Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Richard BF

£100 worth of work
« on: March 21, 2011, 03:23:38 pm »
Hi guys

ive canvassed for just over £100 worth of work for a local wc in Grimsby , mainly terraces with one or two semis priced at £7-£14.50 , the current wc doestnt want the work as the gates have been locked - although i have a contact number for which  to ring and arrange a day for the gate to be left unlocked.

Anybody who covers grimsby want it  ?

SteX13

Re: £100 worth of work
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 03:29:11 pm »
Hi mate.

That sucks, you still canvassing for him?

Also list the price so people know what your wanting  ;)

drevitt

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 05:01:53 pm »
why would current w/c not just ring to get gate unlocked???? i do loads in grimsby how much you looking for it?

Perfect Windows

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 05:04:35 pm »
why would current w/c not just ring to get gate unlocked???? i do loads in grimsby how much you looking for it?

There are dozens of threads on here where you'll get neanderthals telling you that phoning a customer is something that must NEVER be done as it'll make you the customer's bitch.  Perhaps the guy read too many of those threads...

Vin

Richard BF

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 07:20:55 pm »
why wouldnt you phone the customer ?

they all asked to be phoned prior to having their windows cleaned so that they can leave the gate open on the day.

im looking at £200 for the wook X2 the rate.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 08:02:09 pm »

they all asked to be phoned prior to having their windows cleaned so that they can leave the gate open on the day.

I will phone/text for a gate to be left unlocked but I avoid it as much as possible.
I suppose what it comes down to is;  Would you rather have a round where you rarely have to pre-arrange or a round where you have to do it most of the time?

Things that have happened when pre-arranging

1) They "forget" to leave the gate unlocked  ("forget" being an excuse because they didn't want them done this time).

2) They are on holiday.  It's peak holiday season and half the customers are away. Your daily income is £80 down on what you expected.  You can't go to the next batch of work that you were planning to do the next day because they mostly need to be phoned too and there won't be any access.

3) You phone.  There is no answer.  They do not have a voicemail service.  You have to spend the evening remembering to phone them back again.  About 9 PM someone finally picks up the phone and says "Oh.  Can you leave them this time please?"  You feel like telling them to go forth and multiply but of course, you don't.

4)  You phone (landline) and leave a message on the voicemail requesting access the next day.  You turn up, it's a job on its own a bit away from the rest so you've put yourself out a fair bit.  No access.  It eventually transpires that they didn't get the message till too late.  This is because you often only become aware of the message when you pickup the phone due to the only warning being the intermittent dial tone.

5)  You have pre-arranged a number of jobs and start doing the day's work.  Part way through you start feeling totally knackered and really feel as if you need a very early finish.  You can't though because you've promised to turn up and even though you feel a bit rough, you still have to do the work.

6)  You start full of beans and fly through the work.  At the end of all the pre-arranged work you feel as if you would like to get another 3 or 4 houses in.  You can't though because the next work in your schedule also has to be pre-arranged.

Sound familiar to anyone else?
I didn't make it up.  All the above have happened.
On my own round I can filter it so that very little needs to be pre-arranged.  I will do it but with some reluctance and very sparingly.
I'm not a dinosaur either.  I just believe that the business is mine to build into my life in the most convenient way that I am able.  As soon as I relinquish control of a big part of my business to the customers, it becomes far more difficult to run.  It also becomes much less cost effective.
I spent too many years in factories etc. having to do what I was told.  I don't intend to do the same while self-employed.
Has anyone seen my soap box?  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 08:11:43 pm »
got to say thats POST OF THE WEEK(although its only monday!!! ;D ;D ;D)

i couldnt of put it better myself paul!!pre arranging all your work is foolish IMO.

I HAVE A FEW BUT ITS ONLY A FEW BECAUSE OF THE ABOVE REASONS!!! ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

H S and Son

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 08:21:10 pm »
Definately post of the week.

Clearly and concisely written, nice one. You can't misunderstand that.

I guess maybe the guy in Grimsby has read on here about calling the night before and has come to the correct conclusion: he doesnt want to be anyone's 'bitch'.

SteX13

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 09:26:09 pm »
Fair points but surely its still a bit unfair to have a canvasser and turn down work he generates because of this?

