Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Phil Thomas

Start Up
« on: October 18, 2010, 08:51:29 pm »
Hi There

This is my fisrts post so please bear with me.

I am in the process of putting together my business plan as I really want to leave my extremely stressful job and start up my own company cleaning carpets in south Wales.

My question is this "Is there much work out there for a new start-up"?  I know this may sound like a dumb question but since the recession I know that nothing is guaranteed.  Also I am working on my financial forecasts which as you all know until you are actually doing the job it is all really speculation.

I am extremely willing to put in the effort my end but if it is a dying market I would rather know now.

I guess I am just looking for a bit of advice from you guys who are actually out there doing this kind of work allready.

Anyway any advice would be massively appreciated.

Cheers

Phil

Simon@arenaclean

Re: Start Up
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 12:03:24 am »
Well if I lived in South Wales i'd say it was crap and don't bother starting ;D There are a lot of threads on here about starting up do a search. If your job is well paid (but stressful) why do you want to start carpet cleaning? What backround do you have and could you apply that to starting your own business? In some respects carpet cleaning can be seen as money for old rope because it can be deemed as being easy, and it is to an extent, but you will need some training to avoid the risk areas, descent equipment and a good marketing budget. The job is relatively easy, getting customers, recommendations and a descent living is not. Be prepared to back yourself financially for 2 years to account for the lean times and if needed be prepared to take on a paid part time job. Some start whilst still keeping the day job as a safety net and cleaning evenings and weekends as a trial to gauge the market and it's potential. Your first step may be market research, basically knocking on doors and asking the question about professional carpet cleaning, are they interested and what would they be prepared to pay. Do a sample of several different streets and demographics. Now may not be the best time to make the leap, and the market research will help with making your mind up.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 02:46:25 pm »
I agree with Simon

We are both in Norfolk so can be honest with someone in South Wales

A clue might be look at machines for sale an hours worked  on the clock divide by age.

The secret is marketing but to do it well it costs

It does not always work, do you know what does work?

petemosby

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 03:14:44 pm »
Hi, It's my first post here too. Wish you all the best in the carpet cleaning business. I'm new in it too but it's my side job and I'm still not doing my best to keep it up.

creighton foyle

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 08:51:09 pm »
simon i live in south wales and i resemble that remark :o . on a more serious note he's from cardiff so has as good a chance of making it as anyone else, there are enough potential customers there its all down to how much effort he can put in to the marketing i suppose.

Jamie Lindsay

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 11:36:27 pm »
Take on advice from these guys they know there stuff... its your life dont stick to a job that is stressing you and your not happy... if you want it enough you will get it.. good luck in what path you choose sir

stephen evans

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 07:12:31 am »
hi i live in south wales also was made redundant so have set up carpet and upholstery cleaning biz did many hours of research on machines , chemicals ,insurance and many more things needed to start . my advise shop around once you made  a list of what you want saved myself a forutune by buying from different suppliers even if it means traveling a little way to pick stuff up . good luck

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 08:30:28 pm »
my advice is... don't be greedy. Go in slightly cheaper to start and build up a customer base and try to get them on atleast an yearly clean. Provide a quality service at an affordable price to you and your customers  Good Luck