Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

bobby p

LADDERMAT-heres a warning
« on: October 18, 2010, 02:47:43 pm »
i put my ladder up today on the surface in the photo (quarry tiles) using a laddermat as my safe surface . if you dont know ,laddermat  is 4 square pieces of spikey rubber matting

Anyway up i go on the ladder ,starts cleaning the upper window and WHOOSH  ladder slips out on me and down i go !

by sheer luck i landed not too badly and seem to have got away with a painful ankle and a bent rung on my ladder .  My ladder was placed properly and the gravel in the photo is only scattered  from after my fall

on LADDERMATS own video ,it shows it being set up on quarry tiles , BUT DONT DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!

prestige cleaners

Re: LADDERMAT-heres a warning
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 02:53:28 pm »
another reason to go wfp eh? arent you dead against it though? hope you mend soon anyway mate!

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 03:00:03 pm »
becareful, they will lock this thread as laddermat wont come on to defend themselves   ;D

Llaaww

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 03:01:52 pm »
Send a bill to laddermat a bill for a new ladder and ankle. You could suggest that your mat must have been faulty. At worst you could get a new laddermat
if it is dirty it is fair game

bobby p

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 03:11:29 pm »
another reason to go wfp eh? arent you dead against it though? hope you mend soon anyway mate!
I am only interested in trad working . but my fall was a real shocker as i suppose they always are . Although it was mid morning ,nobody saw me ,including the woman in the house .As i fell 1 foot probably went between the rungs and twisted as it hit the floor . luckily not a bad twist . i sat in my van afterwards for a while, but then did a few houses more,to regain confidence as much as anything
    i have just watched the laddermat video and he is testing the lack of slip on quarry tiles ,but not from any height up his ladder. so thats no test at all. i bet a MILLION DOLLARS nobody would do his test high up on the ladder on a similar surface.

tomy jackson

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 03:39:02 pm »
d0nt get that from WFP  8)

bad trippy

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 04:03:34 pm »
WFP  :D
www.clearviewbristol.co.uk
Add me on Facebook clear view window cleaning

clearlyclean

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 04:06:18 pm »
that takes wind right out of you when that happens,if i have to use a ladder i use my ladder stop,but ladders can still slip on plastic gutters,I get that ankle checked out though.Get a Long arm if you dont want to go WFP and you can trad windows on first floor and over porches from the ground.Wet wooden decking can get you as well.
Get well soon

bobby p

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 04:30:15 pm »
What was the ladder angle like?
Were you reaching over a small ledge?
the ladder angle was normal . it is a house just like in coronation st, not  really high (luckily for me )  and the window i was cleaning was  the window just above the front door .my ladder was resting on the window sill ,which was a stone sill.  i have gone over the accident in my mind as you do ,and i realize how damn lucky i was .  i have a grazed shin and this painful(but not sheer agony )ankle.

when i then went around the back of the house to finish off,do the back,the woman popped her head round the back door,asking after me and complimenting me on my work . "im fine thanks" i told her (bet my face  was white as a sheet)

poole bay

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 04:34:05 pm »
there in nothink on the market to stop ypu slipping not even with a 11 stone man on the ladder like i had still slipped ???

TomCrowther

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 04:35:50 pm »
Happened to me in the winter too, one minute the ladder was there, next it and me are on the deck. My leg went throught the rungs too and you were very lucky not to break it {leg that is}. I went out and got a laddermate and stand off for the odd jobs where wfp won't cut it. It's a real wake up call isn't it?

Bryan_Dolby

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 04:40:19 pm »
Have any of you seen the laddermate

Ladders will not fall if you have the laddermate on properly

Bryan
Bryan Dolby
( Member F.W.C.)
My opinons are my own and nothing to do with the federation of window cleaners

Richy L

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 05:04:27 pm »
Things like laddermat are not as good as they are made out to be, surely.

Two pieces of rubber matting will not be a solution to all problems. If anything I think they are dangerous as they give the user a false sense of safety, I'm sure it makes some people over confident.

david watts

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 05:23:36 pm »
i do wfp; but a lot of work is ladders and i have a rojack ladder stopper
seems a good piece of kit but wouldnt trust it on them tiles.
fell off on some painted slabs once bent the ladder again the door :o
life is like a box of chocolates you get the crap no one else wants

Dave Willis

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 05:53:26 pm »
I use Laddatec Limpets all the time. Even these allowed a ladder to slip backwards on me once on mossy cobbles.

I'm also surprised ladders don't come with some sort of spirit levelling device or gauge to set the ladder at the correct angle every time.

Ian W

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 05:57:43 pm »
I always thought laddermats were a levelling device rather than a non slip device.

Whatever, glad to hear you didn't get badly hurt. Hope the ankle feels better soon!  :)
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 06:08:04 pm »
there meant as a leveling device NOT as a anti slip mat!!

i wouldnt put ladders on them tiles or wet decking/gravel or any mossy slippy surface even with my rojak stopper!!

ive fell off twice and had a few times where the ladder has slipped an inch (heart in the mouth time!)glad im wfp now.

david how can you still do a lot of ladder work if you have wfp?(unless its insides).

bobby go wfp mate.your missing out big time pal and its a lot safer as well as faster.

best wishes

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 06:13:37 pm »
there meant as a leveling device NOT as a anti slip mat!!

i wouldnt put ladders on them tiles or wet decking/gravel or any mossy slippy surface even with my rojak stopper!!

ive fell off twice and had a few times where the ladder has slipped an inch (heart in the mouth time!)glad im wfp now.

david how can you still do a lot of ladder work if you have wfp?(unless its insides).

bobby go wfp mate.your missing out big time pal and its a lot safer as well as faster.

best wishes

dazmond

I had a point ladder on wet flagstones once.  With my friend a foot back from thew ladder (to stop it), I tested it.  The Rojak slipped.  Folded scrim didn't.  It looks very unprofessional but it worked.  We ended up doing the job taking turns to foot the ladder anyway.  Just wasn't worth the risk.

Dave Willis

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 06:19:56 pm »
Daz, I have some jobs with access problems where ladders have to be used or the job doesn't get done. I've got three where the only access to the back is over the garage roof - I can't dump them because they are friends of the family in some way. I also have to use ladders to get up to the gutters now and again.
It's very difficult to eliminate ladders completely - I use ladders when cleaning conservatory roofs too.