This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Timmy Boy

Scratched Glass advice
« on: September 21, 2010, 10:59:23 am »
Hi All
Bad Bad day on Friday. At 5pm one of my customers emailed me a letter saying that whilst completing the builders clean at their new youth centre I had scratched the glass (several panels). His letter says that I have 5 days to rectify the problem or he will and take it off my bill. The customer is a large building firm and this was the first job I have done for them but I will not be doing any more!! The windows were cleaned initially with a washpole and then recleaned traditionally. My guy has been cleaning windows for 10 years and washpoling for 5 and we have never had this happen. The problem was that the windows were installed some 6-7 months ago and were extremely dirty (no concrete just grime) so I think I am being made a scapegoat for replacing the glass. The site foreman (a**ehole) has said that he thinks the washpole did it as we only recleaned the front elevation but he has now found scratches at the back of the building. The scratches are here and there on some panels and then others like a dog has been scratching the glass but only tend to be on higher panes. I was just wondering if any of you guys have had a similar set of circumstances and what I need to do. I think the scratches were already on the glass as the site has been very badly managed and I have heard that the company have had £250,000.00 withheld by the council due to bad workmanship. Are they just trying it on and can they legally withold my money?

Your help would be appreciated as I am losing sleep on this one!!

Many thanks

Tim

tws

Re: Scratched Glass advice
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 12:28:23 pm »
hi tim sorry i cant help but i do feel for you, have you got liability insurance that covers the glass ? sounds for sure like you are being used as scape goat but i cant see how you can prove otherwise now, good luck mick

TomCrowther

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 12:43:04 pm »
If your a member of the FWC give them a call and seek legal advice asap. I have seen on previous posts that this happens and it looks like you are being used to me.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 01:12:50 pm »
Did you use any scrapers to remove anything at all? If so google Fabrication Debris.

I have some info and will mail it to you.

If not then you may have to prove you are not to blame. This may be difficult as mortor caught in the WFP brush or applicator can scratch.

I also have a scratch waiver form you can use for next time.

This is one reason I don't do builders cleans.

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 01:20:50 pm »
http://sunshine-cleaning.net/Documents/fabricatingdebris.pdf

http://sunshine-cleaning.net/Documents/CleanerToBuilder.pdf

http://sunshine-cleaning.net/Documents/BuilderToSupplier.pdf

You could alter the wording to include building debris on the glass and the fact that it is impossible to tell before cleaning wether if there are scratches or not.

If builders were bright enough they would cover with a film so that building debris would not be a problem.

Timmy Boy

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 09:55:47 pm »
Thanks for all the responses guys
Am I right in thinking that they need to prove that it was not me as apposed to me proving that it wasn't? Has anyone succesfully rebutted such a claim or is it a pass to insurers job every time.
Thanks in advance
Tim

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 10:43:43 pm »
Most insurers won't touch it. They have a clause which says you are not insured for the property being worked upon for this very reason. Check your PL Insurance policy.

pure tech

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 12:49:57 am »
If you are confident  in your cleaning method and that you are not responsible for the scratches then explain this.  Most scratches on new glass occur before the w/c is involved but as the w/c was the last person to work on it he gets blamed.

mistersqueegee

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 01:11:59 am »
If it is fabrication debris then the glass is defective and should be replaced by the glazing company or the builder. If they hold your money I'd take them to court and let them know you intend to do that very thing after you give them the info Stuart offered you. From here on out do no job at all w/out a signed waiver covering this type of defect.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 08:26:19 am »
Was a scraper used at any point? Was a scraper used on the end of a pole?

restore it uk

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 11:38:52 am »
Hi tim where about are you. Give us a call I may be able to help as scratch removal is one of our services. my no is 07939161200 any time

cheers craig

Londoner

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 01:45:51 pm »
3 rules for a happy life as a window cleaner

1) Do not do builders cleans

2) Do not do bulders cleans

3) Do not do builders cleans

You will always get the blame for everything.

Llaaww

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 02:41:16 pm »
3 rules for a happy life as a window cleaner

1) Do not do builders cleans

2) Do not do bulders cleans

3) Do not do builders cleans

You will always get the blame for everything.

I couldn't agree more. If ever you go near them make very very sure that you will not be held responsible in any way shape or form for damaged glass.
Without fail every single builders clean that I have done has had at least a couple of scratched windows. The site agent will always turn to the window cleaner first.
The last one I did was 20 bespoke houses put up by an extremely reputable builder. Sure enough there were over 30 badly scratched windows. Lucky for me not only did i have a disclaimer, but I made him shake hands and look me in the eye when I told him I wouldn't be held responsible. Had I not done this I may have been liable for replacing the windows.

NEVER EVER GO NEAR A BUILDERS CLEAN WITHOUT A CAST IRON DISCLAIMER AND FIRM HANDSHAKE

I hope you can work this one out.

if it is dirty it is fair game

nelly

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 05:11:21 pm »
sound's like your bein . . set up. . the builder couldn't do it . . must be the w/c . .likely story

sam1975

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 10:07:26 pm »
How much money is it worth.  If you are in the right simply tell them that the scratches were there end of.  They wont pay so issue a final demand straight away, I ask how much money is it worth because it will cost you money to mount a case and you might never see a penny  if anything you being aggressive back will get them off your back. I hate scum like these guys but really its partly your fault for not doing due diligence on the company. Learning experience