Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Nobby

Colloidal Pre Spray
« on: December 07, 2010, 04:46:24 pm »
I used a  colloidal cleaner as a pre spray for HWE for the first time today, the carpet smelled of dog which became worse as I wetted it but when I finished,  the customer exclaimed how much better the carpet smelled than previous cleans and I'd only used a plain water rinse.  Is this to be expected?  I read somewhere that this type of pre spray needs to be applied more heavily than other types of chemical, is this correct?  When I had finished the carpet seemed wetter than it would with other pre sprays.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Nobby

Joe H

Re: Colloidal Pre Spray
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 05:06:52 pm »
Dog smell usually is associated with wet wool carpet, thats the nature of wool.
It will go within 24 hours.
Once you pre determine its a wool content carpet you are cleaning always advisable to let the client know what to expect. 
You have warned them and also lets them know you know what you are doing.
Doesnt matter you working with colloidal or other cleaning fluids - its the wetting of the carpet causing the smell.
Plain water rinse is all you need - the cleaning fluid has released the sticky dirt in the carpet and is just waiting to be rinsed out.
You need to apply enough of the cleaning fluid to allow penetration to all the fibres, agitation is very helpful, but dwell time of at least 15 minutes is essential. Much less and the fluid may not have had time to work completely and therefore correctly.
As to the carpet feeling wetter then other presprays, dont really have a problem myself - 3 vac machine helps.

Nobby

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 05:22:40 pm »

Sorry Joe, my qusetion wasn't all that clear. The carpet finished up smelling better with a colloidal pre spray and plain water rinse than it does normally using a micro splitter pre spray and a deodoriser/disinfectant rinse.  Is that what I should expect from a colloid?  Does it have this kind of effect on odours?

garry22

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 05:43:36 pm »
I'm still learning with colloids but they do seem to zap odours (smelling worse to start with).

Mike Halliday

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 05:56:09 pm »
'smells better' after using a colloid  i would'nt expect it to actually smell of anything.

I would guess this was a one off
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Nobby

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 06:12:18 pm »
That's exactly what happened, the carpet had no smell at all ie it smelled better than last time which apparently was a mix of deodoriser and dog smell!  I didn't expect colloids to have that effect, I'm impressed.

Joe H

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 07:02:46 pm »
What you experienced is correct.
More then a few clients have said afterwards "it smells lovely".
Knowing I have added nothing to the rinse I ask "what does it smell of?"
Their nose twitches and they they say "fresh"
and thats it - the smell of dirt has gone, and the carpets smell "fresh".

You stick with the colloidals

Nobby

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 07:28:07 pm »
Yes, my customer described it as an acidic fresh smell!

Thanks
Nobby

robert meldrum

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 08:40:40 pm »
A bit puzzling this. Can you give us a clue as to which product and at what strength it was applied. Also the type of carpet.

garyj

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 09:07:45 pm »
Strange, even Sarah said a couple of days ago that we're not getting the wet dog smell when doing wool carpets.

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 09:18:31 pm »
As I understand it there are 'wetting agents' in the solution, on advice I have added it to other pre-sprays to aid wetting out getting good penetration without over application. In theory you should need less than average detergents. I've had various results with colloids sometime fantastic sometimes poor and I am consistent with dilutions and temps, it's not even a synthetic/wool issue.

JD Calhoon

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 09:27:44 pm »
Strange, even Sarah said a couple of days ago that we're not getting the wet dog smell when doing wool carpets.

Hey Garyj,

We don't get that problem as our carpets are made from sheep wool. Only kiddin yah.  :) Our State produces the most wool in the whole country so we know a thing or two about sheep.

Been in the industry going on 30 years and we love Chemspec, can't never go wrong with them and we are very loyal to our local supplier. Never heard of no 'colloids' but if me and lizzie do decide to settle over the pond we may have to take a look I guess.
They intoxicate themselves with work so they won't see how they really are.  Aldous Huxley

Nobby

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 09:30:24 pm »
Robert, it was some M Power that I bought about four years ago when it was first on the market, I used it as a bonnet cleaner and for some reason put it in the shed and there it stayed until this morning.  Today I diluted it as per instructions at 120 :1 and applied it to an 80/20 tufted twist pile carpet, aggitated it well by hand brush and left it for 30 minutes and followed up with plain water rinse at about 70 degrees.

Nobby

How Colloidals work
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 04:38:20 pm »
For those wanting an explanation on how colloidals work here is a link
http://www.eco2000.com.au/Industrial/colloidal.shtml

Anyone care to list all the names of the solutions we generally use that fall into this bracket?

garyj

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 06:33:57 pm »
M Power and Fushion8 that I know of.

That's a good explanation cheers and confirms what I said about using more pre spray than usual and also using plenty of heat.

Joe H

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 07:08:38 pm »
Nemesis is a colloidal

Gary, stand corrected but I dont think Fusion8 is a colloidal

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 07:47:39 pm »
MPower is a microsplitter which is different to colloidals of which F8 is

John Kelly

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 08:05:10 pm »
Mpower is a colloidal. Microsplitters are salt solutions. F8 is I believe a Polymer based product.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 08:09:12 pm »
Tres bon Mister Kelly

Keep up everyone ;D

Shaun

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 08:20:47 pm »
MPower is a microsplitter which is different to colloidals of which F8 is
Mpower is a colloidal. Microsplitters are salt solutions. F8 is I believe a Polymer based product.

And this shows the complexity of understanding some of these '''New''' products because I'm sure Nick told me MPower which has been around for some time is a M/S, whilst F8 (newish) is a colloid but then I might have misheard or misread. On the other hand isn't there a fusion clean which is different to F8, which is what I might be thinking of because F8 has a dirt inhibitor within the product.
Flip, I'm confusing myself now :D
I'll just go and check the other channel to find out.