keen n clean

Canvassing face to face
« on: June 12, 2010, 07:07:01 am »
Hello all,
I am looking for a little advice on door to door sales patter!!!..........my system is to leaflet drop and a couple of days later door knock.......................my speach goes something like this ....sorry to disturb you madam/sir...my name is....(show i.d).......and i recently dropped my flyers through your door re...window cleaning (show flyer).....and i am looking at extending my round,could i interest you in a no obligation quote on your window cleaning.............yes/no/do one/slam door............speaking to self!!!!!..............now i know most people here will say this is fine ,but i am just trying to find different ideas,ways,techniques, etc.................that other people use............as i am turning into a robot!!!!

Andy

bobby p

Re: Canvassing face to face
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 06:35:19 am »
i found if u say "hi ma am " or if its a man "hi chief "  this gets you in better . another thing i say is "just been cleaning round the corner and wondered if you....."  , at the same time gesturing with an outstretched hand at the round the corner previous job. outstretched hand then bends inwards and points at the house as u say "then thought id come along here. "

just say one line and let them answer , dont prattle on ,but unless its a firm "no"  come back with a off the cuff comment about how nice their street/garden is. then they fire back with "it is nice yes" ,you reply im trying to get more work round here to fit in with the round the corner job ,then  look at their face ,if it looks promising ,say "howsabout i give you a price to get these sparkling?" 

most folk love it if you then get cleaning straight away , but the next day or day after is okay . if you notice a neighbour looking over at you be sure to wave and say "alrite chief"  , some are sour beggars who glare and youve no chance with those skinflints but i find the "nice garden/motor  uve got there mate" goes down well . glance up at the windows and dont look impressed at what you see

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 10:10:38 pm »
I just knock and say hi, just wondered if you needed a window cleaner... works for me
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

DC Window Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 12:03:52 pm »
do you need a window cleaner and gie a card

david

pdale

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 11:45:47 am »
I've always found canvassing a peace of cake.

Tell them your expanding your round, rather than starting out. I always found the biggest objection was that they start window cleaners on and they only come a couple of times, so telling them you're already an established window cleaner expanding overcomes that objection.

I tend to say, ' I'm expanding a window cleaning round in the area, would you be interested in having your windows cleaning'. My leaflets also say something to the effect that we are in that street that very week, we have limited spaces available, so it will be on a first come first served basis.. By adding that to the leaflets it gives the customer a 'buy now' attitude, they will not put off ringing you in a couple of weeks if they think that there are only limited spaces.

Paul
Where am I knocking today?

Ian101

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 09:31:51 am »

I tend to say, ' I'm expanding a window cleaning round in the area, would you be interested in having your windows cleaning'. My leaflets also say something to the effect that we are in that street that very week, we have limited spaces available, so it will be on a first come first served basis.. By adding that to the leaflets it gives the customer a 'buy now' attitude, they will not put off ringing you in a couple of weeks if they think that there are only limited spaces.

I like this "call to action" ... I couldn't think of anything to put on mine but will use this ...... when Ive got thru the 5000 Ive got  ::)

Mario Ortega

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 05:40:10 pm »
I've done canvassing for other reasons and I've found the most important thing is to get to the point quickly. Don't say what your name is for instance, as it's irrelevant and just takes up 'suspicion time'.

The customer wants to establish quickly what you're there for. Are you a Jehova witness, are you selling gas and electricity, are you trying to suss if there's anybody home to rob the house?

Once they've have established what you're there for you can see their faces change from "What does this guy want?" to "Ah, I see..." and they visibly relax. You want to get to that 'relax' point quickly.

DMG Window Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 05:51:54 pm »
One of the reasons i get so many customers when canvassing is how many doors i get to knock in the time i have got.

i knock a door and say " sorry to disturb you have you got a window cleaner? " wait for the reply if YES ask
 " are you happy with them ? " If NO " Would you like one? "

Easy - I could tell every customer i see about have fantastic my business and service is but it would be pointless and bore everyone

Danny

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 10:51:26 pm »
i say...

Im a local window cleaner canvassing the area, i wondered if you had one at the moment?

if answer is yes i have a window cleaner (which 9 times out of ten it will be) thank them for there time and try next door!
If they answer no i dont have one, ask if you could interest them in a free quote!

simp.

Londoner

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 08:30:32 am »
The thing is that the ones you are able to "talk into" having you clean their windows are going to lose interest just as quickly when it starts costing them money.

