« on: September 08, 2005, 05:28:47 pm »

are there other alternatives out there?

jacaranda

Re: alternative to ladder clamps?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 05:42:54 pm »
use o pole

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 06:06:59 pm »
Get better ladder clamps and keep them oiled.  I've never had problem.  Decent ones cost about 25 - 30 quid

Pj

simbag

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 06:12:36 pm »
Hi Alan,

This system from thule, is brilliant, I don't even bother locking it up for driving short distances between my jobs, coz there is no danger of it slipping off.

http://www.roofrackwarehouse.co.uk/load_accessories/information_548.html

Also you can lock it up overnight, its very secure, and doesn't cost much more than decent clamps, and less hassle.

Simon

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 06:17:08 pm »
Mmm, they look good Simon.  Do they fit any roofbars?

Pj

simbag

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 10:37:33 pm »
Not sure, they are obviously made by thule, therefore fit their own, bars, and as they also do oval bars, I would assume that they fit them too.

The only thing I would say that you need to be careful with, is the width of the bar itself. I'm trying to find out what that width is on the website. Because obvioulsy if its too wide, then the stoppers won't fit on the bars

If I can't find it, I'll measure mine tomorrow and post it on here for you.

Simon

twt

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 11:28:25 pm »
how did you manage to cross thread them ??? i got £16 clamps from cleantech had them ages no problems.

simbag

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 11:20:21 pm »
Sorry it took so long to get back, the width of my bars is 26mm, if yours are larger than this it is unlikely that the brackets will fit over your bars.

Hopes that helps you,

Simon

rosskesava

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 11:37:07 pm »
Use bungees ....................

Ladder clamps in the cold etc etc etc

You can't beat a good bungee..

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 06:27:37 pm »
Use bungees ....................

Ladder clamps in the cold etc etc etc

You can't beat a good bungee..

I use one ladder clamp at the front and a bungee at the rear.  Using just bungees doesn't seem safe to me.

What would happen if you crashed at speed?

If you keep them oiled and don't overtighten; you shouldn't have any problems with ladder clamps.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 06:29:31 pm »
bungees for me as well if in doubt tie an extra one on for faster journeys

H h20

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005, 06:36:36 pm »
Ive seen window cleaners with these massive climbing frames on their cars and vans,and noticed that they don`t need tieing on,but what happens if going over bumps or in an accident,surely they would be done for unsafe load,if they came flying off,and caused an accident,i dont know if they are legal,does anyone use such a thing?Gaz.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2005, 07:12:01 pm »
Wot u do is:-

Two roof bars with an upright bar bolted to each roof bar.
Put ladder on with upright bars between rungs.
Use bungee straps to secure.

Upright bars stop forward, backward and lateral movement and bungees stops the ladder lifting. (Unless you go totally upside down in which case the ladders will stop the road surface scratching your roof paintwork!) ;D
It's a game of three halves!

rosskesava

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 07:21:27 pm »
I use one ladder clamp at the front and a bungee at the rear.  Using just bungees doesn't seem safe to me.

If you keep them oiled and don't overtighten; you shouldn't have any problems with ladder clamps.

The bungees we use are safe to 700 Newtons (what ever that means) but according to the company we buy them from they are as strong as the roofrack and need changing when their unstretched length goes over a certain length.

We did use pound shop bungees untill one day I braked hard to avoid a dog and the metal ends snapped on both bungees and the wiplash effect put the front one through the windscreen. The ladder also left some nice scratches down the bonnet.

I've never been easy with just bungees either but I lost count of the number of times my hand slipped off the clamp in winter and boy oh boy does it hurt or what.

Also, does anyone know the law about securing ladders?

Upright bars stop forward, backward and lateral movement and bungees stops the ladder lifting. (Unless you go totally upside down in which case the ladders will stop the road surface scratching your roof paintwork!)  ;D

;D ;D ;D

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 09:29:55 pm »
Bungees do have limitations like i never go over 100mph with them .i have used them for 7 years and had no problems at all

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2005, 09:34:12 pm »
Ian Giles has a story about when one end slipped out of his hand and thumped him in the face!  I can't remember the end of the story, but it might've ended up with him thumping 'eck out of his car.

Another lad here knew someone who lost an eye to a 'slipped' bungee (so this story is about third-hand old).

I still don't know why you lot think ladder clamps are a pain.  They take seconds to get on and off.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2005, 06:58:13 am »
Bungee's for me with ladders, but good ones!

