DJW

Re: Looking for a new van
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2023, 05:24:21 pm »
Difficult to predict the future. Will a brand new diesel van today be worthless in a few years as battery powered vehicles take over or will it be more desirable by people who don’t want electric?
Will the Government tax diesel vehicles out of existence? Will electric get hammered by tax anytime soon?
I paid £25k for a pre registered Proce City.
Some Transits are mega money!

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2023, 05:30:59 pm »
Difficult to predict the future. Will a brand new diesel van today be worthless in a few years as battery powered vehicles take over or will it be more desirable by people who don’t want electric?
Will the Government tax diesel vehicles out of existence? Will electric get hammered by tax anytime soon?
I paid £25k for a pre registered Proce City.
Some Transits are £60k+

Good question. Maybe an old diesel van of today will become retro and sought after as they become obsolete.  Also parts may be harder to get.  My head is fried.🤣🤣
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

dd

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2023, 05:47:52 pm »
I have owned my van from new 18 years old. So far has not cost me mega dosh to keep on road.

For the last 10 years I have thought about changing but so glad I have kept it. I will probably keep it another 2 years but maybe longer. It still drives and runs very well. Current mileage close to 150k.

windowswashed

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2023, 06:32:23 pm »
I have owned my van from new 18 years old. So far has not cost me mega dosh to keep on road.

For the last 10 years I have thought about changing but so glad I have kept it. I will probably keep it another 2 years but maybe longer. It still drives and runs very well. Current mileage close to 150k.

I'm same as you, got a Merc vito with low mileage since almost new. Been maintained regularly and very reliable as well as  very quick. Can retire in less than 2 years possibly or cut down and go even more part time so don't really wish to buy another van.

Shrek

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2023, 08:57:26 pm »
Rising prices, I was using it as an example because it’s been mentioned they bought a van  10 years ago and now won’t buy one because the price has gone up. What’s gonna happen in another 10 years? The price will go up even more.

Ah, but when you buy a house it tends to increase in value, and doesn't depreciate.  A van depreciates  rapidly.   They have inflated 3 fold over the 10 years.   If that continues, like you say, in ten years time we will be paying £100k plus for a van.    Van inflation is through the roof.

Well I wouldn’t say rapidly depreciates anymore if what I’m seeing is the price of vans nowadays ….

windowswashed

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2023, 10:49:31 pm »
I personally think ICE vehicles will be in high demand after the cut off point for selling ICE vehicles (both cars and vans). Think the present EV's will be ok for some on short commutes and company vehicles but not for long distance drivers or families who do the average miles. Not enough charging points as well as range anxiety, cost of ownership, servicing problems, higher insurance and depreciation trying to sell secondhand vehicles with battery shelf life owing to rapid charging killing batteries quicker than anticipated. Think EV's will be the Betamax equivalent of the video world in it's time.

robbo333

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2023, 02:42:25 pm »
I have, what I think, is a different problem. I currently run an old (06 plate) Toyota hiace. It has served me well but is very basic (no rev counter or electric windows) but she starts on the button and does everything I need her to do.
So here's the problem; my round is very compact, sometimes I get to the first house and my van isn't even warm. Then I'm on to the next house (30 seconds) and so on...and so on. Quite simply, I think I would ruin a new van. Everyone says no problem, take it for a long run once a month and happy days..but I don't seem to find the time. Yet she still keeps on going. To cut a long story short I am more than happy with her and I have to say, I would buy the same again; and old Hiace.
My friend has an electric car and he says the range differs in the winter (much shorter) than the summer, tax benefits regarding electric vehicles are due to change in 2025, and my brother works on them (he says they are ok), but I can't justify the price of a new electric vehicle.
I rented a new van a while ago (whilst mine was having welding work done) and it just so happened to be a brand new Ford Custom with 600 miles on the clock.  Don't get me wrong this was a lovely van, comfortable, quiet, drove lovely just like a car but it had lights popping up all over the place. I thought, how long would it be before I actually ruined the van because I don't do enough mileage. Hope I don't have to replace my soon, but hopefully semi-retire in 3 years!

"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Stoots

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2023, 02:54:15 pm »
I worry about that with mine, the new euro 6 engines dont like short journeys. Big problems with dpf and ad blue systems being reported for a lot of new vehicles used like that. I use my van on a weekend so i always get chance to give it  at least 20 mins down the motorway each week but its not ideal.

That said i wont buy an electric vehicle until im forced to they sound pathetic and i like getting my hands dirty messing with cars myself. Cant beat diesel smoke or the sound of a petrol revving its nuts off.

EV`s just seem well a bit Gay  to me.

Smudger

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2023, 03:10:12 pm »
Great post robbo - new vans are not always the answer - who needs a new shiny fast van when your doing less than 30 miles a day with a dozen or more stops - an older bullet proof van is much more suited to most modern vans

We don’t even have a motorway in Norfolk so why do I need some custom sports van that can do 100 miles per hour?

