Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

sgray

ECO FRIENDLY CLEANING, ARE THE CHEMICALS ADEQUATE
« on: September 13, 2010, 04:29:21 pm »
Hello all,

does anyone have experience with using increasingly available eco friendly cleaning chemicals. The chemicals I'm talking about are generally window cleaners, multi-purpose cleaners, washroom cleaners, air freshners etc manufactured based on naturally occuring cleaning substances such as vinegar and citrus acids. As a result they tend to have Ph factors closer to neutral and I'm wondering if the weaker Ph along with the abscence of man-made cleaning chemicals compromises the cleaning power of these products.

I'd love to offer "green cleaning" to my clients but I'm not sure if I'd want to do this at the expense of being able to provide a quality deep clean which non eco - friendly cleaning chemicals seem to do quite well.

Any advice hints or tips welcomed :)

kelley

Re: ECO FRIENDLY CLEANING, ARE THE CHEMICALS ADEQUATE
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 05:01:51 pm »
hi,

we use eco-friendly products and i really like them. all our customers love them and most of them smell great too. there is a bit of a down side though as well (i find). limescale!! we have to use a more harsh limescale remover especially around my local area as it has such hard water. things like this are easily overcome though by simply asking your customers.

on other occasions we have used other products that are not eco-friendly. i just ask our customers right at the beginning if they mind. i obviously stress they will only be used if i can not find a suitable way to get rid of the problem being caused.
As most of my customers want a sparkling home they dont mind although you should make sure you always ask as i have asked one customer and she said she would rather have the limescale than any chemicals!

BDCS

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 07:42:28 pm »
I would like someone to define this eco thing for me. I'm all for saving the planet but how are these "eco" cleaners much better than others ? Do they come in a recycleable glass bottle, delivered by a bloke on a push bike? You talk of lemon juice - how much carbon is produced shipping them round the world ? Would you think you may be better off walking to your jobs and using proper cleaners when you get there ? Myself I only use cleaners naturally occurring in my chemical suppliers  ::) ::) ::) I don't want to upset the tree huggers but these are my views  :'( :'(

sgray

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 08:19:56 pm »
Thanks for your inputs,

I appreciate the insight into the limescale problem Kelly and what you  have stated about the "eco" products is encouraging and ill certainly look into providing that option for clients. You've cleared up my concerns about these products not being able to compete against industry norms.
Would you be so kind as to provide some insight into what percentage of your clients actually opt for the eco friendly products when given the choice? This information would be very valuable to me!

BDCS you do make a good point for argument and I certainly can identify with your point of view.  No doubt these products do still produce large amounts of carbon during production and delivery, an issue the manufacturers need to address. To an extent I'd be putting blind faith in the manufacturers to be following eco friendly methods of production and surely by utilising ingrediants naturally occuring such as vinegar and citrus acids there is the obvious eradication of the need to produce man made chemicals, I suppose this poses less of a threat to the environment by means of pollution via leakage of such chemicals etc.

If this is the case, even though not completely sustainable and eco friendly it's still a step in the right direction.

Oh and if any of my cleaners live locally to their jobs I do encourage them to walk or cycle haha   ;D I'm keen on green clean haha I feel a slogan coming on.

Thanks all

Scott

kelley

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 08:24:39 pm »
[quote  I don't want to upset the tree huggers but these are my views  :'( :'(

LOL!!!  :)

im not a tree hugger!!! im not using eco-friendly products to save the world either. i know someone is going to kick off and call me a hyprocrite or something. i started using these types of productsafter my son was born.me and my son both have really sensitive skin and when he was a baby his skin was really sore and cracking. realising i sound like a born again christian or something it was when i was cleaning the bath i realised i probably wasnt helping by cleaning the bath with lots of chemicals.i wouldnt pour a capful of chemicals into my bath water so i didnt want to line the bath in it either. i started looking for alternatives and came across eco friendly products.i didnt want to wash the floor with chemicals either so it just went from there.

im no eco warrior and i dont use everything organic that is known to man but i really like the products.
to cut a long story short i was converted to using alot of eco stuff. i realise its not to everyones taste and thats fine. i started to read lots about organic products, eco products and obviously read alot about saving the planet but i think thats just a bonus.

realising im going on and on so gonna leave there. i just wanted to say you dont have to be tree hugger or be trying to save the planet. i just use them because it works best for me. most of my customers feel the same although if they dont its not a problem as the products work just as well!

kelley

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 08:28:40 pm »
scott,

we only use eco friendly products so i have never really given them the choice. as i said its only limescale that causes a problem the rest of the products are great.

most of my customers come to me because we are using the products we do but every one else just sees it as a bonus. feel free to ask me any more questions, i dont mind

kelley

sgray

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 08:38:08 pm »
Kelly,

you must have a lot of knowledge of these products then! It'd make sense to ask you which brand(s) you use. Clearly the particular products you utilise work well!

Thanks

Scott

The Great One

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 08:51:56 pm »
Hi

I don't feel eco products are even close to using the normal products.