Whats wrong with popping your hand over to unlock? Or even using the step ladder in the back of your van to climb over?

Inconvenience and £100 worth of work a month (if its monthly) is better than not having the extra £100. Its clear the guy needs it or he wouldn't hire Richard?

::)

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 09:49:41 pm »
stex
The canvasser will have been told do not knock bad access, do not knock bad access, do not knock bad access

Of course it easier to get these customers because no one wants them. Some one on here may take the jobs, but i would be amazed if anyone paid for them.

chopsie

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 10:09:25 pm »
Gates locked is no big problem for me, I have quite a few i have to text the evening before so they can leave gate unlocked, its the way the world is now, would you leave your front door unlocked? People have some expensive stuff in their back gardens.
I have a computer programme to send texts, just tick who you want to send to and it sends them all a pre saved message, takes a minute  to do a whole round if needed. www.txtlocal.co.uk
If they forget or intentionally leave gate locked i do the fronts a 2/3 to 3/4 of the full rate (they rarely forget again!!) as I have fulfilled my end of the agreement and have travelled especially to do the job.
chopsie

Crystal-clear

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 12:03:26 am »

I will phone/text for a gate to be left unlocked but I avoid it as much as possible.
I suppose what it comes down to is;  Would you rather have a round where you rarely have to pre-arrange or a round where you have to do it most of the time?

Things that have happened when pre-arranging

1) They "forget" to leave the gate unlocked  ("forget" being an excuse because they didn't want them done this time).

2) They are on holiday.  It's peak holiday season and half the customers are away. Your daily income is £80 down on what you expected.  You can't go to the next batch of work that you were planning to do the next day because they mostly need to be phoned too and there won't be any access.

3) You phone.  There is no answer.  They do not have a voicemail service.  You have to spend the evening remembering to phone them back again.  About 9 PM someone finally picks up the phone and says "Oh.  Can you leave them this time please?"  You feel like telling them to go forth and multiply but of course, you don't.

4)  You phone (landline) and leave a message on the voicemail requesting access the next day.  You turn up, it's a job on its own a bit away from the rest so you've put yourself out a fair bit.  No access.  It eventually transpires that they didn't get the message till too late.  This is because you often only become aware of the message when you pickup the phone due to the only warning being the intermittent dial tone.

5)  You have pre-arranged a number of jobs and start doing the day's work.  Part way through you start feeling totally knackered and really feel as if you need a very early finish.  You can't though because you've promised to turn up and even though you feel a bit rough, you still have to do the work.

6)  You start full of beans and fly through the work.  At the end of all the pre-arranged work you feel as if you would like to get another 3 or 4 houses in.  You can't though because the next work in your schedule also has to be pre-arranged.

Sound familiar to anyone else?
I didn't make it up.  All the above have happened.
On my own round I can filter it so that very little needs to be pre-arranged.  I will do it but with some reluctance and very sparingly.
I'm not a dinosaur either.  I just believe that the business is mine to build into my life in the most convenient way that I am able.  As soon as I relinquish control of a big part of my business to the customers, it becomes far more difficult to run.  It also becomes much less cost effective.
I spent too many years in factories etc. having to do what I was told.  I don't intend to do the same while self-employed.
Has anyone seen my soap box?  ;D

Post of the week i with you all the way .

Imo ANY notification work is worthless to me personally i would never dare buy anything of the sort.

some window cleaners will pay and take it but for alot of us the pains of these sort of customers are listed above and they aint exaggerated

what paul coleman is saying is so true.
i only have very few and i hope never to get anymore

Richard if you are offering some sort of guarantee on these watch out i bet you any money 50% may mess about thus you could owe the new windy a customer or 2,

windiewasher

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 12:17:55 am »
if its where im thinking m8,its a nightmare,got locked in one of them streets,somebody decided to lock the communal gate!
Hi guys

ive canvassed for just over £100 worth of work for a local wc in Grimsby , mainly terraces with one or two semis priced at £7-£14.50 , the current wc doestnt want the work as the gates have been locked - although i have a contact number for which  to ring and arrange a day for the gate to be left unlocked.

