Tosh
« on: June 05, 2011, 10:12:18 pm »
Send me an e-mail neilj96@ntlworld.com as I can't find your contact details.
need to know if someone working the Caerwent area is ligit (for family reasons)

rz

Re: Tosh
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 10:53:10 pm »
we do a few in caerwent so if it us were sort of ligit ;D

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 10:57:18 pm »
And your business name?

rz

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 10:59:14 pm »
rise and shine.

is it me?

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 11:00:42 pm »
No.
Thanks

Ron Rogers

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 12:48:11 am »
We also do a few in caerwent .

Tom White

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 08:44:51 am »
You have mail, though I only have two in Caewent, and don't know any other window cleaners there.

There's another Squeaky Clean (not Roger) leafleting the world with silly rock bottom prices on the back of his flyer (and he's a member here judging by the wording on them), but he seems legitimate enough.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 03:39:12 pm »
I don't know if Tosh is legitimate ...  ;D
It's a game of three halves!

Tom White

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 04:35:32 pm »
I don't know if Tosh is legitimate ...  ;D

Just, mate, just.  I think they married in July and I was born in November (26th November, Thanksgiving day in the US - I share a birthday with Bill W, co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous - which I think is great).

Tom White

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 04:41:09 pm »
Neil wanted to know if a window cleaner was legit because his prices were so low and he is cleaning an elderly relatives of his windows.  I don't know the window cleaner, but I've seen his leaflet; he's done a big marketting campaign; leaflets everywhere with his pricing structure on the reverse.

The window cleaner must use this forum, or 'a window cleaner forum' because I recognise the wording on the leaflet explaining the WFP system; he's copied if from a letter David of St Ives drafted some years ago.

I reckon the guy is legitimate, just new, inexperienced, and has really went in cheap, giving ridiculously high discounts for the first two cleans, followed by low prices fixed for two years.

The guy is making a rod for his own back because he won't make a decent living with those prices he's charging.

Other than his prices, going from the standard of his leaflet, (which can only tell me so much), the guy has got a brain somewhere, but needs to re-adjust his prices.

Take note, if you read this post!  ;D

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 09:46:25 pm »
Neil wanted to know if a window cleaner was legit because his prices were so low and he is cleaning an elderly relatives of his windows. 

As much as I'm not happy about her changing what I believe was a reliable window cleaner just because of the price, (I'd have thought she'd have known my thoughts on that over the years), equally I don't want her conned by some scheme that appears too good to be true.

Tell you what...he's in for a shock when he get's to my mother's partners place in the same street, as for £7.50 he's got to do a detached property with garage doors coverted into large panes of glass plus conservatory on the back. He'll be lucky to get that one done in at least 40 minutes.

Tom White

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 10:27:01 pm »
Tell you what...he's in for a shock when he get's to my mother's partners place in the same street, as for £7.50 he's got to do a detached property with garage doors coverted into large panes of glass plus conservatory on the back. He'll be lucky to get that one done in at least 40 minutes.

I wish I could be there to watch him turn up and see the place.  ;D

laddermonkee

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 11:49:54 am »
Undercutters should be put against a wall and shot.
'Ladders isn't a shiner he's between jobs'

Tom White

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 11:56:52 am »

Along with everyone else you don't like!  ;D

Just joking, ladders.  You just know this guy is going to graft his danglies off for a pittance, jack it all in, and then the next window cleaner who comes to quote could be viewed as a rip-off merchant since her last window cleaner was only £7.50.

If I can be bothered, I may post up his pricing structure, for your perusal.  It's just plain daft.

Pope vader

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 12:12:16 pm »
go on tosh

but before every one has a good a the lad,   the are a few on here who would undercut any one and every one just to get a job  and just call it business

elite mike

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 12:15:49 pm »

Along with everyone else you don't like!  ;D

Just joking, ladders.  You just know this guy is going to graft his danglies off for a pittance, jack it all in, and then the next window cleaner who comes to quote could be viewed as a rip-off merchant since her last window cleaner was only £7.50.

If I can be bothered, I may post up his pricing structure, for your perusal.  It's just plain daft.

go on tosh give us all a laugh

might be someone  i know  ;)

George Gardner

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 03:00:11 pm »
Undercutters generally dont last.

We are due to have a hot summer, and everyone thinks there are a window cleaner now. Flash in the pan stuff I wouldnt worry.

Why undercut if you dont need to? Probably because you need too, as your work is poo.

There is a actually a very clever economic factor here which someone far "cleverer" than me should explain, but the simple basis of it is it drives down prices. So as we all know, charge more and work less  ;D

Bloody undercutters.

Damn my soap box is dirty, id better get off and clean it

Llaaww

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 04:17:06 pm »
undercutting on price will also lead you into doing business with people who are willing to take the cheapest service on offer.

That customer will not be reliable, nor will they grow into a well settled bomb proof earner over the years to come. They will simply tell you to naff off when the next bloke turns up with a cheaper price.

The clearest examples of price undercutting and its damage to the industry are the national brands.

In every town up and down the country there are snotters, puke, bird turds and grime covering almost all of the big name retail outlets. That isn't because the they are not paying for window cleaning, it is because they are not being washed by the people who are supposed to be doing it.

Why are they not being washed??????

Because the companies that should be washing them have put in such a stupidly low price for them that they can't really afford to send a van out 75 miles there and back to wash one bank, so they simply dont bother to go there at all. But of course they still find the time to post a bill.

So people like me, who like to see whole sections of high street looking spic and span get really naffed off looking at snot ridden retail chains, knowing that somebody somewhere is cashing in on money for nothing, as well as making the industry look bad.

so basically undercutting is not good for anything really, though for people on the back foot it is a quick revenue generator.

if it is dirty it is fair game

TomCrowther

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 04:36:48 pm »
LLaaww is spot on.
This guy may get a lot of customers quickly and even have a plan to then employ and send guys out at £7 an hour to do the work. But if your marketing is based on pile em high and sell em cheap, it only works until some new guy comes along doing it cheaper. The customers have already shown their lack of loyalty and will do it again.
There are two guys near me knocking offering £4 a house. One can't speak english for a start and they are aggresive when told no thanks. Tossers.

Tom White

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 04:58:43 pm »
This is on the reverse of his flyer; make of it what you will:

I won't print the other side; I prefer to keep the guys details anonymous.  Maybe he can learn from some of this post?  But it's unfair to slate a window cleaner who is probably just new to the game, rather than being purely malicious; because he's probably going to do more harm to his new business than he is to anyone else's; IMO.