I'm quite sure that when some dolphin is choking to death on a plastic bottle, it will be reassured that it's an eco one  ::)

Martin

kelley

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 08:57:21 pm »
we use alot of different products. ecover, bio-d and method are amongst are favourites. we do use things like white vinegar and we do make our own air freshener. out of our branded products we use mostly method. they're products can be fairly expensive if you do not buy in bulk (im in regular contact with a v v nice lady from method) if you factor the price of some of the products then its all good for everybody. products that stand out for me are the bathroom tub n tile spray, daily granite spray and their wood spray smells lovely and works so well.  

you really have to shop around for it all and some of the products just wouldnt work out well for business. i mean method toilet cleaner is £3.50 for 700ml  :o

i have customers that are really not fussed about eco products and some of them have even been converted to using the granite spray and wood spray purely because it works so well and smells soooo good!!  :D

kelley  

BDCS

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 09:29:16 pm »
I cleaned the carpets of vegans last week and they did'nt even ask about the products, they were just pleased I got them clean so they got their deposit back. Seudo tree huggers ?

gordonswindows

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 10:01:27 pm »
If I can join in I like Kelley am no born again nor do I believe in the purely money making global warming argument but we use natural products too

The real reason we use them to answer the original posters question is because they clean better thhan the man made stuff, not every single time as there is always the exception to the rule but most times.

Now remember I did say I am not a born again neither am I particularly religious but  whom or what ever gave us these natural products gave thhem for a reason and that is they work

Bicarbonate of soda is the main ingrediantc, Kelley mentioned bath cleaning it is ideal, lemon juice dissolves fat cleans most surfaces and shines everything vinegar another main staple of the mix and it is the mix that matters just like baking a cake

Different uses need different mixes someone mentioned carpet cleaning bicarbonate of soda mixed with tomato juice sprinkled over a carpet, sprayed with warm water and a squirt of lemon then extracted with a carpet cleaner removes all dirt stains and odours it is magic

There are occasions when we use "man made" cleaners but they are usually to clean "man made" stains

Mix your own and the cost is minimal but time consuming and I agree with the argument of plastic containers etc but it just a great way to get that edge over any competitors, customers love it

Gordon
Don't Give Up
@askforthemoney

sgray

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 10:49:26 pm »
Great inputs again,

Thanks Kelly i'll certainly look into those brands aswell as shop about, 3.50 for 700ml toilet cleaner which doesn't remove limescale haha. Definately over priced!! Mixing my own sounds like a great suggestion if I can find the time to do it.

My original post was set to determine wether using the eco friendly products would compromise quality of cleaning. I believe its a viable option to offer customers especially given the fact that Kelly operates a cleaning business based solely on natural cleaning products and has clients that use her services for that very reason.

Kelly would you be able to send me websites for your eco product suppliers?

Also Gordon I completely agree with you when you say that providing an eco friendly service would provide a competetive edge! Should help me target clients that are firm believers in the eco friendly approach!

Thanks again,

Scott

BDCS

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 10:57:55 pm »
My missus buys eco cleaners  ?

The Great One

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 11:05:43 pm »
If I can join in I like Kelley am no born again nor do I believe in the purely money making global warming argument but we use natural products too

The real reason we use them to answer the original posters question is because they clean better thhan the man made stuff, not every single time as there is always the exception to the rule but most times.

Now remember I did say I am not a born again neither am I particularly religious but  whom or what ever gave us these natural products gave thhem for a reason and that is they work

Bicarbonate of soda is the main ingrediantc, Kelley mentioned bath cleaning it is ideal, lemon juice dissolves fat cleans most surfaces and shines everything vinegar another main staple of the mix and it is the mix that matters just like baking a cake

Different uses need different mixes someone mentioned carpet cleaning bicarbonate of soda mixed with tomato juice sprinkled over a carpet, sprayed with warm water and a squirt of lemon then extracted with a carpet cleaner removes all dirt stains and odours it is magic

There are occasions when we use "man made" cleaners but they are usually to clean "man made" stains

Mix your own and the cost is minimal but time consuming and I agree with the argument of plastic containers etc but it just a great way to get that edge over any competitors, customers love it

Gordon

Man made cleaners?

These eco cleaners are they magical, or divine, are they transcended by the tears of jesus or do they just magically appear?

What stains in houses are not man made (bloody women at it again?), is this the devil making these stains to be cleaned by the magical eco cleaners?

confused?

Martin 8)

sarahbelleee

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 11:20:55 am »
I am eco products supporter too. They are better for health and environment.   

Robert Parry

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 02:27:37 pm »
Hi,

Dont know if anyone else subscribes to "which?" but a recent survey showed most so called "eco" chems have big question marks against them when it comes to justifying their so called green credentials.

Personally we only deal with Seldon chems, these people are the only chemical manufacturer in europe that exceeds the green and sustainable policy as set down by the eu.

Regards,

Rob
A world of difference....

sgray

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 06:30:11 pm »
Rob,

Glad to hear you say that about Selden products, I currently use their regular range anyway and have been looking in depth into their ecoflower range. Good to know they back up the stamp on the label with real sustainability and green credentials.

BDCS

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 07:36:34 pm »
I use a lot of Selden products - does that make me a tree hugger ?  :'( :'(

gordonswindows

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 01:33:49 pm »
only if "tree hugger" is rhyming slang lol
Don't Give Up
@askforthemoney

BDCS

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 03:50:05 pm »
By ryhming slang would you mean terms like "sweaty sock"?