JW1

Re: Advice for WFP starter needed please
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 05:15:15 pm »
basically when using an RO system for every litre of pure water produced , a litre of water goes down the drain i am switching over to di only in the near future . Mike

Although I'm not 100% sure yet what the differences between the 2 are (my basic understanding is RO takes longer, is cheaper and produces more waste? DI uses more resin, but is quicker?)

Forgive my ignorance, I'm still learning.  Is my reading of 412 high, medium or low?

If low, does that mean I should use DI instead of RO?

Mike #1

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 06:08:03 pm »
You need an RO  mate you must be in hard water area  that reading is very high. Mike

JW1

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 07:36:52 pm »
You need an RO  mate you must be in hard water area  that reading is very high. Mike

Ok, thanks.

So a RO, in the garage, pumped to the van or trolley each day?

How many litres a day might I need, and how long will it take to make?

concept

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 07:44:06 pm »
When you start up, you will use a lot of water until you get to know what you're doing.

To give you an idea, 2 men, 20-25 houses, uses about 4-500l.

There is no exact science to what you will need, as some like high flow, and rinse 2-3 times, some have a low flow and rinse once, so it's all theory until you get out there and try.

Our 4040 boosted system does around 150l per hour, give or take. This varies with the temperature.

JW1

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 07:48:13 pm »
Ok, so on my own (once I've got used to using it) I'll probably need 200-400 litres a day, and I'll need to dispose of the amount in waste each day?

concept

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 07:52:48 pm »
Dispose or recycle yes. If you don't have mains drainage, 200 or 400l is a lot to dispose of daily in your garden!

JW1

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 07:54:39 pm »
Dispose or recycle yes. If you don't have mains drainage, 200 or 400l is a lot to dispose of daily in your garden!

That's what I'm worried about. In icy weather is imagine that's a problem. Also if the ground is already waterlogged from rain etc.

David Salkeld

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 07:57:17 pm »
Ok, so on my own (once I've got used to using it) I'll probably need 200-400 litres a day, and I'll need to dispose of the amount in waste each day?

Yes. But don't worry unless you're on a meter. Then your water bill will about double.
But the extra you are charged you can put as business expense.
I'm not on a meter so those who may disagree.

David
Good Honest Service

JW1

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 08:01:20 pm »
Fortunately, I'm not on a meter. So for the time being my main issue will be waste disposal I reckon.

Banbury Window Cleaning

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 08:29:56 pm »
is there no drain close by?? my ro,di and static ibc tank is in my garage that is nearly 100ft from my tap and drain i just trail a hose up the garden to the drain!!
surely you cant out that amount of waste water onto your garden every day??
In the struggle for survival, the fittest win out at the expense of their rivals because they succeed in adapting themselves best to their environment."

concept

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2012, 08:37:25 pm »
Fortunately, I'm not on a meter. So for the time being my main issue will be waste disposal I reckon.

Is there nobody local to you that could sell you pure water? Sounds like you've got a bit of thinking to do!

JW1

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2012, 08:40:05 pm »
Well, the waste water from my house goes straight to the septic tank in the back garden and then to a soak away. I don't think it's a good idea putting an extra few hundred litres of water a day in there.

The rainwater from the roof goes into a separate (fairly small) soak away in the back garden, I'm not sure that can take 400l a day either.

JW1

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2012, 08:42:30 pm »

Is there nobody local to you that could sell you pure water? Sounds like you've got a bit of thinking to do!

I didn't even know that's an option to be honest.

Surely there must be other WFP users that are not on mains drainage.

JW1

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2012, 10:29:46 am »
I've thought about it for a few days, and decided not to let it stop me.

It was mentioned that a RO system could re-cycle the waste, how easy is that to set up?

If I go DI only (to reduce the waste water output) and lets say I average 400l per day (does that seem realistic?) how much per month might I have to spend on materials (is it just the resin?)

Also, using the same figure of 400l per day, how long would it take to make and how much waste would be made?

Cheers again  :)

concept

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2012, 11:48:53 am »
http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/Resin%20Calculator.htm

Look at that, and you will see why you can't go DI only in a hard water area like ours.

Look at the thread and take notice of what has already been recommended to you  :)

JW1

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2012, 11:52:58 am »
http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/Resin%20Calculator.htm

Look at that, and you will see why you can't go DI only in a hard water area like ours.

Look at the thread and take notice of what has already been recommended to you  :)

Ouch - point taken  :o

So, I'm looking at trying to buy the water locally or try to dump 250-500l a day in the back garden (or over the back field?)

concept

JW1

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2012, 02:46:08 pm »
No, unfortunately not  :(

concept

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2012, 03:24:20 pm »
In that case, you really are going to struggle.

I can't see what options you have for your waste water.

JW1

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2012, 01:10:42 pm »
I've re-read the thread, and had a long discussion with Andrew at Pure Freedom (very helpful)

Looks like my only option is to buy the pure water, maybe once a week (1000 litres?)

I've searched the forum and spent some time on Google but I can't find a supplier nearby.

Any ideas where I might be able to buy from and how much per litre I should expect to pay?

Buckingham/Brackley/Bicester/Milton Keynes area ideally

Thanks