baldeagle

Police checked/approved
« on: September 23, 2005, 08:28:54 pm »
I notice that some W/C's mention in their advertising that they are either "Police checked" or "Police approved".

I'm aware that in Scotland, W/C's have to be licensed, which, presumably includes a check, but does anyone know how to get this "status" in the remainder of the UK?

Baldeagle.
"John the Window Cleaner."
A business founded during the Elizabethan age.

Re: Police checked/approved
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 08:39:21 pm »
I think it's fairly simple.  A hotel manager told me that they check their room cleaning staff with the police.  It costs something like £20 to do and a simple form has to be completed with the person's signature; agreeing to the check.

I'm sure someone can be of more help than myself, but I was thinking that if I did manage to begin a local federation, then a proper police check, unlike the Fed's 'self certification' would be much better.

Walter Pole

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 08:44:29 pm »
I am police checked as I have paid to have a CRB (criminal records bureau) http://www.crb.gov.uk/ check.  This is confirmation I don't have any police charges or criminal records attached to me.  I run a taxi business and have to have it done every 3 years.  So I also put 'Police and security checked' on my business cards.  I feel it give peace of mind to some of my newer customers, especially the elderly and those that inside cleans done.  I think it cost about £45.

Mark
taking panes to exceed expectations

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 09:19:16 pm »
police checks are like MOT's - only good for the day they are done and no guarantee of anything -

if an employer wants to check an employee, there are only certain circumstances where it can be done - eg working with vulnerable people - unless the employee agrees to it as Tosh says

If you want your own PNC (police national computer) check, everyone is entitled to get this for a fee
then you could say you are 'police checked' - but does it really put people at ease, or does it sound like Joe Bloggs trying to look credible

Walter Pole

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 09:25:57 pm »
That's true, anyone who is stopped by the police, even for a motoring offence is 'police checked'...even if they have a long line of convictions.
taking panes to exceed expectations

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 10:56:43 pm »
I'm police checked, as a foster carer it has to be done every three years,

The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

jsm

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 07:10:19 am »
I'm Police checked - my wifes a copper  ;D
gets me lots of work from the force as well .
John Malone
JSM. Window & General Cleaning
(  North Wales  )
Giving homes a shine sicne 1989

one of the early gang of wfp er's ---- remember , when you cant see out - give JSM a shout

DASERVICES

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 11:21:03 am »

In Stirlingshire ( Scotland ) you cannot work as a window cleaner unless you
  have a licence from the council. This includes you being checked by the Police
  and insurance cover.

Works a treat.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005, 03:26:52 pm »

In Stirlingshire ( Scotland ) you cannot work as a window cleaner unless you
  have a licence from the council. This includes you being checked by the Police
  and insurance cover.

Works a treat.

What exactly do they check up on though?  Would say, spent convictions count against someone?  Would theft/burglary count against someone forever or just until spent?  Would a past sexual offence be viewed more harshly due to a window cleaner usually being male and if anyone is at home it's usually a lone female?
Not that I've transgressed in any of those ways.  Personally, I've nothing to hide.  I was nicked for a personal amount of weed in '74 and nicked for obstructing police in execution of duty in '77 (I thought he was gonna hit my friend so I got in the way) .  Clean record since.  A line needs to be drawn somewhere I think.  As I've said before on here,  I was punished for past offences way back in the 70s.  To steal my business from me for stuff that happened 30 years ago would be going too far.  A clear breach of human rights I trhink.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2005, 08:02:53 pm »
If you're doing schools or nurseries or play centres sponsored by childrens charities you may have to be police checked as to whether you have a clean slate as regards child abuse.

If you simply nicked lead off the roof of the local church when you were 18 (which  is wrong and which I do not advocate - especially without proper scaffolding that reaches WAHD recommendations ;D) that would not count from the police check point of view.
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2005, 08:12:21 pm »
If you simply nicked lead off the roof of the local church when you were 18... that would not count from the police check point of view.

What about getting 28 days detention for going AWOL and joining the French Foriegn Legion whilst being under the influence of alcohol?

Would that count?

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2005, 09:41:55 pm »
Shiner, your convictions are spent - only serious offences have to be brought up esp, as you say, any of the bad stuff -
Until we have to be registered like some workers - don't even think about it - besides where would it end - pizza delivery - barber - market researcher - as alan t says...nutse ;)

Tosh - if you joined the FFL then tell everyone - flipping brilliant!
Proper Geordie Lad ;D

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2005, 11:52:43 pm »
If you dont need it dont do .
i have never been asked in 7 years of window cleaning.

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2005, 05:42:08 pm »

i have never been asked in 7 years of window cleaning.

