place?  Is yer crystal ball not working or something?  >:(

Anyway, it's too late as my annual paperwork has been submitted, but I'll keep that in mind for next year; thanks.

Mike #1

alexander swan insurance also cover damage to glass i pay about £200 for 5 million public liabilty with cover for £2,000 tools cover as well as damage to glass