Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

SPE

Re: PLEASE HELP!!!40/40 low psi TDS creeping up
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 06:53:37 pm »
alright, I've read all this with interest, have an hf5 from gaps too
changed my pre filters recently and my product tds has risen from 15 to 30 also getting less pressure
bought my prefilters from gardeners threw the old ones away without a thought so could'nt put them back in. Question: is there much difference in performance between different brands of pre filters ? I have 2 10" housings. I  think I have a 5 micron pre sediment and a carbon coconut filter in that order, is that correct ?

tap supply 270 ppm
previous tds before filter change 15 and 60 psi with waste set to 50/50

after changing filters tds of 30, psi of 50

I'm puzzled  ??? whats happened

ps. also when I have drain valve fully open I still get some pure being produced, is this normal ?
can I fit a tap inline on the pure supply and shut it off when flushing ie; drainage tap fully open , will this help flush the membrane more effectively or am I likely to damage it ?

thanks in advance of any advice  ;)
Simon

Ian_Giles

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 07:24:51 pm »
Simon,

Yes to a small amount of pure being produced, you have good mains pressure so even with the drain tap open there is still enough pressure to get through the membrane to produce a little pure water.
Don't worry about that! It's normal, and you do not need to fit an extra tap to close off the pure feed.

I also had that problem with the pre-filters affecting the water pressure and causing a big reduction in output with an alarmingly raised TDS reading too!!! :o

Try removing the particulate filter from the housing, re-fit the housing and run the system again, I'm not a betting man, but if I was I'd bet that your pressure readings will be back to normal and your TDS readings will drop to - or close to - what you had before.

I've no idea why the particulate filter caused the problem, no idea either how many microns it was either, bought new ones from WCW, just the standard ones...god only knows what micron filter they are either, but it did the trick.

If you find the same as I did, contact Gardeners and tell them what happened, they are pretty good, and I'm sure they'll replace them for you.

Oh and don't run your system without having your particulate filter in place for too long!...those 4040 membranes are not cheap to replace if you ruin one!

Although I risked it as I needed water! No harm done as it happens, but as your dad may have said to you (often in my own case) "Don't do as I do, do as I tell you!"

I might take dumb-arse risks but it wouldn't be very professional of me to recommend others to do so :-X :-X

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

C-N-C

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 07:59:22 pm »
Hey ian ;)
Thanks man...
Carnt belive that softner was the problem man :o :o :o
Iv filled my 1000ltr tank up & its still in 21ppm.......just hope it drops after a while as it took a few weeks to rise 8)
20 minute flush gives me piece of mind...better safe than sorry...even if it is over the top!
;)
I agree to ian..... :)

Thank you for your time mate...ya sound bud ;)

Take care & kindest regards
Justin ;)

P.S...i will post & bump this thread if ppm drop's lower than 21...... ;)

C-N-C

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 08:15:47 pm »
Hiya guy's....

do you know what puzzels me???

Simon said his tap tds is 270....mine is 550 ???
he also say's his psi is 60........mine is 10
yet i was producing 14ppm & simon was producing 15ppm....EH!!! ??? ??? ???
surely one of us is wrong simon.....LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And then luther postes this simon & im sure steve has got a high tds & high psi??
As a 4040 reduces ppm by 98% so your ppm in of 550 should produce water out at 11 or so ppm. Changing pre filters generally doesn't change ppm reading just the longevity of the membrane. Can you manually adjust your valve to produce more waste and therefore reduce ppm reading?
And this is what steve said about his HF5,bought it same time as me..... ::)
I bought a HF5 at the same time. I have only got 20 psi but it is reading 20psi in both gauges. That's without a pump. Tds in around 300 out is about 17 can't get it any lower than that.

Can't understand though why only one gauge is reading the psi.

Steve

I'm not sure if my 40/40 is working or not now...lol.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Take care all
Kindest regards
Justin ;)

SPE

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 08:26:51 pm »
Ian, thanks so much for that informed reply,
I had posted about this problem a few weeks ago but got no real answer or perhaps people just did'nt grasp what I was on about !
I am going to be off work for atleast the next week (knee op tomorrow) so will look into it further and may well ring gaps to order whatever pre- filters they suggest.
Thanks once again, glad to know that someone else on here
has encountered the same problem and has the answer, cheers  ;)

Simon

C-N-C

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 08:39:21 pm »
Hiya simon mate.... ;)
Let us know how ya get on dude 8).....if that's okay man
You say 50/50 ratio simon,june from gap's told me not to worry about that,when the tds is lowest thats the happiest the membrain could be ;)
Still Some guy's ian,in he? ;)could do with a few more like him ;)

Good look with the op mate...after all we HF5 40/40 buddies..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Take care mate & kind regards
Justin ;)

SPE

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 09:19:55 pm »
Hiya simon mate.... ;)
Let us know how ya get on dude 8).....if that's okay man
You say 50/50 ratio simon,june from gap's told me not to worry about that,when the tds is lowest thats the happiest the membrain could be ;)
Still Some guy's ian,in he? ;)could do with a few more like him ;)

Good look with the op mate...after all we HF5 40/40 buddies..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Take care mate & kind regards
Justin ;)

cheers justin yeah you and june are right on the waste tap setting, only reason I whack it up a bit is because I'm in a flat and have no static tank so sometimes I need to fill as quickly as I can, on a 50/50 set up (before I changed the filters anyhow) I can fill my 650 tank in 3 hours.
 What Ian was saying makes sense with regards to the filters, was what I suspected too and was just after confirmation. I'll report back here when I've changed them and let ya know if theres improvement.
best of luck

Simon

C-N-C

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 09:46:31 pm »
Hiya simon m8 ;)
He's right AGAIN man..  ;D
I had same problem before,took them out & replaced them & boom water psi went up & ppm down ;)

He's some guy' simon......

Let me know how it goes mate
Good luck & kind regards
Justin ;)

C-N-C

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2010, 12:10:31 pm »
hiya guy's ;)
 gunna keep this thread as a record ov my ppm from 40/40 hf5 ro

Its now up to 25ppm
June from gap's said it SHOULD go back down after a bit,but seem's to be riseing even further :-\

Kindest regards
Justin ;)

C-N-C

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 08:39:07 pm »
out-26ppm
in-571ppm tap water
-25psi on gauges

paul saunders

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2010, 09:21:15 pm »
According to those figures your membrane is approximately 96% efficient which is not bad really. Can you compare your TDS meter with anyone else's as your IN TDS sounds a little high.   
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

C-N-C

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2010, 09:40:29 pm »
Hiya bbdl mate ;)

Thanks for that 96% mate....now i know how efficient membrain is ;)
I have a couple ov tds meter's man & they all the same reading....hartlepool,were i live is well known for realy hard water mate...so i think input is right man.......
Just cannot get my head round it was 14ppm @ first ??? ??? ???  AND RISEING :o

Thank you for that dude....ya sound man
Kindest regards
Justin ;)

SPE

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2010, 11:26:14 am »
Hi cnc just an update, ordered new pre filters from gaps, alls back to normal, tds virtually halved back down to 18 ppm, and I'm happy with that, knees good too and back at work  :D
good luck mate hope you get sorted
simon

C-N-C

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2010, 11:43:02 am »
Hiya simon mate  ;)
Glad to hear ya knee okay bud ;) just be careful bending down to do the bottom ov them french/patio door's ;D
Also ....nice 1 bud wid ya set up....im jelous :'(
Iv changed my pre filters & its no diffrent man........i was gunna post a update...its shocking :o

yesterday came home dinner time to make water while i done the rest ov the day........

My output tds is now  35ppm :o :o :o :o :oi turned it straight off dude :-\
When i got home after work,knackerd i was ;D.......started messing around with drain etc to get a better tds......my psi was right below the norm......the gauge was up & down all the time & had to nealy close the drain to get the psi upseems like summit is blocking it :(

So now iv reversed everything simon.....so drain has tap water going in & tap inlet is now the drain.....im on scary ground mate @ the minute.....iv flushed it last night &
my tap ppm was 537 going in
coming out was 561.....eh!!!!

