karygate

working in rain must have its limits
« on: January 23, 2009, 08:51:55 am »
i can understand some people working in showers when working commercial etc but around here today it is throwing it down and just been past a w/c cleaning a shop front. the rain has turned to sleet and is bouncing off the pavement. if i was the shop owner i would tell him where to go.surely there is a limit and some sort of respect for your customers.
gary

tomy jackson

Re: working in rain must have its limits
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 09:07:39 am »
dont be silly most custys dont respekt you your just a window cleaner , yes a poxy window cleaner .

Londoner

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 11:14:11 am »
I have never worked in anything heavier than a light drizzle. The customers don't like it but thats not the reason. I don't like it - thats the reason.

DC Window Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 12:19:16 pm »
i do not work in rain

john tomkins

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 12:23:57 pm »
Have a look at your own windows after the last couple of nights rain..... Mine were clean but now they are filthy.

Slash

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 05:20:59 pm »
dont be silly most custys dont respekt you your just a window cleaner , yes a poxy window cleaner .
Yes but if you take no nonsense and they know that they will respect you,I take it you have been talked to like crap before and said nothing! ;D
I work in light rain but when it's pouring down I stop,not because I am afraid what the customers think but I don't like getting wet!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 05:25:33 pm »
As said above - the reason I don't work in more than light drizzle/occasional shower is because I don't like getting wet.

You can educate custy's with a rain guarantee - but unless we have a prolonged spell (like last August) I just work double quick inbetween the showers. The beauty of wfp!
It's a game of three halves!

East coast window cleaning Services

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 05:29:47 pm »
I left home this morning from north london to south london took 1h 15mins to get there, When i got there it came down, I had 65 flats to do in a managed block if it was closer i would have gone home but just got on with it. And got wet
P&R Window Cleaning

drakestar!

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 05:39:06 pm »
Well you could always sell me that job, im in south london  ;)

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 05:39:45 pm »
not a chance its good earner ;D
P&R Window Cleaning

simon knight

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 05:41:27 pm »
Driving Mrs k into work this morning at 8.30 I saw a w/c cleaning a shop front in the High Street. It was absolutely peeing down and the sight of somebody cleaning windows looked...well, absolutely and utterly bloody ridiculous!

drakestar!

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 05:42:54 pm »
Well it was worth a try  :D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 05:43:06 pm »
Driving Mrs k into work this morning at 8.30 I saw a w/c cleaning a shop front in the High Street. It was absolutely peeing down and the sight of somebody cleaning windows looked...well, absolutely and utterly bloody ridiculous!

Agreed - it does look desperate.
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 06:12:38 pm »
agreed i wouldnt do my residential in it. and like i said if i was closer to home i would have turned in,.
P&R Window Cleaning

matt

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 06:15:13 pm »

i often think, what do they look like cleaning windows in the pouring rain

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 06:22:00 pm »
I wonder if the forums to blame? Did people used to work in the rain?

The wannabees read on here all about window cleaning kung fu and then they go out and become ruthless money machines. What have we spawned?

matt

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 06:42:15 pm »
I wonder if the forums to blame? Did people used to work in the rain?

The wannabees read on here all about window cleaning kung fu and then they go out and become ruthless money machines. What have we spawned?

good call

it was allways a no no to work in the rain, though that was the trad way and when you detailed the edges the rain drops would drag aswell

it seems the new comers are just interested in the money, they have allways had loads of new customers, customer service / relations are pretty way down on the list, well down the list under the top item, money

Tosh

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 06:50:20 pm »
It's possible to clean in the rain; within certain parameters; using a bit of common sense on what accounts you do.

But obviously if it's hammering down with the rain comming in side-ways; you shouldn't do it.

However,  is working in-between the rain storms any different?  And with WFP I think the biggest bugger is the WIND; not the rain.

WISEOWL

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 06:56:02 pm »
I used to whimper at the remotest hint of rain and waste hours and even days not working when in actual fact a 'rainy day' could be only less than an hour of the entire working day.

Now, thanks to my pole and site jacket, I work through rain...bar the torrential rain that we rarely get.

Tosh

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 06:59:33 pm »
Now, thanks to my pole and site jacket, I work through rain...bar the torrential rain that we rarely get.

I know what a pole is, but what's a 'site jacket'?

WISEOWL

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 07:05:28 pm »
Flourescent yellow, fleece-thermal inner, waterproof outer (with 3M technology) zip up jacket with hood.

The kind road workers and BT engineers wear.

My mate is a Quantity Surveyour for a building firm so I get the freebies!

matt

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 07:08:57 pm »

However,  is working in-between the rain storms any different?

no difference at all, when i finish and it hammers down, i allways think, well that was a waste of time

Tosh

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 07:35:10 pm »

However,  is working in-between the rain storms any different?

no difference at all, when i finish and it hammers down, i allways think, well that was a waste of time

But it's not really is it? 

You've removed  bird poo, spiders webs and stuff.  My windows haven't been done since the last time Wor Lass forced me to do them and they still look pretty good and they've been rained on countless times since then.

Rain usually doesn't affect the windows; though I admit there's factors affecting, for example I do a few houses that have been painted with cheap paint, and when it rains the water runs down the house and some of the paint residue ends up on the windows.

You may also have patio doors (French windows) where the rain splashes dirt from the ground onto the bottom area of the windows; causing them to get dirty.

But in general, rain does not make windows dirty!

WISEOWL

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 08:00:20 pm »
I do patio doors, french doors and conservatories trad.

Saves water!

Upstairs get an extra special rinse in the rain.

A fellow window cleaner, who has been trad for 32 years, has kindly given me a little work to do whilst he is in hospital on the basis of the job I do with his windows...and the first customer said '...I thought you were new, my windows have been done properly!'

;D