Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

james roffey

Technical query
« on: June 09, 2010, 10:52:40 pm »
I am presently using a Ninja with a V2 Steammate, recently i had to replace the solution hose which had degraded i replaced it with an unsleeved hose, what i want to know is could the hose which does get very hot actually melt or damage some carpets its probably too hot to actually hold but it is rubber so surely it cant get that hot, the brass parts on the hose do get even hotter but these do not at any time come into contact with the carpet i suppose i would need to know the melting point of polyprop and Nylon etc to get a definitive answer, but thought i would ask you guys, the fully sleeved stuff is so expensive too

Michael Smallwood

Re: Technical query
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 11:03:17 pm »
I've a ninja with the built in steam mate, and unsleaved hoses. I have not had any problems. Occasionaly there has been a line in the carpet as much from the weight of the hose as heat, and these have always wanded out.

Cheers

Mike
Mike Smallwood

www.mascleaning.com

Nigel_W

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 06:33:05 am »
James,

Yes, the unsleeved hose will damage polypropylene carpets if the hot hose is left in contact with the carpet for any length of time. This is very difficult to remove. If you are in a job where you think the carpet is polypropylene use dust sheets or hook your hoses off the floor or run your solution line inside some spare vac hose.

Nigel
www.designcare.co.uk

ianharper

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 06:39:09 am »
James

be careful with heat because you are using a ninja the hose runs are not as long as a TM so the temperature will still be very high when is hits the carpet. This can cause damage, rippling etc

Respect

Ian Harper

Joe H

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 07:50:21 am »
and hot solution hoses running over laminate/wood floors will not be so good either, so some barrier required.

james roffey

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 08:19:14 am »
is there not some type of sleeve you can fit over it my old sleeved hose has a thick nylon type insulator without having to go down the road of paying for a fully sleeved hose the last one cost nearly £300 for a 50ft length and i had that dreaded black stuff come out of it when it degraded i only had the thing for about a year.

gwrightson

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 08:40:34 am »
The solution to your problem is to fit insulation for pipes, simply put a slit in with stanly knive slips on and off easily and is light.

heres a link
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9273770&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=pipe+insulation&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1276155220372&isSearch=true

James

be careful with heat because you are using a ninja the hose runs are not as long as a TM so the temperature will still be very high when is hits the carpet. This can cause damage, rippling etc

Respect

Ian Harper

Cant think why you said this Ian,  I bet the heat at my wand is far higher than any portable even running at 200ft and that is with the temp settings not on high.

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

absolutecleaning

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 08:45:57 am »
I like that idea Geoff - cheers.

Simon

markpowell

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 09:19:47 am »
If you have a spare vac hose, run the solution hose through that.
Mark

Doug Holloway

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 05:33:41 pm »
Hi Guys

Nylon has a realtively high melting temeprature, about 250C but polypropylene can melt as low as 130C.

It is important to realise that PP is not a distinct material, it will contain lots of different polymer lengths with different structures which means some parts may soften at a much lower temperature.

You do not have to melt PP to cause a problem, the heat can soften the PP and the weight of the hose can change the angle that the fibres are laying at and you have an permanent 'groove'.

I generally use old towells if I believe the PP may cause a problem although it is unusual and will only happen if you are running very hot.

Cheers

Doug

JandS

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 06:48:43 pm »
For the extra £50 get the sleeved hose.
The Ashbys solution hose is far better than others I have seen.
It's even covered to contain any bursts.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 08:57:16 pm »
Hi Guys

In reality only a few carpets , the cheap PP ones are likely to give problems.

If the carpet looks waxy it is much more likely to be a lower meltiing point PP.

Cheers

Doug

John Milnes

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 02:26:37 am »
Why not just buy the sleeving?

http://www.hypex.co.uk/store/home.php?cat=384

Joe H

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 06:32:58 am »
It says "wide temperature range" but I cannot see how wide a range.

The pricing - is that per foot, per yard / metre?

ianharper

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 07:58:26 am »
Guys

I just cant see why you need such high temperature. with all the other factors in the cleaning process Dwell, chemical activity, and mechanical action being present in the cleaning process.

The only place i see see such high heat is needed is on black top in a pub or a dirt carpet in a restaurant where oil is in the air.

Because heat is available to you does not mean that is the main factor. anyway James is an eco cleaner and if he is using really high heat it might be down to the fact that the detergent that he is using is not working to its best because its not designed for high heat.

As far as polypropylene goes Ultrapac is the answer because of the type of ions involved in the bonding (positive charge)

I rate dwell time over heat any day.

Respect

Ian Harper

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 08:42:18 am »
The other problem with using excessive heat is the risk of warping woven carpets which in some cases can be terminal and be very expensive to replace the carpet.
Very high solution temps, in-excess of 200 degrees don't in my view clean the carpet any better and with the additional risks of using high temps it's just not worth it.
The ability of some devices and truck mounts to produce super high temperatures is not so you can clean at those temps but to compensate for longer distances between the unit and the tool. Our Titan 875 will produce 260 degrees and with two RX20's working at long range the temp at the machine will be around 230 but by the time the solution gets to the machine the temp is just below 200. If we tried to clean at 260 we'd be in all sorts of trouble.

Simon

ianharper

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 12:16:28 pm »
Well said simon.

The other issue here is when people pre spray and scrub then use high heat with the rinse. what is the point the bonds been broken already.

Also some issues come from using the wrong detergent. as i said

its about balancing Dwell, chemical activity, mechanical action, and heat in the method that's best for the job in hand, and not thinking that one method will be OK for every job or customer requirements.

we provide an eco clean but its not our usp any more its just one of many types of service that we can provide. just providing eco cleaning can be an handicap for some cleaners.

whats really exciting about this is that products and method make each and everyone of use unique. its a shame that many don't show this in their marketing message. Just look at any product range and you will see many different what i call Star's to use in marketing your business

Respect

Ian Harper

james roffey

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 06:25:23 pm »
I am like most of you guys i offer eco friendly and promote this service, but i soon discovered that on some carpets you have to use something that is going to give what the customer wants most of all and that is a clean carpet, the high heat i still believe cuts through the grime better than just warm, i do agitate using my envirodri as well.
Regarding the hose the hose that caused all the problems was the fully sleeved Ashby's one that has been suggested that i buy and was very expensive i do not think it viable to spend that sort of money on something and then have to  replace it after just a year.
It's a hose for goodness sake not a delicate electrical part i am surprised that a simple sleeve is not availlable i spend enough time setting up and putting away and would rather not have yet another job like putting towels down which sounds very time consuming or, attaching pipe insulators designed for copper pipes, can just see carrying 50ft of that in my van all of it it short 3ft lengths, sorry to sound negative but surely we are all looking at ways to make are lives easier, i suppose i will have to bite the bullet and get a fully sleeved premade one but no way am i getting the same one as last time i think that was very poor and wont soon forget the black stuff that went over the customers carpet.

JandS

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 06:48:23 pm »
Had mine now for 7 days short of a year and never a problem.
You get them from Ashbys??

John

Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

clinton

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 08:30:24 pm »
Same as john said i have not heard of that problem before..