Tosh is almost right, but it wasn't the bungee that smacked me in the nose...it was my 6fr pointer ladder :-\
Had a van at the time, as I tightened the bungee, it tugged on the lightweight ladder, the ladder flipped over suddenly and whacked me on the bridge of my nose :'(
This led to an instant bit of rage and I punched the crap out of the side panel on the van, you could see the dents from my knuckles on it quite plainly....also skin and blood too :-[
Whenever I get into a fight with the inanimate I always come off worse!! :'(

Regards,

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2005, 09:42:13 pm »
Whenever I get into a fight with the inanimate I always come off worse!!

Bazil Faulty used a tree branch and won
prehaps u could use you Squeegie???
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2005, 10:01:43 pm »
Using just bungees doesn't seem safe to me.

You'd smash your car to pieces, and the ladders coming off would be the least of your problems as you removed the steering wheel from your ribcage.  :-\

I've just used nylon rope for 8 years.

Nice and tight, quick to tie.

Roger.

rosskesava

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2005, 10:22:52 pm »
The thing about bungees and the expansion and then the rapid contraction of rubber.

I still have a scar on my arm from a kid when I thought a bungee was properly on my Dad's car roof rack - it wasn't and as I turned away it whiplashed. The hook end went an inch into my arm.

Actually the scar has travel down my arm as I've aged and it is now half way down my fore arm but stil bungees can be hell. I am always so carefull to make sure they are used properly.

Hi Squeaky Clean

Just how do you tie anything with rope securely for load bearing purposes (I'm being serious)?

What about those straps that haulage firms use? They are designed to be quick and secure? Does anyone use them?

Cheers

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2005, 10:32:27 pm »
To be honest Ross, the rope isn't under much stress.

Ladders aren't really heavy, and they're sat on grippy bars.

I drove for 3 miles once, at up to 60mph (including stopping and roundabouts) and found I hadn't tied them on at all! :o

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2005, 10:35:31 pm »
To be honest Ross, the rope isn't under much stress.

Ladders aren't really heavy, and they're sat on grippy bars.

I drove for 3 miles once, at up to 60mph (including stopping and roundabouts) and found I hadn't tied them on at all! :o

i did the same a few years ago at 80mph they flew off .i still used them for a few years.

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2005, 10:45:09 pm »
I have a set of 8' trade step ladders, forgot to strap them on, flew off at 50 mph, accross other side of road in front of 40 ton lorry!!!!
He managed to stop short of my badly scraped steps..  Said be careful!! What a great bloke.  I've still got the steps, still use them every month.  Just shows you, buy good stuff.  Cost me £125 but still good, just scarred.

Pj

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2005, 10:51:19 pm »
well the bloke behind me stopped and started carrying them half way .that was such a long walk ,i didnt think about reversing.must of been 100 metres

rosskesava

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2005, 11:16:02 pm »
We lost a set of ladders and didn't have clue what hapened to them.

We left a job with them on the roof rack and got to the next job and they wern't there.

The bungees were hanging down the sides of the van so an arguement started as to who was responsible.

Problem was we only had one set of ladders.

A few days latter and a new ladder plus ladder clamps and the same thing happened again except this time we were doing 80 or 90 when the ladder separated itself from the roof rack. The clamps were still undone and one of them had vannished also.

A few days later and ladder number 3, this time secured with bungees again and the same bit off road, the whole roof rack came off one side complete with the guttering. We stopped with the roof rack at 90 degrees to the roof.

Those were the days... £100 for a van from the auction but we were happy......

Cheers

AuRavelling79

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2005, 11:32:12 pm »
The bungees were hanging down the sides of the van so an arguement started as to who was responsible.

Problem was we only had one set of ladders.

A few days latter and a new ladder plus ladder clamps and the same thing happened again except this time we were doing 80 or 90 when the ladder separated itself from the roof rack. The clamps were still undone and one of them had vannished also.

A few days later and ladder number 3, this time secured with bungees again and the same bit off road, the whole roof rack came off one side complete with the guttering. We stopped with the roof rack at 90 degrees to the roof.

Those were the days... £100 for a van from the auction but we were happy......

Cheers

LOL ;D

Before I put uprights on my roof bars I was driving the Volvo 240 Estate (2.3 petrol with the aerodynamics of a brick!) and overtaking an artic on a short stretch of dual carriageway. Now normally I wouldn't exceed 60 with just bungees, but to get past before the road became single carriageway again I edged up to 70, drew level with the cab and the ladders flew off and fortunately landed in the section for turning right in the central reservation without taking out a bus queue or anything.

I still use the top section with it's bent stiles as it's exactly the right length to go against the transom bars of a security cabin that I clean.
It's a game of three halves!

richie_tracey

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2005, 06:27:44 am »
I use rachett straps (prob spelt wrong) quick and easy to secure and release never had any probs