richywilts

Re: taking on a new sales rep/business development manager for commercials
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2012, 12:06:50 pm »
Richy get in the real world, if you want a decent business development manager, you will be looking at around £50k a year, to grow your business

look i dont care really what title it comes with business development manager/sales executive/head of sales operations, i just went with what the recruitment company basically described the position as i couldnt give two hoots what ever the sales person wants to call himself to feed there ego

im taking on a sales person who will be collating data, carrying out telemarketing/ making appointments and closing deals end of why would 50k be bandied round for a sales person maybe 18-30k
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

Approved

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2012, 02:21:41 pm »
You need to employ some one with experience in sales in this field, whats the point of paying £20k a year to an ex double glazing salesman, who has no contacts, when they come across from other cleaning or facilitie companies, they bring all their contacts with them, if you want to end up with the corner shop carry on, im just advising, you from experience.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2012, 05:54:30 pm »
big john as spoken

you tell him johnny boy

richywilts

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2012, 06:05:15 pm »
You need to employ some one with experience in sales in this field, whats the point of paying £20k a year to an ex double glazing salesman, who has no contacts, when they come across from other cleaning or facilitie companies, they bring all their contacts with them, if you want to end up with the corner shop carry on, im just advising, you from experience.

ive not got a budget for an experienced person on 50k tho who has experience in this field its a trial for three months so we can see where it takes us,
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

Dave Willis

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2012, 06:13:27 pm »
Richy have you done the maths on this? How many unproductive employees can you support and for how long?
18k or 50k is a massive amount of cash to put by from your business. I bet your own personal takings are way, way below 50k after paying staff etc etc. Good on you for thinking big but I'm not sure you are going the right way about it.

« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2012, 07:59:06 pm »
Richy

I am afraid that this plan is doomed to failure and with your attitude to running a business in the same league as "Scrooge" all of your other endevours are also doomed.

You think nothing of breaking employment laws or using other companies to get you staff that you want and as soon as they do you do a deal behind their back.

You want to work your cleaners to death and pay them the  bearest minimum that you can get away with.

If this salesman/manager is any good, how long do you think it will take him to realise that if he partners up with your best cleaner, he can get the customers, the cleaner will clean them and they will split the money 50/50

Running a business that you want to be sucessful cannot be done on the cheap.

Have a rethink ;)

Gary f

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2012, 08:05:32 pm »
Cashflow destroyed waiting to be paid and with high wages of salesman and trying to get staff, best of British hope your Bank supports assive overdrafts. Would do 1 get work and get forat right and then add further with right pricing in place unless your Manager can guarantee extra returns and how?

If you use Agency you can cancel@ short notice and let them prove what they can do and make informed decision.

AJ

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2012, 10:36:37 pm »
50k p/a should bring you in 10x +
18k p/a to someone who doesnt know the industry = -18k

You also have to realise that you must supply the bdm with all the tools to complete his job successfully. All the H&S paperwork and qualifications that commercial companies require, the knowledge that he is not wasting his time when filling in PQQ's along with the financial reassurance and staffing levels to complete the business he secures without making him look a nob.
A good rep wants to earn as much money as possible, so he will be interviewing you, not the other way round and if he can only sell himself for 20k pa, he's not very good at selling.

Look before you leap is the best advice out there.

richywilts

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2012, 10:57:05 pm »
50k p/a should bring you in 10x +
18k p/a to someone who doesnt know the industry = -18k

You also have to realise that you must supply the bdm with all the tools to complete his job successfully. All the H&S paperwork and qualifications that commercial companies require, the knowledge that he is not wasting his time when filling in PQQ's along with the financial reassurance and staffing levels to complete the business he secures without making him look a nob.
A good rep wants to earn as much money as possible, so he will be interviewing you, not the other way round and if he can only sell himself for 20k pa, he's not very good at selling.

