Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Adam P

gutted :(
« on: September 17, 2010, 10:31:57 pm »
been getting everything together so that i can finally go pick up the carpet cleaning machine i want from cleansmart on Wednesday to find after £600 worth of materials and lots of labour (luckily free) my van is still not fixed and no closer to being done. was really looking forward to getting the machine and having a play cleaning my carpets over weekend but looks like i'll be left to just play with myself :(

Ian Gourlay

Re: gutted :(
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 10:26:05 am »
Make sure you price realistically for the price of transport in your Carpet Cleaning Prices.

Its one of the Major Costs

Adam P

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 12:18:33 pm »
Make sure you price realistically for the price of transport in your Carpet Cleaning Prices.

yeah i can see why. i remember reading a post i think on these forums of some guy that had worked out the cost of his vehicle over 3 years including petrol, repairs, hire cost etc, it was crazy how high it was makes you wonder how the cheap £10 a room, £45 whole house people can make any money.

davep

john aitken

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 02:12:41 pm »

yeah i can see why. i remember reading a post i think on these forums of some guy that had worked out the cost of his vehicle over 3 years including petrol, repairs, hire cost etc, it was crazy how high it was makes you wonder how the cheap £10 a room, £45 whole house people can make any money.

i put 2000 aside last year for mots tax ect not diesel  two vans lasted 8 months dew to repairs  but what can you do you need a van  carnt Carrie the cleaner  unless i get a horse /cart guess you just have to bend over and pay  wish i made money that easy

wynne jones

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 11:35:45 pm »
2k a year is a good figure to work from, if you don't spend it, it's a bonus. The way fuel is going up too it does make you wonder as I travel a lot the jobs have to be worth it, otherwise I would do local.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

M.Acorn

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 08:05:33 am »
Mine has cost me a fortune this year  :(  £1300 on a new gear box,£300 last week for 2 tyres and new front springs,had 2 tyres in Jan but as a spring was bust it ruined them.
Then it`s in the garage on Wed having new cam belt and tensioner,water pump,and mot,looking at over £400 for that !!
Then £200 for tax end of this month,also got to tax and mot the roc this month,so it`s been an expensive one for me !!
What goes around comes around

JandS

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 11:04:19 am »
£300 for 2 tyres  ???   What you driving? A ferrari van!!

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

M.Acorn

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 11:38:57 am »
£300 for 2 tyres  Huh   What you driving? A ferrari van!!

I wish !! 2 tyres + 3 hours labour at £50 per hr ,then 2 new front springs.Went in a pot hole in Jan,bust one of the springs,drove it like that for 8 months,looked at tyres few weeks back,bald as a bald thing,so had to replace them,even though they were only 8 months old  :o

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 12:46:31 pm »
Mark, you have had some bad luck with your vehicles and machines, or dare i say some bad management of them.
It would be interesting to know what they have cost you in the last 18 month, i bet if
you had a new machine and new van, the payments wouldnt be too different,
taking into consideration, downtime of vehicles and machines, ie lost earnings etc.

Personally if i was you i would be looking at new, yes expensive, but atleast look at leasing,
or even deposit and hire purchase. Then look after everything.

Andrew

M.Acorn

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 04:05:12 pm »
The machine was brand new just over 6 years ago,and since i fitted the flo jo pump months ago it`s been fine (touches wood) i have a brand new spare pump,and also have a brand new vac motor,so pretty well covered in that area.
Don`t have work booked in for this Wed,so won`t be losing any work through it,if i do get a booking then garage said they can borrow me a van.
Tyres are service items,springs that bust are common,especially when you go in a really deep pot hole.
Cam belt and water pump being changed as a precaution,as it`s much cheaper than a new engine,i didn`t get any paperwork with the van,as last person who owned it was also self employed.

It`s all ok as i am earning plenty of ££ at the moment,and trying to get ahead of myself before it goes quiet after yule

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 04:08:17 pm »
If there was no "uneven road surface sign" you can claim off the highways,
just a thought.

Andrew

M.Acorn

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 04:15:46 pm »
Yeah i didn`t find that out until a while back,would have had a good case also i think,hole has since been filled in though  :(

Paying out over 3 grand this month,with all my outgoings,not good really  :(

Phild

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 07:00:39 pm »
Re charging for mileage: I don't know what size vehicle you're operating but we use a software package called RoadBase which tracks all costs to do with a vehicle (including automatically inputing fuel costs from the petrol station when we use a Total card). We don't buy vehicles brand new but 2nd hand with low mileages and you're looking at £0.50 - £0.55p per mile. That's on a commercial insurance policy which is expensive at about £850 p.a. / vehicle. Say on average 20,000 miles that's over 4p per mile just for insurance. Phil D

clinton

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 07:11:13 pm »
Its something to put into the equasion as in a few years you will be stuck with no money left in the pot to replace your vehicle..

You have some really bad luck mark,yes go and get a new van and machine am sure you would get more work..

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 07:15:13 pm »
Treat yourself Mark! Think, a nice new shiny machine to show off to customers! :) and a new shiny van! Or atleast a low milager!

I'm getting a new transit, 29,000 miles on the clock and the guy wants £4,500! I almost feel bad for haggling the price down but i will  ;D

robert meldrum

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 07:21:14 pm »
I have a little 1300 Suzuki Carry which I bought new exactly 4 years ago for less than £6k. It's had 2 new tyres @ £50 ea, serviced at around £70 per year, brake disc pads and shoes @ around £90 last year and a new starter motor.

I carry a Bane machine and either a Sabrina or CFR, plus 100 feet of hoses, wands and the usual buckets and periphery. If I'm using my rotary I leave out one of the extraction machines.

This van is used by several Chemdry operators and a multitude of trades because it copes very well and is not only easy to park, but gains access where others can't.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 07:29:12 pm »
Regarding tyres.

Two months ago i bought three van tyres from the scrappies, they are Michelin's and usualy cost £100+ each. I got all three for £80! :) and no, they where not bald, Infact the tread has plenty of life in them!

Had to pay my mechanic a few quid to put them on the wheels but still a huge saving.

Something to think about for the future.

jasonl

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 07:35:57 pm »
That is what I do now Tony , £25 for a branded tyre for the tranny.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

M.Acorn

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 08:17:51 pm »
Stuck with this van for the next 2 years,machine for another 4,by then,i will have got all the money back on the machine from the tax man,and the loan on the van will be paid.
Then it will be time for a Prowler,and have the Prochem as a spare,and a new or low mile vw transporter,as i quite like the idea of turning it into a dual use,work / camper van  ;D