Anybody who covers grimsby want it  ?
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 07:16:47 am »

Imo ANY notification work is worthless to me personally i would never dare buy anything of the sort.

some window cleaners will pay and take it but for alot of us the pains of these sort of customers are listed above and they aint exaggerated

what paul coleman is saying is so true.
i only have very few and i hope never to get anymore

Richard if you are offering some sort of guarantee on these watch out i bet you any money 50% may mess about thus you could owe the new windy a customer or 2,

Although I have a few perfectly OK customers who do need to be pre-notified, generally, customers who require this type of service do tend to mess around more.  There are exceptions though and I work for some of them.  Having very few customers who require this is also a big plus because if a rare glitch does happen, it is possible to go to other jobs in the area to fill the time.  This is because the substitute customers do not need to be pre-notified.  Another reason I have very few like this is because, if they start messing about, they get dropped.  This isn't spite on my part.  It's a business decision.  It may only take a relatively small proportion of messer abouters to drag a business down - especially if already needing to price tightly anyway.

Rogue Trader

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 08:17:54 am »
Not notifying customers is all well and good and in an ideal world my round would be made up of these people , however by doing this what you are effectively doing is cutting your potential customer base in half (possibly more depending on the area) as a previous poster has said people are security conscious in this day and age and lots of people lock their gates , simple solution is text them the day before i do this because i have to as my aim is to have a BIG window cleaning firm and it does not make business sense for me to turn my back on LOTS of good custies. I have done this from the start and i dont notify customers for the sake of it but only for access issues. I agree that voice calls can be a PITA so a tip is for custies that dont have a mobile to text the landline and if they have a voicemail (which nearly all do) then an automated message will be left on their voicemail. No Problem , though if you want a stress and hassle free round that you may or may not fill then that is up to you. Though IMO the idea of having to turn your back on a good custie because they lock their gate is nuts ??? ;D

H S and Son

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 09:27:03 am »
Thats an odd assumption to make, i.e. that half of gates are padlocked and the other half aren't. Because that simply isnt the case.

When I price up a new domestic I always make a point of enquiring about the gate and accesibility to the rear of the property. If its just latched and or bolted, no problem; if its padlocked they have to supply a key and generally do. Those that dont I assume dont fulfill my customer profile.

I dont think anyone is suggesting you should turn your back on a customer because they lock their gate, I think you're oversimplifying the case. Some here, turn their back on a customer because they require you to contact them the night before.

Hassle-free is preferable.

Rogue Trader

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 10:11:07 am »
yes indeed if you turn your back on a customer who needs contacting then you are turning your back on a potential custy , it is extra hassle sure but it all depends what you are looking for , if it is a hassle free round then thats you are happy to plod round when and if it suits you then fine but if like me you are looking to have a proper business that is growing and no reason to turn down extra decent revenue then you have to add abit of hassle to your round now and again.

Richard BF

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 01:39:41 pm »
Well it worked getting the numbers dor Kev Dr Windows  he rang them arranged a date never had a problem infact a few comments were made about me being polite etc etc...

DEFINATLEY doesnt make you the customers bitch at all , its one phonecall to arrange a date for the first clean - when you collect the money just a simple can you leave it open next month aswell  , with this day and age and phone contracts and the like its not exactly  "costing" you to send a quick text or leave a voicemail "hi ill be cleaining your windows today can you leave the gate unlocked please"

Im just simply trying to sell some work that a current window cleaner doesnt want at the request of the customers  "can you ring and let me know when you will be coming so i can leave the gate unlocked".

H S and Son

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 01:49:03 pm »
yes indeed if you turn your back on a customer who needs contacting then you are turning your back on a potential custy
and on unnecessary aggro and hassle

it is extra hassle sure but it all depends what you are looking for
yup, if your after hassle its a good start

if it is a hassle free round then thats you are happy to plod round when and if it suits you
hassle free yes as for the second comment, what??  ;D how does plodding around come into it?

then fine but if like me you are looking to have a proper business that is growing and no reason to turn down extra decent revenue then you have to add abit of hassle to your round now and again.
Im not suggesting your not trying to grow a proper business, however suggesting because others arent prepared to tolerate potentially problematic customers aren't trying to build a proper business is just silly. Good luck.

Saying that mate, I guess as you have an alterior motive, i.e. trying to sell this work; I can understand your viewpoint.

Rogue Trader

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 03:57:53 pm »
 ???