This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Sir Squeaky

Re: alternative to ladder clamps?
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2005, 10:32:27 pm »
To be honest Ross, the rope isn't under much stress.

Ladders aren't really heavy, and they're sat on grippy bars.

I drove for 3 miles once, at up to 60mph (including stopping and roundabouts) and found I hadn't tied them on at all! :o

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2005, 10:35:31 pm »
To be honest Ross, the rope isn't under much stress.

Ladders aren't really heavy, and they're sat on grippy bars.

I drove for 3 miles once, at up to 60mph (including stopping and roundabouts) and found I hadn't tied them on at all! :o

i did the same a few years ago at 80mph they flew off .i still used them for a few years.

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2005, 10:45:09 pm »
I have a set of 8' trade step ladders, forgot to strap them on, flew off at 50 mph, accross other side of road in front of 40 ton lorry!!!!
He managed to stop short of my badly scraped steps..  Said be careful!! What a great bloke.  I've still got the steps, still use them every month.  Just shows you, buy good stuff.  Cost me £125 but still good, just scarred.

Pj

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2005, 10:51:19 pm »
well the bloke behind me stopped and started carrying them half way .that was such a long walk ,i didnt think about reversing.must of been 100 metres

rosskesava

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2005, 11:16:02 pm »
We lost a set of ladders and didn't have clue what hapened to them.

We left a job with them on the roof rack and got to the next job and they wern't there.

The bungees were hanging down the sides of the van so an arguement started as to who was responsible.

Problem was we only had one set of ladders.

A few days latter and a new ladder plus ladder clamps and the same thing happened again except this time we were doing 80 or 90 when the ladder separated itself from the roof rack. The clamps were still undone and one of them had vannished also.

A few days later and ladder number 3, this time secured with bungees again and the same bit off road, the whole roof rack came off one side complete with the guttering. We stopped with the roof rack at 90 degrees to the roof.

Those were the days... £100 for a van from the auction but we were happy......

Cheers

AuRavelling79

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2005, 11:32:12 pm »
The bungees were hanging down the sides of the van so an arguement started as to who was responsible.

Problem was we only had one set of ladders.

A few days latter and a new ladder plus ladder clamps and the same thing happened again except this time we were doing 80 or 90 when the ladder separated itself from the roof rack. The clamps were still undone and one of them had vannished also.

A few days later and ladder number 3, this time secured with bungees again and the same bit off road, the whole roof rack came off one side complete with the guttering. We stopped with the roof rack at 90 degrees to the roof.

Those were the days... £100 for a van from the auction but we were happy......

Cheers

LOL ;D

Before I put uprights on my roof bars I was driving the Volvo 240 Estate (2.3 petrol with the aerodynamics of a brick!) and overtaking an artic on a short stretch of dual carriageway. Now normally I wouldn't exceed 60 with just bungees, but to get past before the road became single carriageway again I edged up to 70, drew level with the cab and the ladders flew off and fortunately landed in the section for turning right in the central reservation without taking out a bus queue or anything.

I still use the top section with it's bent stiles as it's exactly the right length to go against the transom bars of a security cabin that I clean.
It's a game of three halves!

richie_tracey

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2005, 06:27:44 am »
I use rachett straps (prob spelt wrong) quick and easy to secure and release never had any probs