This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ben's Gutters - all what it seems?
« on: February 03, 2011, 02:38:30 pm »
Interesting little item for you to read.

poleman

Re: Ben's Gutters - all what it seems?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 03:37:08 pm »
there grade one cow boys...hear loads about them...

R W C™

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 04:43:19 pm »
I think there advertising is very good, I like there leaflet, had a customer ask me too do gutters 2 weeks before christmas, didnt have time so said too try bens gutters but I didnt know if they where any good as never used them, when I went back in January customer said they did a really good job and recommends them, they deliver 100 of thousands of leaflets a month so there obviously going too have some unhappy people....

I like the bit from consumer direct not too trust anyone who leaflet drops.....yer right

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 05:23:58 pm »
To echo what rwc says.

What an obnoxious opinionated woman.She says she has passed this on to local trading standards who seems to think tell her that it 'may' be illegal as misleading advertising. From that hearsayed 'may' she builds an entire case of saying that they have had legal warning to desist and on no account deal with them or anyone else who delivers a leaflet.

If you do get one(a leafelet) contact consumer direct and this gross illegality will be pursued.Well actually by making this email public and asking people to pass it on i would suggest that it is she who is acting illegally, and is making assumptions and generalising, when in fact she is merely a very prejudiced and stupid woman who believes she can compose nasty emails about people and dress them up as being for the public good.

I've no idea about ben's gutters, but she is some nasty piece of work.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 05:28:37 pm »
In fact i've a good mind to let our legal tool gold, write her a cease and desist email or face the repercussions.

Sean Dyer

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 05:47:33 pm »
bens gutters i always thought were ok

they usually quote for work over email on site and use google earth id imagine to qoute it

i sent a "request" for the property i lived in last year, they said about £75 i think, but in reality id of gone for about £50 but they must lump areas together then hit them altogether as they did say in response to my inquiry theyd be about a month

but the woman there is definitely someone who needs to get a life

How many companies leaflet drop!! even the biggest names in the country leaflet drop!

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 05:50:24 pm »
Why don't we all email her with our thoughts? ;D

STEVE-UK

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 06:02:40 pm »
I heard they gone bust and owes money to someone that supplys them a service

rosskesava

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 06:05:56 pm »
I think it's some type of a windup. I've just read the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading 2008 regulations, and I can't see any infringement.

Last week I was cleaning the windows of a house for the first time and I saw the next door neighbour on her way out and I asked if she wanted hers done for the same price. So I'm breaking the law by asking? I don't think so.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/cpregs/oft1008.pdf
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 07:22:38 pm »
I hadn't thought of that rossekeva, it could be a wind up. But this does have a police email address, does name two trading standard authorities, and does use the govt consumer logo.If it is a wind up he/ she's playing with fire, if it isn't this nasty pernicious woman needs reining in.

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 07:31:04 pm »
there was a job with them on gumtree a little while back 10 jobs a day u needed your own ladders and car 100 a day ...

and must be able to work up to 3 floors on victorian properties.

fat chance for 10 quid a job

lol
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

DaveG

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 07:59:47 am »

Last week I was cleaning the windows of a house for the first time and I saw the next door neighbour on her way out and I asked if she wanted hers done for the same price. So I'm breaking the law by asking? I don't think so.

I hope you gave her a 7 day cooling off period ross (which is what youre meant to do apparently!)
You can't polish a turd

Paul Coleman

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 08:40:27 am »
In fact i've a good mind to let our legal tool gold, write her a cease and desist email or face the repercussions.

I intend to send her an email if this isn't a wind up -
not in the "cease and desist" tone though.

Some of her comments and assumptions are seriously flawed - though I would accept that obtaining work by lying about working for a neighbour could be a bit out of order.  This assumes that he is lying of course.  He may not be.  However, it would be perfectly acceptable to say that you have other customers in the area.
Remember that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.  A properly written, courteous email could perhaps help to show her that stereotyping people who do particular types of work and use leaflets is not really on.
Anyway, I'll probably do that at the weekend.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 08:41:45 am »

I hope you gave her a 7 day cooling off period ross (which is what youre meant to do apparently!)

Unless it's changed again, I think that only applies to jobs over £35 (and I think it's 14 days).

Paul Coleman

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 09:16:55 am »
Interesting little pdf for you to read.

Anyone come across them?

http://www.stiffordcf.org.uk/Core/Stiffordcf/UserFiles/Files/Bens%20guttering.pdf

On reflection, I won't be writing.
Firstly, the .pdf has a copyright warning at the bottom of the email.
Secondly, try typing in the link manually and you will realise that if such a document does exist, it is in a password protected area of the Stifford website.  More likely that the URL in the address bar has been forged.
Not saying that SSWC has done this but it's too risky on both counts.
1) Copyright infringement.
2) May cause problems for a whistleblower at Stifford if it does happen to be genuine.

alanwilson

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 10:55:28 pm »
yeah she is obviously judge, jury and executioner.

also, if leaflet drop businesses are not to be trusted then how does anyone get work?

silly cow knows nothing about business, probably sits in front of a pc all day emailing her friends and gossiping on facebook.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 07:16:18 am »
yeah she is obviously judge, jury and executioner.

also, if leaflet drop businesses are not to be trusted then how does anyone get work?

silly cow knows nothing about business, probably sits in front of a pc all day emailing her friends and gossiping on facebook.

Yes I did wonder about how businesses were supposed to get started too.  According to her you are supposed to start up with zero turnover while paying for big shiny ads.  If you have money behind you, you may be able to do that.  Otherwise it's a business bank loan.  The first scenario is possible I suppose but the second is very unlikely - even for established businesses.

formb

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 07:37:52 am »
I think Angie Pearson works for/is the old bill.

Is it me or do you think there is something missing from this picture? I don't  think we've got the whole story here.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 08:35:44 am »
I think that the leaflet "looks" like its handwritten line implies that it is mass printed in that style,.. not actually hand written.

If it is mass printed, then the claim that they've cleaned a neighbour is possibly false.

A minor re-word, and adding a landline number & address & the flyers would be very effective & the grumpy old hag would have nothing to complain about.

formb

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 08:43:19 am »
Thurrock Trading standards say the advert is breaching the Consumer Protection from Unfair
Trading 2008 regulations because it is misleading in its contents and appearance and may make a
person pay money to the company

This sounds to me like the flyer may be mistaken for a bill.