I think it could be a good selling point though; for some types of job.  I left the army with an 'Exemplary' service record (despite joining the French Foriegn Legion - sounds more glamerous than what it was - only there for one night; till we sobered up; it just amounts to a funny story over a few beers).  (Regimental Sergeant Major didn't laugh though; neither did the CO much.)

Remember, a hotel manager (or shop keeper) wants to be able to trust you.  Cleaning interior hotel room windows mean you have to enter occupied rooms.  I guess it would be easy to steal from the occupants.

So, on the two hotels which I've both quoted for (and got), I said I could prove I had no criminal convictions by showing my 'exemplary' service record.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 08:24:54 pm »

What about getting 28 days detention for going AWOL and joining the French Foriegn Legion whilst being under the influence of alcohol?

Would that count?

No.

sorry chaps, but i think its aload of nutse personally.

It doesn't matter what you or I think - it's what the customer thinks that matters.
It's a game of three halves!

steve k

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 08:59:30 am »
Tosh, your red book is only as good as the day it was issued...it details your army career to the point of discharge. I left December, 1988 and could have committed a string of offences between then and now (haven

steve k

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 09:15:20 am »
Tosh, your red book is only as good as the day it was issued...it details your army career to the point of discharge. I left December, 1988 and could have committed a string of offences between then and now with there being no reference to it on my 17 year old discharge book.
The ONLY proof of a persons criminal past (or lack of) is to apply for and pay for a CRB certificate.
If you were working inside an establishment where you had unsupervised access/contact with children or vulnerable people/ cash/valuables or drugs you would have to provide proof of an enhanced CRB and declare ALL convictions whether spent or not.
If the offences are deemed to be of such an age or of no relevance to the risk they will not appear on the certificate. Any offences against the person or theft will always appear. Once you receive your certificate, you can then decide, based upon it`s contents, whether you can then use it when approaching potential clients for work.
If the client has requested you provide a certificate, they will (or should) be a registered body with the CRB and have authorisation to carry out such checks and check all relevant ID documentation you will need to supply to verify your identity and address history from the past 5 years.
They will complete the paperwork  and are entitled to ask you to pay the fee. A certificate will be sent to both them and yourself.
The decision to employ or not will then be made.

DASERVICES

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 02:36:42 pm »

Just been on to the Council as I am going to employ someone and therefore
  need a licence. Got talking to her as to what were the requirements when
  being Police checked and she couldn't tell me any info.

However she did inform this will soon be a nationwide requirement in Scotland
  and that some council's in England are looking into this. This is a Police driven
  incentive and they stop and check window cleaners in the area. Anyone
  operating without a licence is prosecuted.

As regards the criteria I would say that they would be sensible in this in that
  if you were a burguar then definately no licence. If they veiwed you as a danger
  to the public then they wouldn't issue one.

I'm sure none of you guys on here are any of this.

DASERVICES

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 03:37:33 pm »

Just found this on the Council site regarding issuing a licence on the grounds of
  offences comitted, hope this answers a few questions :-

Information Note for Applicants.

Each Licensing application form requests that you disclose personal information regarding any criminal convictions whether they are spent or not.

All applications are treated on merit and, the fact that you disclose this information does not mean that, a licence will not be granted to you.  Consideration will be given to: the type of offence; nature of offence; age at time of offence; period since the offence occurred; good conduct since the time of last offence.

Minor Traffic Offences

Speeding, Construction & Use offences would not normally prevent a licence being issued but usually involves a warning regarding future offences.  Repetitive instances of speeding may lead to a hearing situation to consider whether or not the applicant is a ‘fit and proper’ person to hold a licence.

Major Traffic Offences

Dangerous Driving, Driving without due care and attention etc., would be viewed seriously and consideration would be given to the period of time that has elapsed since the offence occurred.  Usually a clear period of 2 years since the offence took place would be looked for before granting a licence.  If any further similar offences were to be declared this may lead to suspension or refusal of a licence.

Drunk Driving

An offence of this nature is viewed very seriously and a lengthy period between the offence and an application for a licence would be expected.  A period of at least three years since the driving licence was re-issued would be expected.

Drug Related Offences

An applicant who has declared a drugs conviction would be expected to have a lengthy period of approximately three years free from any similar offences at the time of the application.  The applicant may be expected to provide medical support in favour of their application.

Indecency Offences

The safety of the public and passengers has to be given prime consideration and any offence for indecency will be viewed seriously.  Consideration in this instance would be given to any applicant who had no similar offences within a three to five year period.

Rape

Applications in this instance would most likely be refused.

Violence

An applicant who has declared any such convictions would be expected to have a conviction clear period of approximately three years.

Dishonesty

Applicants declaring any such conviction would be expected to have a conviction clear period of three years.

In all instances a written explanation from the applicant is expected outlining the details and the situation which led to the convictions declared.  This information is shared with Central Scotland Police who will indicate whether or not the applicant has provided accurate details on the circumstances of the conviction.

