How many houses richard? I will make you a offer

Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

Perfect Windows

Re: £100 worth of work
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 04:14:04 pm »
While this is in Grimsby, so has no direct effect on me, I'll just point out that I love other windys who find it too much hassle to give their customers what they want.  This is one of the last bastions of "I'm all right Jack" and it generates so much business for me.  I simply thrive on the enormous hassle of sending out texts to all my customers the night before I visit.  It uses up a massive minute or two of my time every single evening.

I simply ask all other windys in Southampton to keep on refusing to call your customers; I have plenty of customers whose gripe with their last guy was "I never knew when he was coming; I'd just get woken up/see them at the top of their ladder/come home to a slip and realise I'd not left the gate open".

Keep all your difficult customers coming to me.

Vin

Paul Coleman

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 04:19:20 pm »
Not notifying customers is all well and good and in an ideal world my round would be made up of these people , however by doing this what you are effectively doing is cutting your potential customer base in half (possibly more depending on the area) as a previous poster has said people are security conscious in this day and age and lots of people lock their gates , simple solution is text them the day before i do this because i have to as my aim is to have a BIG window cleaning firm and it does not make business sense for me to turn my back on LOTS of good custies. I have done this from the start and i dont notify customers for the sake of it but only for access issues. I agree that voice calls can be a PITA so a tip is for custies that dont have a mobile to text the landline and if they have a voicemail (which nearly all do) then an automated message will be left on their voicemail. No Problem , though if you want a stress and hassle free round that you may or may not fill then that is up to you. Though IMO the idea of having to turn your back on a good custie because they lock their gate is nuts ??? ;D

Hi Matt  ;D
I take your point Matt and I have been a little easier on this issue recently.  However, if the messing about starts then it really does become unviable.
I think the big difference between our situations in this regard is doing all the window cleaning yourself vs. paying people to do it and making a profit.  As you know, when you do it all yourself (i.e. as a sole trader) then any messing about has a much larger effect on the cleaner's income.  Not only is it money not earned but it is also a loss of time that could have been better spent servicing another, more reliable customer.  However, when you perhaps, subcontract work out, you don't suffer the fallout of unreliable customers in the same way because although a bit less profit may be made, it doesn't directly impact on the time issue.  Also, I imagine that there is more merit in keeping a customer when a canvasser has been paid for getting the job.  I do indeed have some good customers who need to be texted/phoned first but for the reasons that I outlined, I don't have too many of them.  I don't actually turn a job down these days due to such an access issue but I will drop such a job more quickly if the messing about starts.  Also, if I see a probable access issue like this, it does add to the price.  However, one thing I am pretty insistent on is that I will only do days, not times  i.e. if it's a case of "only clean when I'm home" this will not be done unless (a) it's a decent sized job with a decent sized price and (b) there is no problem with doing it as first clean of the day with a reasonably early start time.

Nothing wrong with either way of working but I think a sole trader maybe needs to work to a different business model from an employer/contractor.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 04:24:37 pm »
yes indeed if you turn your back on a customer who needs contacting then you are turning your back on a potential custy
and on unnecessary aggro and hassle

it is extra hassle sure but it all depends what you are looking for
yup, if your after hassle its a good start

if it is a hassle free round then thats you are happy to plod round when and if it suits you
hassle free yes as for the second comment, what??  ;D how does plodding around come into it?

then fine but if like me you are looking to have a proper business that is growing and no reason to turn down extra decent revenue then you have to add abit of hassle to your round now and again.
Im not suggesting your not trying to grow a proper business, however suggesting because others arent prepared to tolerate potentially problematic customers aren't trying to build a proper business is just silly. Good luck.

Saying that mate, I guess as you have an alterior motive, i.e. trying to sell this work; I can understand your viewpoint.

Er.  I don't think so somehow  ;D
The work is in Grimsby, Lincs and Matt3 is in Surrey  ;D .

Paul Coleman

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 04:29:58 pm »
While this is in Grimsby, so has no direct effect on me, I'll just point out that I love other windys who find it too much hassle to give their customers what they want.  This is one of the last bastions of "I'm all right Jack" and it generates so much business for me.  I simply thrive on the enormous hassle of sending out texts to all my customers the night before I visit.  It uses up a massive minute or two of my time every single evening.

I simply ask all other windys in Southampton to keep on refusing to call your customers; I have plenty of customers whose gripe with their last guy was "I never knew when he was coming; I'd just get woken up/see them at the top of their ladder/come home to a slip and realise I'd not left the gate open".

Keep all your difficult customers coming to me.

Vin

Just wondering though how it might be if you had a pretty full round of jobs with no real access problems and a few customers wanted to be pre-notified and kept messing you about.
I've nothing against me pre-notifying BTW so long as the custie keeps their word and so long as the number of customers who require this are kept down to a level that doesn't affect the viability of my business.
I suppose a simpler question would be that if you were 20 customers short of a full round, would you take the 20 who wanted to be pre-notified or the 20 who don't?

