Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

wayne zabel

Nailing down a BW to clean it
« on: July 21, 2010, 07:28:50 pm »
Last week I posted on here after doing an Axminster and had it pull of the door plate and appear to have shrunk a little.At the time I was worried ,anyway since then I never heard from the customer and have cleaned her daughters carpet and had a recomendation to another relative that I visited tonight to do a quote.

The job was 2 BW's!!!!!! Having learnt my lesson from last week I did all the checks I should hav done and didnt with Axminster.Parts of the BW werent very well attatched to the grippers.

I explained the situation to the client and told him that one possibility was to nail the carpet to the gripper bars and then clean the BW,he has agreed to do this before I arrive.

Will this work and at what distance apart should the nails be placed?

Thanks Wayne.

JandS

Re: Nailing down a BW to clean it
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 07:34:59 pm »
I clicked on this 'cos I thought it said BMW?
There still some of these about?

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

clinton

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 07:44:12 pm »
Wayne make sure the grippers are stuck down to the floor too mate as it might still curl up..

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 09:26:59 pm »
Be careful you don't wet the nails and then they leave rust marks in the carpet which you are called back to remove-hopefully, successfully!
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

richy27

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 10:08:36 pm »
the way i see it is this.

are you being payed well to clean it.

are you un sure how the BW is going to react to HWE

is LM cleaning or dry an option.

remember disclaimers are not worth the paper they are written on if you shrink it you or your insurance will be paying for it .

all these questions you need to ask yourself it may not be worth it.

yes i can see that you want to do it if possible because you have been recom by a third party but you have to weigh up your options.

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 10:20:30 pm »
Wayne roger has made a good point regarding rusting  nails ect.

Dont be afraid if you have taken on the axminster and learned from that.

i use 1" batten galv nails 3 nails in a 2 foot length plenty of dry passes running the snail blower at the same time.

I clean a indian restaraunt every 6 months bw dont get it to wet and get the air moving on it. your be fine :)
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

jasonl

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 10:26:13 pm »
I really cannot believe I am reading this
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Ricky M

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 11:14:04 pm »
pad it and you will ticketboo
if its a really old 1, 8 years + then lift it re-fit with fresh under lay and new gripper rods where needed, if its concrete floor
 ( quick stick, drill , concrete nails, door plates ) then leave it for 24 hrs to cure adhesive.

charge accordingly !!

we have done this for other reasons twice now and the clients where very happy  ;D

www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

wayne zabel

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 07:18:27 am »
I really cannot believe I am reading this

Why ???

Nobby

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 09:03:12 am »
Wayne,  I have been an occasional observer of this forum since I decided not to post on it many years ago but I just can't ignore your request for advice and let you, potentially, suffer the consequences.  I would have to advise you not to do as you propose as it really doesn't matter how firmly the carpet is fixed to the gripper if the gripper is ripped out of the floor by the force of the shrinking carpet.  If the floor is concrete then simply hammering in the nails will loosen the grippers and make matters worse.  If you are not confident of cleaning this carpet without shrinkage my advice would be to decline the work, you will gain far more respect than you would if you damaged the customers carpet and floor.

Nobby

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 05:07:12 pm »
As you are new I should walk

I got hit for £250 two years ago  for a carpet worth £100 by a  Big Lotto Winner  who changed into one of those new money type horrible people

People are grateful of your help but it goes wrong sometimes
 You may clean it and it is ok

But eventually  you crash and burn

Steve Chapman

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 05:46:23 pm »
i'm not sure about you, but if one of my customers came in and saw me hammering nails into there carpet im sure they'd have a heart attack  ;D

Not the best look for a carpet cleaner in action  :o

steve

brianbarber

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 05:49:06 pm »
Just done two today, informed custy of risk, just about to start and she said she had cleaned with a rug doctor.......so I nuked em......a
Its all good !!

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

Dave_Lee

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 06:12:04 pm »
The simple way of dealing with BW's is to explain that due to the pile content and method of manufacture, they are prone to shrinkage, end of, no argument. I then tell them that although I dont usually have problems with them providing they are well fitted on secure fittings, I will only do the job at their risk.
They then usually ask, how much will it shrink if, it does. I tell them that is not possible to estimate. Before they have chance to say anything else, I tell them that it is best to decide whether it come to the point that it definitely needs to be cleaned and if it has then perhaps they need  to take the chance.
They always go for it and are delighted when there is no problem, but without them taking the risk I wouldn't do it, simple as that.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

cleanability

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 07:21:20 pm »
Bleeping hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  hammering nails into a customers floor lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll I've heard it all. As logical as it sounds I'd rather not do the job if you're that worried.

Chris

gwrightson

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 07:32:58 pm »

So please can you guys who have shrunk a bw , why have you not got a decent carpet fitter who you can call on , with a power strecher?

I have shrunk one a few years ago, and had a good idea it would shrink on inspection, custy ok,d the clean after i explained possiblity of it been restreched. 
carpet fitter did not have a problem, the same as another custy who had already got a shrunken bw, he streched and refitted for her.
let the bw relax for a few days and Most , i say Most of the time it can be rectified.

Now I am not saying dont take the usual precautions, all i,m saying if the worst happens it is not the end of the world,

geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

wayne zabel

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 07:59:37 pm »
Bleeping hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  hammering nails into a customers floor lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll I've heard it all. As logical as it sounds I'd rather not do the job if you're that worried.

Chris

I'm only asking for advice,I have read on this forum and been told by others that this is a common thing to do on a BW to prevent shrinkage.

A few months ago I posted on here that I had informed a potential client about the risks of claning BW's and was told that I would be losing lots of potential jobs by doing so.I have since done 3 BW's with no problems.

I had a scare last week with an Axminster so as a newbbie I'm being cautious again.

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 08:15:33 pm »
I'm only asking for advice,I have read on this forum and been told by others that this is a common thing to do on a BW to prevent shrinkage.

A few months ago I posted on here that I had informed a potential client about the risks of claning BW's and was told that I would be losing lots of potential jobs by doing so.I have since done 3 BW's with no problems.

I had a scare last week with an Axminster so as a newbbie I'm being cautious again.

Wayne you have hit the nail on the head this time lol
Do your checks and you should be fine mate.

common sense and good communication with the customer then make your own mind up

some will say they can shrink to the size of a postage stamp danger scary beware run for the hills ;D
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 01:25:45 am »

So please can you guys who have shrunk a bw , why have you not got a decent carpet fitter who you can call on , with a power strecher?

I have shrunk one a few years ago, and had a good idea it would shrink on inspection, custy ok,d the clean after i explained possiblity of it been restreched. 
carpet fitter did not have a problem, the same as another custy who had already got a shrunken bw, he streched and refitted for her.
let the bw relax for a few days and Most , i say Most of the time it can be rectified.

Now I am not saying dont take the usual precautions, all i,m saying if the worst happens it is not the end of the world,

geoff

My understanding and I could be wrong is you can stretch them one way but not the other

Anyway mine would not stretch back

I did talk to them about riskbut did not get them to sign

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 06:12:06 am »
I'm with Dave Lee on this one. Explain the risks to the customer and if they are willing to take the risk then do it, if not, walk.
What you learn over time is that is better to leave certain jobs than take them on knowing there is a risk. And if you take them on and there's a problem your client quickly turns into the customer from hell and you end up kicking yourself for not have listened to the alarm bells that were ringing in your head in the first place.

Simon