If your van is dual purpose that’s different otherwise it’s a work vehicle  - slow and basic but robust and reliable

Darran

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2023, 03:43:36 pm »
I have, what I think, is a different problem. I currently run an old (06 plate) Toyota hiace. It has served me well but is very basic (no rev counter or electric windows) but she starts on the button and does everything I need her to do.
So here's the problem; my round is very compact, sometimes I get to the first house and my van isn't even warm. Then I'm on to the next house (30 seconds) and so on...and so on. Quite simply, I think I would ruin a new van. Everyone says no problem, take it for a long run once a month and happy days..but I don't seem to find the time. Yet she still keeps on going. To cut a long story short I am more than happy with her and I have to say, I would buy the same again; and old Hiace.
My friend has an electric car and he says the range differs in the winter (much shorter) than the summer, tax benefits regarding electric vehicles are due to change in 2025, and my brother works on them (he says they are ok), but I can't justify the price of a new electric vehicle.
I rented a new van a while ago (whilst mine was having welding work done) and it just so happened to be a brand new Ford Custom with 600 miles on the clock.  Don't get me wrong this was a lovely van, comfortable, quiet, drove lovely just like a car but it had lights popping up all over the place. I thought, how long would it be before I actually ruined the van because I don't do enough mileage. Hope I don't have to replace my soon, but hopefully semi-retire in 3 years!

In your situation I would just keep what I had and run it into the ground obviously service it and do what ever needs doing but no point in buying new .

Don Kee

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2023, 03:46:04 pm »
I bought my van brand new in 2016, transit custom limited.
It hadn’t missed a beat since I bought it, ran wonderfully.

I use the past tense as in the last 4 weeks it’s been a nightmare!
It developed an electrical fault around 4 weeks ago that sent the van into limp mode and everytime Ford think they’ve cracked it, I drive it for a few days and back into limp mode she goes.

I know I could be the “unlucky one” but it’s been a ‘mare.
I was considering getting another new van before all of this, now I almost thinking of binning this one off and getting an older van!!!

dd

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2023, 05:20:30 pm »
I am in a very similar situation to you and expect to retire soon. I am 60 next year and probably won't work much more than 2 years.

dd

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2023, 05:24:48 pm »
I bought my van brand new in 2016, transit custom limited.
It hadn’t missed a beat since I bought it, ran wonderfully.

I use the past tense as in the last 4 weeks it’s been a nightmare!
It developed an electrical fault around 4 weeks ago that sent the van into limp mode and everytime Ford think they’ve cracked it, I drive it for a few days and back into limp mode she goes.

I know I could be the “unlucky one” but it’s been a ‘mare.
I was considering getting another new van before all of this, now I almost thinking of binning this one off and getting an older van!!!
I feel lucky to have an 18 year old van with old technology, I don't even have to worry about a dpf. I am also fortunate in that I do not drive in any ULEZ areas.

ChrisVin

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2023, 06:39:17 pm »
This is a familiar dilemma. Mine is a 2015 2.0 Proace (Dispatch/Expert) that I have  had for nearly 5 years. It runs very well (had the timing belt replaced last year at 100k) and I would be happy to keep it for a few more years as it is perfect for my work. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your view) it is Euro5 and although I live 3 miles outside the London Ulez, I have around 10 days in the zone a month. I am eligible for the £7000 grant if I scrap it, as my business is registered in a London borough. I have signed up to auto pay but currently I am only charged around 50% of the time (£62.50 per month) as one or two  cameras seem to be damaged, although I am sure they will fix this soon. I have already increased my prices to cover the Ulez, but what do I do now?  Take the £7000 plus any scrap value, try and sell it for more or continue to pay Ulez and run it for a few years? This thread has made me think I should keep it.

Smudger

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2023, 07:12:32 pm »
What would you get for the Van if you sell it?

In your case I would defo sit down and cost out both options - but personally would have to lean to a new van - I suspect the ulez charge will do nothing but rise and rise

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Smudger

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2023, 07:16:24 pm »
Here's a Ulez Question....

I have a boxer for sale - if some one in London brought it could they then scrap it off for the 7k ?

ChrisVin

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2023, 07:36:29 pm »
Thanks for the reply Smudger, it seems that Euro 5 vans drop noticeably in value anywhere in the country. I have been offered a trade in of around 5k. Maybe I could get more if I posted it as a window cleaning van with a bolted pf 650 tank and hose reel etc..
But I’m not sure of what someone would be prepared to pay tbh.
I will think about your advice. Chris

In answer to your question, to qualify for the Ulez grant you need to have owned the vehicle since Jan ‘23.

zesty

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2023, 09:33:04 pm »
Been toying with the idea of getting a newer transit custom for months now.

Everytime I look at the prices I’m put off.

My custom is 10 years old now and runs well, with just a few little niggles. All the major stuff is fine.

130k and serviced every year. Still on the same chain! My mechanic said because I give it fresh oil every year, the chain is just going on and on and on with no signs of wear.

Mines euro 5, so not worth much now. Maybe £7k.

Then to shell out 25k plus vat for a used 2020-22 custom on 50,000 miles or more… just doesn’t add up. Especially with the wet belt issues and dpf/ad blue problems.

Think I’ll stick with the old faithful for a while.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2023, 10:25:44 pm »
Shame Dacia don't do a van!  ;D
It's a game of three halves!

Smudger

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2023, 10:58:43 pm »

yes thats a real shame  ;)