5 minutes later dropped to 541ppm coming out

i done this for a while(kept checking drain ppm)
It ended up 531 ppm from drain
Inlet water was 517 ppm

ALSO GAUGES RUNNING GOOD PSI ON BACKFLUSH...EVEN SECOND GAUGE REGISTERING ???

My last resort was to backflush system

Im not sure tho mate, if i shoud put a tap on drain & force water through membrain backwards or just let it flush openly as tho its just a nomal flush but backward's......if that makes any sense ;D?????
I'v left it after flushing it for a bout a hour backwards last night......never set it back to normal yet & tested it....just wanted to c wot the guy's thought....cause im lost dude :(

Good to hear ya all sorted simon mate...send a lil bit of that good luck my way fella ;D

anyway simon talk to ya later bud
Kindest regards
Justin ;)

C-N-C

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2010, 01:54:29 pm »
First gauge        (sediment)  10psi on backflush
Second gauge    (carbon)       5 psi on backflush

Water running through level & smooth on backflush....gauge not jumping around...had good flush...hour or so last night & bout half hour this morning...
Going to put it bck togethrer in a bit....let ya know the outcome guy's........ 8)

Kindest regards
Justin ???

C-N-C

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2010, 02:47:38 pm »
All back together now

35ppm :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Never done any good the backflush :'( :'( :'( :'(

ANY SUGGESTIONS GUY'S.........NEED HELP HERE FELLA'S

Going to try & take pre filter's out & put dem back in.....dont know why,but ran out of option's :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Kindest regards
Justin
www.clean-n-clearwindows.co.uk

C-N-C

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2010, 06:11:48 pm »
Hiya there ;)
managed to get it down to 30 ppm...when it's left on a bit it  jumps bk to 35ppm :'( :'( :'( :'(

Not looking good this guy's........ :-[

Anyone know if i should ov restricted the drain on the backflush, to push tap water through membrain, or just the fully opened flush would do????

Any help appreciated fella's...........

Kindest regards
Justin ;)

C-N-C

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2010, 08:11:02 pm »
Shot da towel in....ran out of ideas :'(

Take care
Justin :(

Window Washers

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2010, 11:05:36 pm »
justin what is the waste to pure ratio ?

I have about 65 pure to 35 waste

I would be questioning the membrane it should last more than a couple of months even if you was shooting high tds into it.

some say 5050 or 4060 I have had mine over 2 years running this way and still it is 15 out unpumped, I know it needs replacing and had a replacement just want to see how long it last before I change it over. these low pressure membranes are all well and good if they last if not a booster pump and normal one can save a shed load of hassle.

if you anywhere near me bring your gear over and we can bang heads together and sort problem.

Ian
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

C-N-C

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2010, 12:03:56 am »
Hiya Ian mate ;)
Thank you for ya post man......ya sound dude ;)

justin what is the waste to pure ratio ?
Not to sure man,i was in the middle ov sorting it out when i first got system & asked gap's the correct ratio....they said dont realy matter!!!!  get your tds low as possible & the membrain will be the happiest,when it's producing the lowest tds....so i went with that mate....got it to 14ppm......i'm missing that figure ian man ;D

I would be questioning the membrane it should last more than a couple of months even if you was shooting high tds into it.
I have phoned gaps ,but they say its because i havent flushed softner beads out enough.....only had it on system few weeks...surely carnt be that?? mind you mate tds was only 20 @ the time i phoned them & i took softner straight off then & its now 35 ishso probaly blame me for damage & fob me off man.....left a message anyway :)

if you anywhere near me bring your gear over and we can bang heads together and sort problem.
I'm in hartlepool ian mate.....thank you tho bud for the offer man...ya some guy dude ;)

these low pressure membranes are all well and good if they last if not a booster pump and normal one can save a shed load of hassle.
Thought it was to good to be true....low psi & no booster pump....high tds, hard water ???

Starting to look like ya might be right bud ;) ;D ;D ;D

Thank you for ya time ian mate.....
system left now....havent got a clue wot to do for next week's water man :o :o :o :o :o
looks like bag ov resin a week @ the minute mate :( :( :(

Kindest regards & take care mate....& thanx fella ;)
Justin ;)