Look before you leap is the best advice out there.

i understand that im going to begin with smaller jobs at first kids nurseries, bed and breakfasts, small hotels etc break him in gently whilst training him on the larger works and whats required etc i will be sending him on courses etc to learn health and safety and whats required

im not going to be going for contracts that require pqq just yet maybe next summer for that

ive just signed up for building industry data leads and the package is fantastic i pay 40quid per county which i have chosen 4 of cheshire merseryside north wales and lancashire and at click of a few buttons can see what building projects are being constructed, who has won contract, value of the project, estimated completetion date, all the sun contractors etc etc from architect to the ground worker

i can type in a post code and radius and it will fire up hundreds of projects

this tool will help us push builders cleans which could then lead us on to securing the actual contracts

ive got an ex business coach/,mentor who ran a £5,000,000 contract cleaning company for advice and back up etc to bring in to train him up also
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

Rodger

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2012, 11:21:47 pm »
RichyWilts why don't you answer some of the more 'searching' questions that are posed to you? Is it because you can't?

richywilts

« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2012, 03:28:43 am »
RichyWilts why don't you answer some of the more 'searching' questions that are posed to you? Is it because you can't?

which questions would they be rodger????
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

Dave Willis

« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2012, 07:34:45 am »
Richy, how do you actually pay these people? I get the impression you have very little spare cash most weeks. So you take a guy on and say he doesn't pick up work straight away (which he won't) - how will you pay his wages? Have you got a business loan or something? How do you manage the cash flow? How do you cope with the VAT too? It would frighten the life out of me.
What would also worry me is the fact that most of these contracts will already have cleaners anyway - they aren't there for the taking. How will you convince them to change to you - will you be cheaper or more professional or something?

Your wages + the rep + the secretary + the two vans (four workers?) - you must have a wage bill of nearly 100 grand a year. Assuming you are on 40k to 50k Which most very good single operatives seem to be on before they have to expand.

Paul H

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2012, 10:02:54 am »
Richy

You mentioned the types of business you are going to target etc.. nurseries etc...

Get yourself a little brochure made

send it out

back it up with a phone call , visit free demo etc..

or if you have a desire to employ and pay someone.. get yourself a nice telesales girl to call these places find out the decision maker and send them the brocure covering letter etc...book your demos etc...

This may open some doors you are clearly chasing after whilst being a bit more cost effective for yourself...

Its about getting a retrun on your investment mate...and lashing 18 , 20 , 25k + on someone straight off may not be answer for you...... just yet

i admire your vision and desire though

Rodger

« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2012, 01:48:41 pm »

which questions would they be rodger????[

This one

we have decided we would like to work together and cut out the agency

That statement is an indication that your relationship is likely to fail from the word go mate. Sorry to be blunt but can't you work together and use the agency or is the paying element too much to swallow?

This one.

How would you propose an agency makes any money? Buy charging their clients out at the same rate that you are paying them?

This one.

Whats out of order ?

This one

Didn't they tell you what you'd be paying if he was to be taken on?

And this one.

Richy have you done the maths on this?

And some of the other comments although not necessarily posed as questions if would be polite of you to respond to them.

richywilts

« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2012, 02:16:32 pm »

which questions would they be rodger????[

This one

we have decided we would like to work together and cut out the agency

That statement is an indication that your relationship is likely to fail from the word go mate. Sorry to be blunt but can't you work together and use the agency or is the paying element too much to swallow?

why is this statement an indication that relationship is likely to fail, yes the paying element from ther off of £14 per hour is a bit to much to swallow for a small business, ok it looks like i have done the dirty on the agency but i had voiced my concerns that there prices were to expensive and i would struggle but she was quite adamant to send this guy down to chat to me, and to be fair we got on well he ticked the boxes i was after but i still couldnt justify spending £14 to the agency . so i explained to him situation i was in that i thought he would do great but i couldnt not justify spending that much. we agreed to bring him in lower wage for first couple of months whilst learning ropes he was really keen to get bk into sales job as thats what he enjoys.so thats how it happened too answer your question rodger yes it was too much too swallow

This one.

How would you propose an agency makes any money? Buy charging their clients out at the same rate that you are paying them?

im fully aware that agencys have to make there money at first it was a general enquiry they came to see me i explained what i may be after then she wanted to begin sending me candidates straight away all in space of couple of days even after me voicing my concerns that it was doubtful i cud afford there fees

This one.

Whats out of order ?

This one

Didn't they tell you what you'd be paying if he was to be taken on?

yes they did rodger and i did warn her that it was out my price range

And this one.

Richy have you done the maths on this?

ive not number crunched it no but i know where i want my business to go and i know what i can afford and i know what risks im prepared to take to succeed look i know a lot on here are small one man bands but i never dreamt of being that i do see why it appeals to some and some days i wish i had just stuck there but i had a vision of what i wanted and im sticking to my guns ive had a lot of bad luck along the way but i dont see a huge change by next summer i will review my business and look to wind it down
And some of the other comments although not necessarily posed as questions if would be polite of you to respond to them.
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct