This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Taylor & Taylor WC Services

What do you pay your staff?
« on: January 21, 2011, 07:27:51 pm »
I have a guy full time and pay him £45 a day for 6 1/2 hrs a day which works out at £6.92 an hour. Is this fair? Sometimes he works alone.

Rogue Trader

Re: What do you pay your staff?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 07:43:04 pm »
As far as i am concerned No.

Though it all depends what his daily turnover is.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 07:44:54 pm »
Hi,

I've got a team of volunteers,

Although it doesn't suit everyone it works for me.

Cheers,

Dean.
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

Lee GLS

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 07:45:41 pm »
i dont employee anybody, but 8 years ago while i was starting up, i worked for a couple of different windies, and they both paid me £80 a day, that was 8.30-3.30/4.00ish.

I going by that it isnt fair, but as matt says, it depends on what his turnover is.

bobplum

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 07:56:50 pm »
I have a guy full time and pay him £45 a day for 6 1/2 hrs a day which works out at £6.92 an hour. Is this fair? Sometimes he works alone.

do you think it is fair for what he does and does he think it is fair for what he does?

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 08:02:33 pm »
His turnover in a day in approx £150

Dean Taberner

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 08:04:53 pm »
In the big picture 45 for 6ish hrs a day is 7quid+ an hour which is considerably more than the min wage so I'd say yes, its very fair.

Dean.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 08:05:50 pm »
In the big picture 45 for 6ish hrs a day is 7quid+ an hour which is considerably more than the min wage so I'd say yes, its very fair.

Dean.

Thank you Dean, that's how I was looking at it!

Dean Taberner

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 08:12:18 pm »
Whatever you turnover is your business,

You've had the bottle to take the gamble,

Turnover versus payment is irrelevant as there are many many costs that an employee with a stable job and 4-5wks holiday pay do not have to worry about.

Dean.

geefree

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 08:42:55 pm »
I think turnover versus payment is very relevant ,  profit is what makes the world go round,

if you turned over £150... and gave your employee £100.....

your going backwards

Dean Taberner

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 08:53:41 pm »
What I mean by irrelevant is irrelevant in the employers favour as in the employer decides what wages are paid based on what is best to take the business forward,

Dean.

geefree

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 09:11:23 pm »
if you had a turn over of £200 and paid an employee £100 (50%) would you say that was going backwards?

Thats up to you, if you are giving him 50% of the turnover , and you are covering costs out of your 50% , before you can think of a profit.... but i doubt at paying someone  £100 from a turnover of £150 will make any profit at all,

to me thats going backwards , employing someone only to take the strain of the employers workload.

when you can trim your round , get rid of low payers , try replace them with better calls, and work alone.

I dont employ , so my comments may be way out  ;)

Just my little mind finkin'  ;)

P @ F

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 09:17:17 pm »
In my eyes pay them as little as poss , the ones i took on were a waste of spunk , fine in my van with a 2 man set up , put them out in the baby van  and they all took the P, productivity was less costs was more , and service as in the quality went through the floor , they dont want to do our job no matter what you pay them , this country is full of lazy tw*ts who all want an easy ride , i dont have one so why the fook should they ?

Anybody wanna work for me , its a doddle , if your the right bloke , if i was any more laid back i'd fall over !

Rich  
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

formb

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 09:24:59 pm »
If you get the right guy, you want to keep, you have to pay them the right money.

geefree

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 09:30:59 pm »
Nice one  ;)

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 09:32:32 pm »
In my eyes pay them as little as poss , the ones i took on were a waste of spunk , fine in my van with a 2 man set up , put them out in the baby van  and they all took the P, productivity was less costs was more , and service as in the quality went through the floor , they dont want to do our job no matter what you pay them , this country is full of lazy tw*ts who all want an easy ride , i dont have one so why the fook should they ?

Anybody wanna work for me , its a doddle , if your the right bloke , if i was any more laid back i'd fall over !

Rich  

Great post!!

I have a guy now who's reliable, works hard and does a decent job but I have asked him to work alone until the middle of February whilst I build the business and his enthusiasm and standards have dropped a lot.

He is the third guy I have took on and they all start with enthusiasm and end up poope.......the first one I got rid of, the 2nd used it between jobs and now this one seems to be losing interest.....but this ones the one I want to keep!!

geefree

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 09:37:44 pm »

Rich  

do you know i agree with everything you say , young lads treat it as the worst job in the world, and to their cool mates . , they are the pits..... so given the stick they get from their peers , they will treat wimdow cleaning like one step up from being a dole dosser....

So whilst i agree that its hard to find people who respect it as a job ,..and most will be embarrased to tell their mates what they do....

i think a decent wage with bonuses and a good relationship  will  pay dividends.

formb

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 09:38:42 pm »
People want different  things from their job money is never everything, but I do think that paying someone as little as that who you trust to work alone is a bad idea.

You won't get too many that you trust on their own.

P @ F

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 09:46:08 pm »
Gazza , just read your post mate , fookin in a nutshell , couldnt be any more right mate, my advice would be to any of you out there , before you get the charlie big spuds head on , as i did , and failed .

Its all very well takin on and takin on work , but you get to the point when you need 2 vans to cover it , chances are you got loads of crap jobs on the books , dont bother with it , before you even think of van 2 step back and look at your round , when its full of top dollar work that you cant do on your own van 2 is an option , but me myself have learned the hard way , i just am upping all prices by £1 or £2 in the past week , the difference in income is mental , i finally feel that my round is gonna come good , its a beast of a round and i feel that employing for me is a no no , dont need the grief .
Commercial is rocky too at the mo , just lost in the region of 7-8K a year , nobodys fault , just the way it is , but if any thing its given me more drive to sort out my own affairs before running about for others .
Not a dig at me old chum ........you know who you are ! , i'm still here mate

Number 1 for a while now , take stock , and again ATTACK !

RICH

I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 09:46:58 pm »
People want different  things from their job money is never everything, but I do think that paying someone as little as that who you trust to work alone is a bad idea.

You won't get too many that you trust on their own.

I see your point.......he's 50 has 2 houses both paid and health problems prevent him working any stressful or long hour jobs. So in a way my job is perfect for him. I'm sure the moneys not the issue? I think he may struggle with the extra work.

Also asking him to work alone now is only going to benefit both of us in a  few months as I can then afford to give him a pay rise. As it's allowing me to canvass an extra £100 on average a day. So by the end February I'll be in a far better position.