Some people are just susceptable to impulse selling on the door step but in general have short attention spans.

If they are looking for a window cleaner then they are looking for a window cleaner. But if they are not its not likely to work out in the long term.

All this killer sales patter and stuff won't count for anything come January and their  purse is empty. 

greencleaning

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 12:35:07 pm »

Say enough but not too much.
I’ve heard of many sales lost because the seller kept talking after the client decided to buy and then changed their mind as the verbal torrent continued.

Bin Juice

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 10:49:20 am »
Try to be positive , unlike Vince

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 01:54:12 pm »
Definitely be positive. Also, now everything is thawing everything including windows looks a mess. Also, if you do gutters as well now is the time to push gutter cleans as the ice and snow has found the blocked/damaged ones  ;D

Londoner

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 12:14:15 pm »
Try to be positive , unlike Vince

Its not a question of not being positive. If they want a window cleaner then the want one. All this marketing babble about killer techniques on the doorstep is just that babble. The waverers don't last

Deliver leaflets to a road on friday, on Sunday go back and knock. When they open the door say "Good morning/afternoon, I left a leaflet about window cleaning on Friday"  Quick and simple.

alfynokes

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 02:22:07 pm »
I used to do what GB and DMG window cleaning do, but am wary now with all these new no cold calling areas in my area.

L.U.K.E

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 06:37:55 pm »
Ian 101,

I read your posts on canvassing last year.
How many customers do you have now?
How many of these are from you canvassing door to door.

Thanks,

Luke

Taylor & Taylor WC Services

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 08:49:11 pm »
I love canvassing most of the time...I'm on a hike at the minute and set myself a target of £100 a day. 95% of the time I can achieve that depending where I am canvassing? Today I canvassed £122 extra work between 11am and 2pm, a total of 11 houses and only 2 I have to follow up via phone.

It really is simple stuff........you have to give them an enthusiastic and friendly hello to make them comfortable with your presence on their doorstep.

I also don't agree that you shouldn't introduce yourself by your name to save time and avoid boredom. IMO it takes as long as it takes to make the sale and especially if they have agreed to go ahead with your service you don't want to be 'right thanks I'm off now'

keen n clean

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 09:18:03 pm »
Thanks everyone for of the advice ,get to the point quickly,politely,smile and keep on plugging away :) :) :) :) :)

greencleaning

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 12:25:01 pm »
My advice is—and this goes double if you're male and tall, as I am—don't stand close to the door when it opens. Lots of people, especially the eldery and women living alone, don't like it when they open the door and find someone big and threatening there. Stand back, if possible on a lower step, and smile! People are really nice.

hoteth

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 10:52:22 am »
 Don't be too shy either,your not a horse whisperer.Have a shave and dont wear that beani hat. look them in the eyes or eye if the other one is glass as you are speaking.Try to control the speed of your speach. Keep your hands out of your pockets and in front of you. REMEMBER TO LEAVE YOUR BUSSINESS CARD WITH CUSTOMER.That way they can pass your details on to family, friends and any other cleaners in the area .

Roy Cauldery

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 12:33:21 pm »
hi all- new to the forum and this caught my eye whilst having a trawl round at the topics

Canvassing is great!Its the best part of the business - you get to meet people who have a definite need of your services-where else can you go out and generate £000's of work just by door knocking?

I never canvass in the evenings-people are too drained with busy lives and your the last person they want to see at the end of a day - between 10.00 - 16.00 is best for me because the women are home and as we all know they make the choices when it comes to the home.
Introduce yourself , ask if they have a cleaner and take it from there...as per previous comments , be clean shaven,clean clothes (with a company logo perhaps) smile and always leave a card even if they say no-you never know,their regular guy just might hack them off one day.
If there is a slight interest,take a number and say youll give them a follow up call in a couple of days after they have talked to partners etc..
Its a doddle, and with a bit of practice youll get a good patter and be more confident on the door step.If you project a good positive image of a guy who is sincere,hardworking and willing to go after new work ,you will win loads
Even if im not in the mood for door knocking - I always try and do about 4 hours per week leafleting , even in areas where we are really strong.People are not always home but you would be amazed at how long they will keep a good flyer on the fridge/next to the telephone for

Any way - hope that helps.Good luck
 :)Roy
www.phoenixecs.co.uk
we succeed because others can't or won't