gavin pedley

Cleaning insides
« on: September 08, 2010, 03:09:23 pm »
How do you do it? with squeege etc.

I have been asked to price a job including insides but i am still struggling to get to grips with squeege. Still getting dirt smears almmost like a streaky haze when looking at the windows in certain lights. i have used new rubber and unger liquide can anyone help me with this, just can't get to grips with it.

What can i do with job i havew to quote tomorrow, say i can not do insides?

bobby p

Re: Cleaning insides
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 03:19:30 pm »
In  my opinion, the insides are the Absolute Cream.  if only all my round had me doing the insides every time id be Raking it in

i use a wagtail flipper with a spray bottle on my belt . Spray a couple of squirts on the window,then mop with wagtail and then fan the window as per normal .
  i have a fresh scrim as i step through the door and use the scrim to detail /mop up 

tom2009

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 03:21:20 pm »
Is it the angle to the glass that you are holding the squeege maybe? If you're using a new rubber and squeege off then there's not much else it can be. Price well for insides as they can be right dirty and dried on when you look up close.

Tom

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 03:23:27 pm »
is it a house or pub?

practise on your own windows, try using fairy, i never like the unger stuff

mci services

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 03:30:42 pm »
practice practice and practice some more, use fairy and and when finishing the glass stand back and try looking at the glass and not through it and tidy all your mistakes with a scrim,

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 03:38:24 pm »
i use to practise on the back door, as it was easy to look all around on

gavin pedley

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 03:44:32 pm »
I have been practicing just cant get it right they look ok untill i come back to then a few hours ;ater and can see smears all over them, i don't want to do a bad job on the ladys house so may not do it for now :-[

gewindows

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 03:51:24 pm »
I dont mean to sound pedantic, although it probably does come across that way, but why have you put all that stuff on your website about being professional and guaranteeing a great job etc, with pics of someone in your biz uniform blading a window when you cant clean windows?

You need to practise, practise and practise some more on your own place. If you cant do the job dont try to sell yourself.

andyM

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 04:08:25 pm »
Sounds like you need more practice. I swear by GG3 for trad cleaning, other people may have different opinions but I love it.
As you are just starting off, if you can't get the hang of fanning yet why not just do straight down pulls with the squeegee?
I use a microfibre cloth for detailing but some people prefer scrim, the choice is yours.
One of the Plebs

sgibsoncleaning

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 04:18:57 pm »
if you are getting a haze with unger, its the ratio of the mix that is the problem. are you mixing to what they say. 100/1  i found was too weak with the hard water i have and found 75/1 better. i ditched unger liquid becase of this and moved to glimmer as it is not so fussy.
other than that clean water  and a clean applicator should help

supernova77

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 04:24:44 pm »
Gavin,

A word of warning... Over the last 5 years of window cleaning I have picked up many new customers for the sole reason that the window cleaner they were using couldn't do insides properly, or refused to do them because they couldn't do them.

As has been said just practise practise practise until you get it right, and then practise some more!

Also... I use fairy for trad cleaning - Never had any problems at all  :)

Andy

Rob Smith

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 04:29:50 pm »
You could always use microfibre clothes. One damp and then some dry ones to 'polish' up. Spray a little pure water onto window and wipe away.

deeege

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 04:40:27 pm »
This post just proves that being able to trad IS important.

As already stated, practice practice and the practice some more. Cleaning your own windows at home will not get you up to speed as your customers will have all different shapes and sized windows that will be new to you each time.

Good luck if you do decide to do the job though.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Richard Neal

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 04:44:59 pm »
It must be the angle youve got the sqeegey at ive used all the different detergaents over the years but always come back to fairy as it does the same job! its not the tools mate its your technique! get practasing, when youve done look at the window at an angle so you get the reflection if its dry then its clean, i also prefer scrims to micro cloths but thats probably just my age!
Im not scared of heights, just falling from them.
mrwindowclean@hotmail.co.uk

Richard Neal

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 04:46:18 pm »
shame youre not from round here id have you sorted in 15 mins easy!
Im not scared of heights, just falling from them.
mrwindowclean@hotmail.co.uk

gavin pedley

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 05:52:26 pm »
shame youre not from round here id have you sorted in 15 mins easy!
ye that is ashame will keep at it

taylored

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 06:13:39 pm »
take your time if its not clean do it again :-[ only just started myself as trad, dont try to look good just make sure you do a good job start at the top of window and go down in lines over lap by 1/2 ;D

supernova77

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 06:17:07 pm »
start at the top of window and go down in lines over lap by 1/2 Grin

No, don't just go down in lines... Learn to do it properly... It will save you a lot of time in the long run!

Andy

taylored

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 06:32:17 pm »
he's just started speed will come, better to do a good job every time. 

gavin pedley

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 06:44:36 pm »
I would never go down in lines I will keep at it and try fairy sure I will get it eventually