This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Matthew JN

Acceptable time to post a cheque
« on: October 21, 2010, 07:35:54 pm »
What does anyone else think is an acceptable payment time for a customer to post a cheque ?

I think 14 days which i have been trying to work to for the last 3 years. I very rarely collect unless it is seriously late.

But lately it seems i always have a percentage that are paying late - sign of the economic times maybe ??

Seriously thinking about collecting all within 3 days of each clean - or is this a bad decision ?

Ian101

Re: Acceptable time to post a cheque
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 07:39:41 pm »
Funny you should post this as I getting a few slow payers as well ... thinking of adding the following line to my we called today slip "Please pay within 5 days" or summitt along those lines.

Sean Dyer

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 07:39:51 pm »
no its not a bad decision collecting is very good for cashflow but is time consuming, and could be a backward step for your business in that way

i have a large chunk sending cheques usually some very quick others then filter through over next fortnight or so

others at minute i collect on day straight after work at tea time ish , trouble is if you go home early or something, but im gonna start leaving saes if theyre not in on the day or i go home

rg1

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 07:40:02 pm »
I just send them a text saying 'payment is still outstanding' They usually pay within a few days.
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

Ian101

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 07:43:06 pm »
yup definately dont go back to collecting as too time consuming as Im still having to do it on 1 of my rounds ... not too bad if you dont have many customers but would be a nightmare for the bigger rounds

prestige cleaners

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 07:48:22 pm »
i put 3 days to pay on my slips, but its just ignored, usually the same ones every time.

Matthew JN

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 08:09:38 pm »
I have on my slips:

Terms - Please pay within 14 days - Thank You. And i leave a labelled envelope with slip stapled to it.

But there are always some that don't and at the worst point i have approx £300 outstanding, with lame excuses like - oh i lost the slip etc.

I think RGs idea is good - a reminder text message at the 14 day point. I just wish i had a super software program that could see when a payment had become late and automaticaly send the text message to the customwer from its database.

Mine is all on a spreadsheet and i just count back to the date of the clean to see if it is late.

p1w1

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 08:19:25 pm »
I have on my slips:

Terms - Please pay within 14 days - Thank You. And i leave a labelled envelope with slip stapled to it.

But there are always some that don't and at the worst point i have approx £300 outstanding, with lame excuses like - oh i lost the slip etc.

I think RGs idea is good - a reminder text message at the 14 day point. I just wish i had a super software program that could see when a payment had become late and automaticaly send the text message to the customwer from its database.

Mine is all on a spreadsheet and i just count back to the date of the clean to see if it is late.

Window cleaner pro will do that for you

scud

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 09:45:09 pm »
  I also find the same few are slow to send cheques.

I have payment required within 7 days in big red lettering on my slips - makes no bloody difference.

Have found offering bank transfer payment has helped, although I am usually running at upwards of 1K owing.

Matthew JN

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 09:57:57 pm »
£1k owing - yikes that's a lot. That would really hit my cashflow.

So  Window cleaner pro chases late payers for you - have been considering it over the past couple of months but didn't think it  could do that.

What i really is a T2 cyborg that i can just program with all the late payers and send it on a mission to get the money lol

scud

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 10:04:28 pm »
 It is continually around the 1k mark, it keeps money coming in all the time, once you are at that point it doesn't harm the cash flow as it is budgetted for.

Probably is a large debt list for a one man band.

Your Choice w/c

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 10:35:54 pm »
I notice no one charges interest for late payment.Is this a no go area due to potentially losing customers?I basically get rid of the late payers if they become an hassel once ive received the money of course.

geefree

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 10:43:56 pm »
 Your windows have been cleaned today,

If you wish to pay via Internet banking

Please use my details below.

Sort code      ..................
Account No. ....................

Please use your house number & post code
As your reference ( NOT YOUR NAME)

Or make cheque payable to .................
With your address on reverse.

Thank you.

phone numbers

PLEASE COULD YOU PAY THIS WITHIN 3 DAYS.

this is the slip i use .... and most post within the 3 days,

i dont think 14 days is acceptable when you can train them up to pay earlier.

ps. i dont collect at all. ;)

p1w1

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 10:44:18 pm »

So  Window cleaner pro chases late payers for you - have been considering it over the past couple of months but didn't think it  could do that.

What i really is a T2 cyborg that i can just program with all the late payers and send it on a mission to get the money lol

sorry ment it tells you when it is overdue

Sean Dyer

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 10:59:31 pm »

i always have a grand + or there abouts, but its my fault , i am tooeasy on them but im sick of it now, its time i got paid for my work on time like everyone else, it shouldnt be a part of the job, so i will be much tougher and set out the terms and stick to it, anyone who doesnt will be binned, i reckon 99% will be ok though, i have a good rapport with all my custys and they will respect the changes im sure, by end of 2011 i wont be collecting and will be getting paid instant if not before via standing orders

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 11:17:16 pm »
get out there and collect guys if your round is very compact!most of my round is in one area.its took years mind to hone most of the work into a 8 mile radius but my cashflow is good apart from august and jan when it slows up a bit due to xmas and summer hols.

average time spent collecting is 90 mins once a week.keeps good custy relations and gets me work plus better cashflow!

of course i leave sae for stand alones and im starting to get a few bank transfers now which is good.

some of you guys are just lazy arses! ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

geefree

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 11:28:00 pm »
I dont think its laziness Daz,

Collecting is a job on its own for a lot of guys , and most hate it after a full weeks slog.

No, i think it makes sense in this day and age to use every available method to get your money in,

I collected for 2 months only, and i thought i aint doing this ever again.

trained them all up to send cheques , internet banking, leave somewhere, or pay at the time of clean.

To me , that gives the customer plenty of options to pay.

I made it clear the only thing i do NOT do, ... is collect .

And now i dont collect on anyone at all.

Its not laziness , its making your working life as easy as possible, and running your business to suit you..... not your customers,

whom actually owe you the money, after you have provided them with a service. ;)

Ian101

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 11:35:54 pm »
work smart not hard

prestige cleaners

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 11:38:33 pm »
i havent collected in about 3 yrs, if it comes to me having to go around and get the money off them, then that will be the last time i see them, thank you very much! they get around 3 calls/texts, then a call round, then dump!

lifes too short to go collecting, you clean their house for 20mins then collect off them another 20mins? time = money.

i doubt collecting keeps custies happy and loyal, just rock bottom prices daz as you have admitted b4?

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 11:54:59 pm »
my prices are not the best but new work is better plus its very compact.the chances are mate itll be you losing a lot of work in future IF you charging too much!! ;) ;D ;D

i tend to go collecting on a monday or tuesday evening not at the end of the week.

im doing very well in fact better than ever!but still room for improvement of course!

very tough economic times and there going to get worse.if your charging top dollar you will lose custies and get undercut!lots of newbies about and their not packing it in winter anymore!!

dazmond
price higher/work harder!