Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

wayne zabel

Carpet involved in a flood
« on: September 12, 2010, 08:19:10 am »
Im cleaning a carpet tomorrow that was involved in a flood a few months ago,its completely dried out now but Im wondering if there might be any complications on this sort of job?

Joe H

Re: Carpet involved in a flood
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 08:50:23 am »
If it was a dirty water flood there may be problems.

What treatment did the carpet have after the flood?.

Why does it need a clean so soon?

You do seem to pick the "problem" ones Wayne.  Suggest altering your market target.

wayne zabel

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 09:03:23 am »
The carpet is in a pub that is being revamped.

As far as I know the water was extracted from the carpet by a truck mount.It shrank but the pub want it cleaning.

The job has been given to me by a guy can hopefully sub let more work in the future.They wont all be problematic.

It would be nice to work in 4/5 bed detatched in the best parts of town all the time but that doesn't happen when your a newbie I suppose ;D

clinton

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 09:14:34 am »
I would have a good look at the job first wayne and find out as joe said in his post..

The carpet has shrunk already?

As joe said you seem to be getting all the bad work and its the work other carpet cleaners have turned down..

John Kelly

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 09:48:32 am »
This shouldn't be a problem as long as it has completely dried out, especially the underlay. You could test this by buying a cheap 2 pin moisture meter from a diy store. If it is still damp it may be creating an odour. You don't want to be getting blamed for odour problems after the clean.
Before the clean take lots of photographs of all the shrunk areas, split seams etc.
Do this with someone who is either the foreman or manager in attendance.
That way there can be no issues regarding shrinkage after the clean. Preferably get them to sign a letter saying that they are aware that the carpet has shrunk due to the flood.
If you do this then a normal detergent clean using Clensan as a pre-spray should be adequate.
These carpets are usually around 5-6k. Do what I've told you or they could sting you and end up making you buy them a new one!

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 01:27:36 pm »
Wayne i could well be wrong about this but i have to say i dont like it

CAUTION ADVISED ;)
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

wayne zabel

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 01:35:13 pm »
Hi Guys Thanks for advice.
I have been told that the problems of the shrinkage are known by those concerned and they have decided to have the carpet cleaned instead getting a new one.

i just wanted to know of any potential problems in cleaning a carpet that had been in a flood.

JandS

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 02:17:44 pm »
Why do people keep carpets after a flood, just claim
for new off insurance.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

clinton

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 03:25:46 pm »
Was going to say the same john and wayne will have to be carefull they dont try it on with him and make a claim..

John Kelly

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 03:41:16 pm »
Its because lots of businesses like pubs have big excess's especially if they have a history of claims. The flood work we pick up from private clients, some of them have 10k excesses.

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 07:56:45 pm »
Hi Guys Thanks for advice.
I have been told that the problems of the shrinkage are known by those concerned and they have decided to have the carpet cleaned instead getting a new one.

i just wanted to know of any potential problems in cleaning a carpet that had been in a flood.

I agree with everyone else. If it's shrunk is it still on the grippers, has it been refitted? If it's it's loose I would not touch it. A lot of the pubs I do have BW down so be cautious. Otherwise it would be well to follow Johns advice and make sure you do that with the manager or landlord. It's tempting to bypass all this particularly if there is other work on line but it would be unwise.

peter maybury

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 10:54:26 pm »
Follow john kelly's Advice and take photos etc. A body carpet will always give on the seams and very few are ever worn out.
You cannot afford to shy away from this type of work as it is quite normal to  clean pub/night club carpets that are in this state. Be professional be aware of the pitfalls and protect yourself from any come backs. The customers will be impressed at your knowledge of what you are doing. As I have already said this is a common situation in licensed premises where the cost of the carpet is in the region of £30 - £40 per square mtr,
you may be charging a few hundred pound to clean something that would cost the customer £10,000 pounds to replace like for like. Those that are saying why does the customer not just claim on their insurance may not be quite so naive once they have tried claiming on their on liability insurances to find that insurance companies are not their just to hand many out willy nilly.

Peter