CraigBlues

MPV - Use as a Van?
« on: December 24, 2011, 04:10:10 pm »
Evening Guys!

Firstly just want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

Also anyone use a MPV i.e Citroen Belingo Multispace as a van for window cleaning?

Anyone know what the load capacity is? I'm guessing its slightly less than a van but could you still fit a small WFP system in the back, or a trolley system possibly?

Basically if anyone knows the weight load that be perfect! :-)

Re: MPV - Use as a Van?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 05:27:02 pm »
I know someone who use renault kangoo, he isn't sure of max payload but he has 200 litre tank in back which is enough for him anyway.

Just be careful as the weight would be right at the back due to chairs being further forward.  I have a caddy that also comes in the maxi with seats in, but would't like to stick 400kg right over the rear axle as its too far back.

Other than that, cant help, sorry!

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 06:43:43 pm »
I put a 350L upright tank in the tailgate area of one of the early Berlingos, with ladders and equipment plus one person it takes the payload to the Maximum legal weight spread over two axles.
I have just Bought a Ford Galaxy and will refit everything in the Berlingo in it, as I needed more space. But the Berlingo will do it at a pinch.

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 07:39:00 pm »
I put a 350L upright tank in the tailgate area of one of the early Berlingos, with ladders and equipment plus one person it takes the payload to the Maximum legal weight spread over two axles.

have you done it per axle? as that is where problem will be, with rear overloaded. and I imagine substantially percentage wise, which is how they judge it by.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 09:16:30 pm »
It was within the limits per axle and total weight- just.

LWC

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 08:54:43 pm »
I had a Ford Galaxy up until 6 months ago or so, it was a 2.3 petrol so very heavy on fuel!

But had a 400l tank in back, was brilliant in fairness, bags of room! I blanked out back windows to. I had no problems with it other than mpg, would go for diesel in future for sure!

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 09:05:02 pm »
Thanks for feedback FireMatt  8) Dont suppose you still got a handbook or roof bars and or tips  ?

My annual milage is lowish 3,500 so not too woried bout mpg, just wanted a bit of space  8) Mines petrol 2.3 1981 £1000 - any guess on mpg.
Looked at a Mitsubishi Van but its a tad too long for the Garage which the Galaxy fits in  8) its also lower than the berlingo by 2"

Craig I fastened the tank in with ratchet straps to the seat anchorages and fed round the tank baffle spaces then to the rear anchorages, the weigt of water helps keep it in place, but please note I only do 3 miles slowly fully laden at 15 mph for the flower basket watering the tank does, For window cleaning use I use 10L containers carrie seperately.Also look at the fiat/peugot equivalent.
Cheers Merry...... healthy New Year  ;D

LWC

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 09:12:37 pm »
Tips? Drive it slow  ;D They pull like a train lol. Hmm mpg really isnt great tho, £10...30 miles maybe 40 eek! lol

My dad had the car, its still got roof bars on it i think. And handbook in it, do you need them do you?

The 400 was that little bit too long so couldnt have rear seats up with tank in.

So maybe go for a 350 upright, hmm maybe even a flat would fit. Tell you what for work tho it was so comfortable, air con, heaters in back heated front screen lol. My combo doesnt have any of this.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 09:19:44 pm »
Quote" its still got roof bars on it i think. And handbook in it, do you need them do you?  "
Oh yes please have you seen the prices of them on ebay  ::), lets do a deal on at least the handbook, my email is below in my avatar.Cash by paypal.
Cos I will also travel with two eleccy golf trolleys wfp units inside I will just be using it as a van with all rear seats removed, my gawd its bigger inside than out.
Cheers  ;)
oh I used to be retained  8)

LWC

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 09:22:14 pm »
Ill ask my dad Jeff if hes willing to part lol, im only in Oswestry, not too far from you, its LWC if you didnt know.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 09:23:43 pm »
Hi  8) I would snap his hand off !
no didnt know, nobody tells me anything.
M 07970 727 624

LWC

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 09:24:40 pm »
Do you mean the haynes manual?

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 09:26:28 pm »
Any thing really, they dont do a Haynes for the 2001 ?

Craig heres an idea of what it looks like in the Berlingo.

LWC

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 09:34:17 pm »
Just text you  ;) so you used to be retained  :)

CraigBlues

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 11:07:39 pm »

I'm really liking that Jeff, anymore pictures? :-)

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 04:36:05 am »
No, cannot do more as the tanks out for the winter. Next to the roof is a corrugated plastic shelf to rack the poles.
The rear seat back has to be vertical to get the upright tank in, inches count.

