NWH

Re: fan jets
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2008, 06:08:30 pm »
I have no problems with hydrophobic glass with pencils,all you need to do is use a bit more water.

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2008, 06:10:35 pm »
Didnt think you would  ;)

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2008, 09:38:20 pm »
Hydrophobic glass with pencils I leave the brush on glass, no problems.

With fan jets it looks like you're covering the glass nicely when rinsing, but if you don't use enough water it dries terrible. Also because fan jets spray the water, it goes everywhere including where it's not intended, especially if it's windy.

I've tried both types of jets several times.

Personally, I like to leave the brush on the glass whilst rinsing so there is no benefit to using fan jets for me and rinsing with the brush off the glass.

People say if you can't use fan jets you must be a lousy wfp user. A bad workman blames their tools ;D

There is a knack to making the water sheet easier with the brush off the glass whilst rinsing on hydrophic glass, if you haven't figured it out yet then there's something else to keep you intrigued. ;D

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2008, 10:21:01 pm »

There is a knack to making the water sheet easier with the brush off the glass whilst rinsing on hydrophic glass, if you haven't figured it out yet then there's something else to keep you intrigued. ;D

Flip the brush-head round

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2008, 02:09:24 pm »
That's one way, but there is an easier way ;D

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2008, 08:24:42 am »
I`ve come to the conclusion that there to messy and only work on certain windows,pencil jets however work on all windows.

And I've come to precisely the opposite opinion.

I've found that pencil jets work fine on hydrophilic glass but not so well on hydrophobic glass.

I would contend that it's fan jets that work with all windows.

That's not to say that you CAN'T rinse well using pencil jets. I'm simply saying that it's trickier and slower.

And here's a video to back up my opinion:

www.wally-the-window-washer.co.uk/glasses.wmv

But having said all that, I guess that it's still up to the operator to know and use his tools

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008, 10:45:02 am »
To back up what Wally is saying.  Have a look at the very start of the third clip, and watch how the water is coming out the brush and hitting the glass.  See how the water is not getting to the edges of the glass.  Now if you want to take longer, and work harder, by taking the brush off the glass to do a final rinse, then it may not make much difference what jets you have.  Now take a look at the start of the forth clip and see how the water is covering the whole length of the brush, which means you don't have to lift the brush to angle the water into the edges.

So if you rinse with the brush on the glass then fans have to be better.

Peter Fogwill
www.window-tools.com

LWC

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 06:02:02 pm »
what setting do you have your fans on wally?

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 10:58:37 pm »
what setting do you have your fans on wally?

It's a 100psi shurflo  with 30m of 6mm reinforced hose and a varistream digital set on either 1 or 2 depending on how fast I want to work.

If I'm feeling leisurely, it's set on 1. If I want to get the jobs done faster, I set it on 2 and the water fairly blasts out.

Setting 1 is about 1.1 litres per min. Setting 2 is, I'm guessing here,  about 2.0 litres per min.

I think the flow rate depends on various factors.

LWC

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2008, 11:08:35 pm »
i had mne going on 6 today  ;D

shoulda seen it lol

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2008, 11:19:18 pm »
To back up what Wally is saying.  Have a look at the very start of the third clip, and watch how the water is coming out the brush and hitting the glass.  See how the water is not getting to the edges of the glass.  Now if you want to take longer, and work harder, by taking the brush off the glass to do a final rinse, then it may not make much difference what jets you have.  Now take a look at the start of the forth clip and see how the water is covering the whole length of the brush, which means you don't have to lift the brush to angle the water into the edges.

So if you rinse with the brush on the glass then fans have to be better.

Peter Fogwill
www.window-tools.com

Nice vids Wally.
On Wallie's clips he lifts his brush off to rinse on all his clips (including the 4th one).
I rinse with brush on so having fan jets fitted isn't going to make a blind bit of difference unless I lift my brush off. Why on earth would I want to lift my brush off to rinse, especially at height unless in the long term I want to put my back out or unless I have a flocked brush head fitted to my pole. I nearly always use Tuckers mono filament brushes which don't trap any dirt whatsoever in comparison to any other brush on the market.
If you start off with the right tools and use the right method of brush on you won't have any comeback from your customers and you won't be going to see a doctor for back problems which have been self inflicted when you get older through wfp use wear and tear on the body.

seandyer2003

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2008, 07:46:32 am »
How do you rinse "brush on" ??

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2008, 09:53:45 pm »
How do you rinse "brush on" ??

Easy, just leave the brush on the glass the whole time from start to finish.
I don't recommend it with a flocked brush though as they trap the dirt on the end of the bristles and leave bits of grit, etc on the glass.
With a mono filament brush the dirt doesn't get trapped on the end of the bristles and just gets washed down with the water. No need to clean a mono filament brush off by hand unless it's absolutely covered in cobwebs as all the dirt frees itself.