This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Wayne Fowler

Electric or Hybrid Van
« on: November 11, 2010, 07:35:17 pm »
Anyone got one? I'm lucky enough to have lots of jobs very close together and not far from home and thought some sort of electric van might be great for all these short hops. Cheaper to run, better for the environment... thought it might even be a selling point to some of my 'right on' customers  8)

Darranvps

Re: Electric or Hybrid Van
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 07:36:42 pm »
Get an old milkvan!

clearlyclean

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 07:39:53 pm »
you would have to live close to the round,mobility scooter would be cool nearly got run down by one last year

Wayne Fowler

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 07:42:52 pm »
@Darranvps If I didn't look so much like Benny Hill I might consider it  ;D
Now I think about it, I haven't seen the old electric style milk floats for years: are they still around?

@clearlyclean OMG!

Darranvps

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 07:54:52 pm »
Or a sinclair C5

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 08:19:03 pm »
Original milk float.... 30mph top speed, 30 mile driving distance, carry 2 tonne

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Leyland-Morris-Compton-Electric-milk-Float-/230549320082?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35adcf7192
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

Wayne Fowler

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 10:20:03 pm »
What a beauty! I'm tempted...

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 11:41:54 pm »
Anyone got one? I'm lucky enough to have lots of jobs very close together and not far from home and thought some sort of electric van might be great for all these short hops. Cheaper to run, better for the environment... thought it might even be a selling point to some of my 'right on' customers  8)
check this on ebay looks jus wot
yr looking for item num
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

Wayne Fowler

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 07:53:42 am »
Thanks for that. I had in mind something like a Rascal sized mini van and the Mega vehicles like the one on ebay look close to that. Although the one on ebay is deisel, they do electric ones too... more investigation required. It might be too short to carry my ladders safely?!?

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 11:44:02 am »
sure u could get a rack on it m8
looks cool as lol

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 06:47:04 pm »
its a mad lil van  ;D ;D

Spruce

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 10:31:47 pm »
Hi
IMO don't waste your money. Buy a conventional van. Ask Citroen about their Battery driven Berlingo's. Replacement batteries cost a fortune and their resale value is nothing. They don't even sell them anymore - a total disaster.
You still had a small fuel tank to supply the heater to keep the cab warm. If you forgot to put fuel in the tank it cost a fortune to bleed to fuel line to the fuel heater and clear the safety lock on Lexus - PSA's computer workshop system.
Look at the resale prices of a 3 year old Hybrid Honda car. Now compare it with diesel. We have a customer that manages 50mpg with his 1400 petrol Hybrid. The diesels do that anyway. The diesel and the hybrid cost about the same new, but resale value kills the deal for the Hybrid.
No matter how much Government support is for the electric car, it will die in a few years.
Spruce.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Wayne Fowler

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 09:05:11 am »
I think you're right. It would be a waste of money at this stage. However, I don't agree that the electric car will die though. As fuel prices continue to rise, battery technology will continue to improve and get cheaper. I think the majority of new cars will be hybrid in the not too distant future, followed by full electric once the technology catches up... but I've been wrong before!

Soupy

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2024, 12:25:29 pm »
Hi
IMO don't waste your money. Buy a conventional van. Ask Citroen about their Battery driven Berlingo's. Replacement batteries cost a fortune and their resale value is nothing. They don't even sell them anymore - a total disaster.
You still had a small fuel tank to supply the heater to keep the cab warm. If you forgot to put fuel in the tank it cost a fortune to bleed to fuel line to the fuel heater and clear the safety lock on Lexus - PSA's computer workshop system.
Look at the resale prices of a 3 year old Hybrid Honda car. Now compare it with diesel. We have a customer that manages 50mpg with his 1400 petrol Hybrid. The diesels do that anyway. The diesel and the hybrid cost about the same new, but resale value kills the deal for the Hybrid.
No matter how much Government support is for the electric car, it will die in a few years.
Spruce.

Some things never change  ;D

Spruce

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2024, 08:20:37 am »
Hi
Spruce.

Some things never change  ;D

;D ;D ;D
I love it.

It's amazing how things change with time. 

Those first battery driven Berlingos were a total waste of money and very quickly disappeared from the market. They used lead acid batteries and had a 1 gallon diesel tank and a Webasto thermo top for heating.  Nobody filled the diesel tank so none of the vans had a working heater and windscreen demister.

Citroen came out with the idea that you bought the van but rented the batteries. That concept just didn't go down well with customers.

I'm not even sure lithium was around then.

Back  then we only had the old milk carts to compare with.  They were alright when then carts were new, but the packs of batteries soon became a charging nightmare back at the depot.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)