Perfect Windows

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 04:40:08 pm »
Just wondering though how it might be if you had a pretty full round of jobs with no real access problems and a few customers wanted to be pre-notified and kept messing you about.
I've nothing against me pre-notifying BTW so long as the custie keeps their word and so long as the number of customers who require this are kept down to a level that doesn't affect the viability of my business.
I suppose a simpler question would be that if you were 20 customers short of a full round, would you take the 20 who wanted to be pre-notified or the 20 who don't?

I think the biggest problem with the antediluvian opinions on this thread is the belief that someone who you notify is, by definition, a "messer".  However, someone who does turn out to be a messer I will deal with (regardless of whether they needed notification).

As regards your final question, all of my customers are pre-notified every time I visit, so I wouldn't care if a customer needed it.

Vin

Richard BF

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 04:46:50 pm »
If Dave wants the others then its

£83 X2 £166

Ill take £150 cash.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 04:53:12 pm »

I think the biggest problem with the antediluvian opinions on this thread is the belief that someone who you notify is, by definition, a "messer".  However, someone who does turn out to be a messer I will deal with (regardless of whether they needed notification).

As regards your final question, all of my customers are pre-notified every time I visit, so I wouldn't care if a customer needed it.

Vin

Not at all.
However, my own experience is that a customer who requires pre-notification is more likely to mess about than one who doesn't.  Your experience may be different.
Pre-notifying everyone, whether needed or not, sounds like making unnecessary work for yourself.  If you don't mind that then good luck to you.
I think what put me off this over the years was when I first started window cleaning, a lot of customers messed me about for quite a long while.
The problem may have lain with me.  It's possible that I may have given off the signals that I was a soft touch - and people picked up on that.  These days I know my general self esteem is much better than it was 20 years ago - maybe why I seem to pick up a higher percentage of decent customers.
Anyway, no more posting for me for a while.  I'm off out in a minute.

Richard BF

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 04:54:08 pm »
Theyre also all within 5 minutes walking of eachoter aswell.

H S and Son

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 04:54:41 pm »
yes indeed if you turn your back on a customer who needs contacting then you are turning your back on a potential custy
and on unnecessary aggro and hassle

it is extra hassle sure but it all depends what you are looking for
yup, if your after hassle its a good start

if it is a hassle free round then thats you are happy to plod round when and if it suits you
hassle free yes as for the second comment, what??  ;D how does plodding around come into it?

then fine but if like me you are looking to have a proper business that is growing and no reason to turn down extra decent revenue then you have to add abit of hassle to your round now and again.
Im not suggesting your not trying to grow a proper business, however suggesting because others arent prepared to tolerate potentially problematic customers aren't trying to build a proper business is just silly. Good luck.

Saying that mate, I guess as you have an alterior motive, i.e. trying to sell this work; I can understand your viewpoint.

Er.  I don't think so somehow  ;D
The work is in Grimsby, Lincs and Matt3 is in Surrey  ;D .

Your right, about the alterior motive, I mis-reaed the page.

windiewasher

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 05:46:45 pm »
Give you hundred.
Are you still canvassing for him?
If Dave wants the others then its

£83 X2 £166

Ill take £150 cash.
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

dazmond

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 06:20:48 pm »
ive just phoned a customer( a big church!)its booked in for 9am friday morning.its takes just less than 2 hours from pulling up to driving away for £80.its only a 6 monthly though but still worth it.then ill be finishing off any domestic i have left to do that ive planned to clean this week but none of the others will be pre notified.theyll be expecting me though as its work on a big estate.they will have seen me over the last few days!! ;D ;D ;D

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

Crystal-clear

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 12:14:39 am »
Matt its good how you are thinking but i fear that notifying more then %10 of your work may slow your growth down if its working for you honestly thats great, its true i too have a few who really corporate but even they sometimes say , ah im away this weekend they refuse the front,

imagine if my whole days work for text before in peak season and 5 out of 10 say im on holiday skip me , this is why i make sure 90% is no notify much better making the front value then no value all it means you will need more customers to make up for the loss of income.

hope it all works out with selling those customers they could be good customers you just never know till you get the 1st two cleans out the way! 

Rogue Trader

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 07:21:16 am »
Im a buyer not a seller ;)

bobby p

Re: £100 worth of work New
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2011, 07:44:13 am »
im okay to hurdle the gate as a rule. but ive one job where i use triple ladders and thats becoming a bugbear , getting the beasts  over the locked gate . next time i go im going to look at whether itll lift off its hinges . its a newish metal gate,not rotten wood . maybe use a pole to act as a fulcrum under the gate ?