GoodFella2006

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 10:04:52 am »
Craig,would you tell us about your hose reel here.

CraigBlues

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 10:35:56 am »
Craig,would you tell us about your hose reel here.

Not my van. Its Jeff's. I was just asking about it.

So Jeff, do you still have the three rear seats up? As I thought about just removing them.

birdymiller

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 10:53:03 am »

Jeff, i see you can open your boot with ladders on. How are your ladders attached to roof bars, do they scratch boot or topple onto your bonnet if you are not careful. I am looking at getting a new motor for work as my 205 van is not big enough now i have a backpack again. Been looking at a estate car with a boot that opens like yours, but not sure if i will be able to get into boot without taking ladders off. Looked at freelanders with doors that open to the side, but dont want to go down the 4x4 economy route again with all the stop and start.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 11:00:37 am »
Look carefully and you will see its all down to the front rail of the roofrack (3 crosss rails)look at the upside down ubolts,  this third rail supports the ladders forward over the cab and allows you to have the bulk of the double 12 rung ladders behind it so that they cannot tilt forward - unless its a double sixteen rung.I now use a B&Q ladder hook on the middle section (pair are approx £25) to bolt the ladders on instead of my local temporary bungee elastic. Hope this helps.

birdymiller

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 11:20:15 am »
cheers jeff, your setup looks sorted

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 02:57:24 pm »
ha ha better not show you this early example before I started fitting tanks in, it sorted of evolved from this and  yes the transit chair is a send up as my hands couldnt reach the steering column  ;D

LWC

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 01:01:21 pm »
Are you thinking about the seats with an mpv mate? I have a combo van with 5 seats, the seats fold down flat, im just in process of chaging system around so i can have the seats up.

Needs a bit more tidying and ive got chequer plating to cover up the wood, will look tidy when its done and ive now got a 5 seater van for family and work  ;)

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2011, 03:17:10 pm »
What size tank ?

LWC

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 03:20:18 pm »

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2011, 03:54:42 pm »
 8) 8) 8)

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2011, 02:29:00 pm »
To the O.P. be careful if you are intending to have your mpv signwritten your insurance may be invalid and worse have a nightmare even getting insurance. have a read of my recent issue.

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=143665.0
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

CraigBlues

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2012, 09:44:03 am »
Well after seeing the difference between price for van and mpv. Belingo I'm talking about. Payload is the same, plus a bonus of 3 extra seats if arranged correctly.

Think a nice Belingo multispace for me. :-)

Anyone else got a pic, I like seeing how everyone has their van/mpv setup.

bobby p

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2012, 09:53:30 am »
To the O.P. be careful if you are intending to have your mpv signwritten your insurance may be invalid and worse have a nightmare even getting insurance. have a read of my recent issue.

who did ur writing Dan? im on the lookout for a 2nd van at the mo,if you happen to see an old style navy partner van for sale on your travels giv me the nod . best wishes to you

CraigBlues

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2012, 12:01:12 pm »
Bobby, If you ever want sign writing drop me a bell. :-)

I'm not thinking about seats really, they are a bonus but insurance is cheaper on my multicar policy. :-) every penny counts.

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2012, 04:42:14 pm »

who did ur writing Dan? im on the lookout for a 2nd van at the mo,if you happen to see an old style navy partner van for sale on your travels giv me the nod . best wishes to you

I have a friend who does it he will design for you your requirements, cut the kit and then come fit it at a place conveniant to you i.e. outside your house  :) Yes Bobby I will keep my eye open for you regarding the van. Dan
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2012, 05:12:36 pm »
notice jeff that you have threaded the pole hose through the back window clever lad ;D

kevinc

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2012, 05:40:27 pm »
jeff,what poles are you using at the mo?as an everyday pole i'm looking at a browning as i keep breaking beastmasts(4 last year :o :o)just wondered if you use something a bit stronger?

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2012, 08:54:52 pm »
Kev which sections are breaking approx ? I still like using the F16, but any pole with a thickness of 1.2mm will break.

CraigBlues

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2012, 10:30:13 am »
I'm back to the MPV idea, really need to make a decision now...

birdymiller

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2012, 02:47:41 pm »
Are you thinking about the seats with an mpv mate? I have a combo van with 5 seats, the seats fold down flat, im just in process of chaging system around so i can have the seats up.

Needs a bit more tidying and ive got chequer plating to cover up the wood, will look tidy when its done and ive now got a 5 seater van for family and work  ;)

Are the seats in the back legal and on logbook or do you just inform insurance that it has 5 seats?