Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

John Kelly

Re: IT WAS'NT ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 05:25:52 pm »
Derek, the pub job you mentioned is normal. They do stink when wet due to stale beer and they usually have felt underlays. Smell won't go on these until completely dry.

derek west

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 05:42:38 pm »
broken dishwasher did the flooding. really stunk like cat wee. wierd, didn't get a call back though and got paid, cheers john.

robert meldrum

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 10:54:00 pm »
Did a similar job to Dereks a week ago.............fridge left open over the weekend and flooded a small area of an office with accompanying smell.

That job was extracted, sprayed with an enzyme product and rinsed clear of odours and left clean.

This " smelly job "was, on the face of it, a straightforward clean of a longish but dense synthetic pile twist, which if constructed properly should have presented no problem.

Because it was a " clean " carpet and there was a requirement for quick drying there was a low volume of water and the psi was down at 150 max.

Having cleaned loads of B/W's without mishap there was never the slightest expectation of a problem with this type carpet and with the very small amount of water reaching the base of the pile it's astonishing that a chemical reaction appears to have taken place and worse still........there is no known solution to the problem.

Customer has been informed of my discussion with the retailer and my efforts to find a solution from within the industry. I've suggested she contacts the retailer.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 07:07:22 pm »
We've encountered this problem recently. We cleaned the carpet last week and the customer rang a few days later complaining of a urine type smell. We explained the problem and they have now got onto the manufactures. In the meantime we are going to spray a deodoriser on to it.

Simon

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 09:45:08 pm »
Seems to be a big problem:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=smelly+latex+glue&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADBS_en-GB&redir_esc=&ei=tUNoTJPVEYOD4Abd8KCZBA

I've just been reading through various websites listed above.
This problem seems to go back to at least 2005 with latex backed rugs. Granted most if not all seem to be a USA based problem (items produced in Asia) but you would have thought carpet manufacturers on this side of the Atlantic would have learnt from that problem.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 09:49:17 pm »
Neil,
From what the retailer was saying the manufacturers seem to be aware of the problem. Let's hope they fix it - soon!

Simon

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 10:10:06 pm »
Thanks for the pictures Simon.
Just did a search through Abingdon carpets and was amazed to see that the book price for that carpet is £30/sqm
For that money you would expect it not to give problems, although I have to ask why your customer was having it cleaned? According to Abingdon that carpet seems resistant to just about everything.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 10:16:08 pm »
Neil,

I think it is only stain resistant, but thankfully not dirt resistant.

Simon

wynne jones

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2010, 08:19:10 pm »
It's particularly resistant to water, hence getting into the backing.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Stu.Clem

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 01:48:55 pm »
I too have a £400 black acrylic long piled rug in my lockup from on of my regulars who had tried to clean it herself and it caused a stink.   I tentatively tried sponges  then more vigourously with MPower / Nemesis followed by prolonged downdraft drying and was STILL stinking in my lockup so black bag sealed it. Now 8 months later she dont want it back admitting that she took its smaller sister version back to shop and was told they had had loads of complaints of these rugs becoming smelly following cleaning attempts something to do with manufacturing process so basically according to the sale of goods act 1984? they are not really fit for the purpose they were designed for??  Sounds like carpet in question has construction issues similar to these rugs.   At least I can bin it now  ;D

Stu