Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Gwynfor

Von Schrader / Host
« on: July 05, 2010, 07:23:15 pm »
I am brand new to the forum . I am looking to start up a carpet cleaning business in a small way at first.

I am not looking to purchase a van at this stage.

My research has drawn me to the Von Schrader ranger as a possible piece of equipment suited to my ideas.

Any feedback on the company and products would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Gwyn

Gwynfor

Re: Von Schrader / Host
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 09:21:35 pm »
Any suggestions of a similar method would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Gwyn

Richard Cole

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 09:58:51 pm »
Its only been a couple of hours, give it some time.  I'm new myself but I would recommend that you book yourself on a training course first before deciding on a machine, like the NCCA as you will get to try various machines and so be better informed as to what machine is best for you.

My understanding is that whilst the Host is a good machine, it does have its limitations and that it will not be able to give a really deep clean.  Most people on here and on other forums seem to advocate the HWE route.

Have a search on here and do lots of reading to get a better understanding of the industry.
former carpet cleaner, now retired!

Gwynfor

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 10:36:40 pm »
Hi Richard,
Many thanks that's what I have been doing. Some great information but a real minefield !!

Do you know anything about the Prochem range ?.

Thanks,

Gwyn

Richard Cole

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 08:04:43 am »
Prochem from what i gather from this and other forums are a reliable and good machine / solution manufacturer along with good training, one of the stallwarts of the cleaning industry.

I was going to buy the Prochem Steempro Powermax but changed my mind at the last minute and got a Airflex Pro from Matt at Clean Smart in Nottingham as it had a higher spec and for a newer machine was getting some good reviews.
former carpet cleaner, now retired!

Gwynfor

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 09:46:33 am »
Hi Richard,

Thanks for that. Funny you should mention the airflex because that was the next one I was going to ask about.
I have been sent some information on the Airflex Turbo. It appears to have excellent reviews. Is this a wet system (sorry I don't know the right terminology)
How would you say it compares?

David Rogers

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 05:34:05 pm »
Hi Gwyn,

When you say the 'Von Schrader' range, are you talking about their dry upholstery cleaning range (the 'Aridex' and 'Esprit' dry foam upholstery cleaning systems), or are you talking about the 'HOST' machines and systems (purely for carpet cleaning) ?

Host Von Schrader currently brand their carpet cleaning machines and systems under the 'HOST' brand, and their dry foam upholstery cleaning machines and systems under the 'Von Schrader' brand.

Two very different systems: HOST uses dry compound method for cleaning carpets.   VON SCHRADER is a dry foam detergent method.

As a full time carpet & upholstery cleaning business, I personally wouldn't limit myself to either systems, however if you are looking to work part-time and just do the dry systems (which are MUCH easier to learn and operate) then staying purely with the dry methods would be fine.

Some franchises operate exclusively with dry systems (Bone-Dry and Zero Dry Time being two of them) but marketing spends are high in order to get the required target customers who want this type of service.

Also, dry machines are usually much more expensive that entry-level HWE machines.   The HOST Freestyle for example costs £3499+VAT  :o   

In my business I offer three methods of carpet cleaning: Hot Water Extraction, Bonnet Carpet Cleaning, and Dry Compound.  For Upholstery cleaning I offer Hot Water Extraction and up until today the ARIDEX system from Von Schrader. However, I am personally not satisfied with the results from ARIDEX, and considering it's price (£2,700+VAT) I cannot justify it, when HWE works fine in most cases of upholstery cleaning.   Ian Monk of Clean Machine has therefore kindly agreed to exchange my ARIDEX system for a new back-up Hot Water Extraction Machine!  ;D

For Dry Compound, I use the Envirodri system, which is similar to HOST.   I bought a brand new Envirodri GEN4 machine last week (from John Williams at CareClean UK) for around £950 and it is superb in operation and build quality.   I also prefer Envirodri's sponges as I find them just as effective as HOST, but easier to vacuum.

I do about 50% How Water Extraction cleaning and 30% Dry Compound, and 20% Bonnet Cleaning in my business.

I hope this bit of insight into the dry methods has helped.    If you market and proposition it correctly, dry carpet cleaning can be viable on it's own but you can't do it effectively with entry level stuff like a £200 Sebo Duo and a 1kg bag of HOST!  ;Dv    ....... up front investment is usually more for a dry system than wet but the business model is easier and the risks lower.

Cheers,

David

VOGUE CARPET CARE

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 09:50:49 pm »
Hello, Best stick to a hot water extraction machine,Von Schader does not have a good extraction system,it just moves the dirt around!how can you clean properly with a Schrader in a commercial situation or domestic if it comes to that.

Dave Roberts

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 12:38:51 pm »
The Von Schrader Machine does extract; it uses a dry foam (90% solid) and has a built-in wet/dry vacuum to remove the soil.

I'm not a fan of it's effectiveness, having owned one which i sold after 2 weeks, however I disagree that it just smears the muck and has no extraction.   the vac was the best part on it!

Phillip Mold

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 02:44:41 pm »
Gwynfor,

I started up four years ago with no previous knowledge. I did the 2 day NCCA course which gave me the confidence to get going. I would strongly suggest you do a course, try our different systems and when you have worked out which cleaning system suits you then try and get out with established carpet cleaners, try their machines and see how they work before you buy. I would hope that someone on here relatively near to you who is not close enough to view you as a competitor will give you a days taster, bit far for you to come to me however.

When you do a course remember that if it is provided or sponsored by a machine or chemical supplier you will not get an unbiased message!

Good luck
Doing the best job in the world as well as I can