Any applicant who has a history of similar and repetitive offences will probably not be looked on favourably.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2005, 03:44:51 pm »
Are you sure that is the window cleaning license it sounds like a taxi one
I think that a traffic violation can stop you getting a license is a bit harsh ,and i would not live in a country like that ,

DASERVICES

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2005, 03:54:08 pm »

David,

There is a link on the window cleaning criteria which takes you to the Taxi criteria
  which I have pasted as it seems this may also be the criteria. This is because
  on the window cleaning page all offences have to be noted even points on
  your driving licence.

How they take this into consideration I don't know.

Cheers

Doug

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2005, 04:35:34 pm »
I am Police checked.  Have to have security clearance for one job I do.
It can help when name dropping for new stuff, so it's worth the hassle.  I have to re-apply every year.  10 page form, photo etc.

Pj

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2005, 07:06:13 pm »
...  10 page form, photo etc.

Pj

I filled out similar, being 'security checked' in the army to handle classified information.

My problems were my Japanese background and a (mad) Irish (now ex) wife.

I used to have to list all overseas relations (ie the Jap lot), then because I had an Irish connection, I used to have to fill out a supplement form for that lot too.

I bet the 'vetting people' hated me.

But it's my kids who I feel sorry for.  They're Japanese-Geordie-Irish. 

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2005, 07:18:17 pm »
But it's my kids who I feel sorry for. They're Japanese-Geordie-Irish.
Just tell them they're pure Japanese.

Saves them any upset in finding out they're northern. ;D

;)

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2005, 07:41:55 pm »
i am northern   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

;D ;D ;D

Paul Coleman

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2005, 09:51:58 pm »

Just found this on the Council site regarding issuing a licence on the grounds of
  offences comitted, hope this answers a few questions :-

Information Note for Applicants.

Each Licensing application form requests that you disclose personal information regarding any criminal convictions whether they are spent or not.

All applications are treated on merit and, the fact that you disclose this information does not mean that, a licence will not be granted to you.  Consideration will be given to: the type of offence; nature of offence; age at time of offence; period since the offence occurred; good conduct since the time of last offence.

Minor Traffic Offences

Speeding, Construction & Use offences would not normally prevent a licence being issued but usually involves a warning regarding future offences.  Repetitive instances of speeding may lead to a hearing situation to consider whether or not the applicant is a ‘fit and proper’ person to hold a licence.

Major Traffic Offences

Dangerous Driving, Driving without due care and attention etc., would be viewed seriously and consideration would be given to the period of time that has elapsed since the offence occurred.  Usually a clear period of 2 years since the offence took place would be looked for before granting a licence.  If any further similar offences were to be declared this may lead to suspension or refusal of a licence.

Drunk Driving

An offence of this nature is viewed very seriously and a lengthy period between the offence and an application for a licence would be expected.  A period of at least three years since the driving licence was re-issued would be expected.

Drug Related Offences

An applicant who has declared a drugs conviction would be expected to have a lengthy period of approximately three years free from any similar offences at the time of the application.  The applicant may be expected to provide medical support in favour of their application.

Indecency Offences

The safety of the public and passengers has to be given prime consideration and any offence for indecency will be viewed seriously.  Consideration in this instance would be given to any applicant who had no similar offences within a three to five year period.

Rape

Applications in this instance would most likely be refused.

Violence

An applicant who has declared any such convictions would be expected to have a conviction clear period of approximately three years.

Dishonesty

Applicants declaring any such conviction would be expected to have a conviction clear period of three years.

In all instances a written explanation from the applicant is expected outlining the details and the situation which led to the convictions declared.  This information is shared with Central Scotland Police who will indicate whether or not the applicant has provided accurate details on the circumstances of the conviction.

Any applicant who has a history of similar and repetitive offences will probably not be looked on favourably.

I have real concerns about this type of stuff.  It's not so much about the specifics of what you have written but about the way the state has been encroaching more and more into areas where it has no business - especially over the past 20 years.
I could get on my soapbox and have a major rant about all sorts of issues that come under that heading but it's not really about window cleaning and would be more appropriate for a political forum.
However, on the basis that if we "have nothing to hide we have nothing to fear", just try getting into America if you've ever been a trade union activist or ever got caught smoking a bit of puff - however long ago it was.
"I am not now, and never have been" the type to be suppressed by little dictators.
Sorry to go way off topic but the population of this country has allowed our supposed servants far too much power.
Remember that Donovan number?
"They made me fill in forms, until I shook with fear
About the colour of my toilet roll and if my cousin's queer.
Here's your gold watch and shackles for your chain......................"

All I'm trying to say is that I seriously dislike an over-regulated society.

Rant over.