Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Richy L

Re: A picture paints a 1000 words
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2009, 03:10:40 pm »
how about window cleaning, you cant clean a single window from a ladder by law? I have done this on site many times filling out a risk assessment the foreman and safety inspector of the site had no problem if the ladde is footed.

It would be much easier using a cherry picker, but you could use a ladder, just with the top end over the roof, footed.
It would have knocked £240 off the price which probably would have gotten you the job.

GWCS

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2009, 08:11:28 pm »
You should maintain 3 points of contact with the ladder, there is no way you can pressure wash one handed safely!

A window cleaner only uses one hand cleaning windows, and a window cleaner should be using an alternative method such as WFP in the first place.

A window cleaner would only be at the window for less than 5 mins (short duration) whereas pressure washing you would be on the ladder far longer.

There is no way that HSE would actually find you RA passable pressure washing. The foreman and "safety inspector" obviously have no idea of the HSE regulations.

Resting a ladder on guttering is not a permanent fixture capable of taking the weight you should be using a stand off, and footing is the last line of stabilising a ladder, it should be leashed, or use other stabilising devices first and foremost.

If youre pressure washing why not get a powerpole and various angle jet attachments?

stalwart

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 10:19:56 am »
Thanks for your comments guys,i've done quite a few of these jobs over the last couple of years and trust me,i thought like you Richy that ladders would be a cheaper option,but its NOT safe.
Think of when you do drives paths etc  your maintaining an even distance with the nozzle end from the work surface this also has to apply when paint stripping from walls,this you cant do off a ladder,remember,99% of the time you have 2 hands on your lance.
Secondly,
you cant work anything above waist level on vertical surfaces you need to be on top,looking down on your work
theres also the splash back for a start,even with a full visor you cant see what your doing properly.
The weight of your hose,up a ladder after 5 mins that gets bloody heavy.

GWCS
Its a good point about a powerpole,i have an extenable HP lance,i use it mainly for general removal of dirt,but again,you really need to be face on to the surface for paint removal as it takes a bit more time,and them lances get extremly heavy to,not only that its not good for the neck looking up for hours.

Richy,no offence but get out your ladder,extend it as much as you can,get up it with your lance etc,see how you get on ;)

If i get one of these jobs again,i'll take some pics and show you all what i mean ;D
Been there,seen it,done it,just cant remember when

Richy L

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2009, 06:35:15 pm »
Ive done it before, a few years ago now mind, on site as well for another company. I know you wouldnt get away with it now. i am only talking about 8 years ago. Jetwashing with just one arm from a ladder- its tiring, but it is possible.

I have never done this type of paint removal, only cleaning. Cleaning a house this size would take half an hour to an hour so it would be no problem. I would use my telescopic lance probably. I suppose, if you are removing paint you will up there for a lot longer which i wasnt think about.

Looking at it again and hearing what you guys have said, I would now agree a cherry picker or scaffold would be the best things to use.

stalwart

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2009, 07:54:31 pm »
Hey no probs Richy,thats how we all learn,through practical experience  :)
Been there,seen it,done it,just cant remember when

drive surgeon

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2009, 08:53:52 pm »
garden furniture mid clean!!

mark.laycock1@ntlw

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 08:26:51 am »
that looks good.what do you stain it with after
mark

drive surgeon

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2009, 11:43:19 am »
i just let custy stain it after i clean it.  not getting invloved in that hassle. :-\

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2009, 01:31:57 pm »
On the pressure washing off ladders issue,.. I personally don't think its safe,.. but for the odd windowsill etc I've found that having a quick connect directly after the trigger and before the lance shaft can be very handy. I just disconnect the shaft and click the nozzle straight onto the trigger,....

drive surgeon

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2009, 05:44:12 pm »
why dont you use an extension lance with a turbo nozzle on? or a fan spray?

i charged 60 quid for an hour to jet wash the table and four chairs but i could be too cheap?? ???

Buckethead

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 11:34:16 pm »
The results on that table are amazing! BTW dig the cup ring come off.

Was that paint or just muck?

drive surgeon

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2009, 12:31:27 pm »
that is weathered wood, its like algae.  it was tough to shift but god it looks good now. custy said they will  just rub teak oil into it after.  :D