Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Simpson

Would you charge? If so how much?
« on: February 14, 2011, 03:53:35 pm »
Had nothing to do this afternoon so was planning on going out but about midday a letting agent calls that have never used me before and says they've got a tenant with the keys and a van full of furniture just turned up to their new property and it stinks of urine, they think a cat has got in while its empty (catflap) and used it as a litter tray. Could I go down there straight away and clean it for them so I said yes.

Get there and the tenant says I want the carpets replaced as I wouldn't be able to get rid of the urine smell completely, I said I can clean & sanitise it but couldn't gaurantee the smell would be removed especially as I couldn't lift the edges to look under it.
10 minutes later the letting agent turns up and she tells him the same thing, he asks me to price it up anyway and phone it through to him while he had to go to the office and try and get the owner to agree to replace the carpets.

I'm sure there will be differing views but part of me is saying I would have gone out and priced up FOC anyway and the other half is saying I dropped everything to go for a letting agent that will probably never use me again and only did so because their usual one couldn't do it at such short notice  ???

derek west

Re: Would you charge? If so how much?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 04:13:06 pm »
send them the bill for the quote, lets say £20, but put in the quote that this will be waivered if they use you for a clean within 30 days.

not sure what i'd do, probably not charge, but thats just a thinker for ya as i don't know how you work.

ryan mca

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 04:54:48 pm »
Paul
If you decide to charge call it a call out fee but wavee fee if they give you work

Paul Simpson

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 06:56:31 pm »
Thanks, like the idea of waivering any charge if they use me again.
Rang through with the quote and he was on the phone, said they would leave a message for him to ring back, but he didn't suprise suprise.
If he doesn't even return my call think I'll charge a callout fee.

Paul

JandS

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 07:15:39 pm »
Bet you don't get one.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

clinton

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 07:42:20 pm »
Prob just a lesson learnt paul and least you know for next time mate.

Could try the sending a bill mind still..

Mike Halliday

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 07:53:16 pm »
who would you send the bill to, the estate agent or the owner? because i can see them passing the buck to each other. the agent booked you but its the owner fault you couldn't do the job

just right it off.
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

markpowell

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 08:20:58 pm »
Write it off not worth the hassle
Mark

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 08:42:29 pm »
I'd write direct to the agent saying it's unfortunate you could not help this time, as it was an emergency you would normally charge a callout fee which you happily waive. Point out you you would be happy to quote in the future (blah blah blah) Stick in some info, web address and few cards.

Just because you feel you have lost out you can turn it into a win. Worth a punt.

Paul Simpson

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 09:36:35 pm »
I'd write direct to the agent saying it's unfortunate you could not help this time, as it was an emergency you would normally charge a callout fee which you happily waive. Point out you you would be happy to quote in the future (blah blah blah) Stick in some info, web address and few cards.

Just because you feel you have lost out you can turn it into a win. Worth a punt.

Like it  ;D
Think I'll give it a go.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 09:45:49 pm »
What Simon said.

Its not too bad though, its not like you got all your gear out the van, hiked it up a fleight of stiar, set up and then told not to go ahead. Been there did that  >:(

Hilton

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 08:48:11 am »
If I was the new Tennant  and this happened to me I would want the carpets replaced not cleaned.

Cat urine (especially the odour) is notoriously difficult to rid from soft furnishings and the work involved and cost would probably be prohibitive to the agent, the landlord who after all has instructed this agent to take care of his property will be on their backs to get it sorted and replace the carpets not clean as they will (as I would) hold them responsible.

Dont get in the middle you wont get paid because the outcome will not be acceptable to either the landlord or Tennant.