richywilts

girlfrriend want role in business
« on: October 25, 2011, 07:25:20 pm »
as title says my girlfriend wants to be part of my business,going to bring her in few hours a day to do admin so me and chris can concentrate on bringing new quality work in,

few questions

who else has there partners working in there businesses

what roles do the females take care of

what time of day do you think would be best to have a part time office worker

morning or afternoon
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

Catherine10

Re: girlfrriend want role in business
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 07:29:21 pm »
Phone Richy? Setting appointments? 10/12pm - 2pm/4pm    Does your guy Chris bring business in for commercial/domestic....?

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 07:31:04 pm »
Yes i had my mrs involved in my business she was in charge of buying. Until I had very little cash left.

stuart mc

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 07:36:37 pm »
sod that, don't even like my mrs taking phone calls

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 07:37:17 pm »
Blimey you was giving it all up the other day.
The only role i would give a bird is if she made them for lunch. ;D

richywilts

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 07:37:35 pm »
Phone Richy? Setting appointments? 10/12pm - 2pm/4pm    Does your guy Chris bring business in for commercial/domestic....?
[/quote

hiya catherine chris came in initially to work on commercial sales, then helped organize the daily admin etc which began taking up a large part of his day,my girlfriend used to work in admin for ford dealerships etc and has nvq level 3 in business and admin and worked as manager in her parents hotel etc so im not just giving her work for sake of it i do believe she is capable of helping improve the business.

i was thinkin of gettin her to work payroll and staff rotas etc,ring round customers and organise the weeks work,take card payments and chase up debts etc
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

Catherine10

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 07:41:34 pm »
Yep, good idea, good to have someone on debt chasing. Do you outsource payroll, would be great to have it in house.... prob work out cheaper. So with regards to the commercial sales side of things, anyone on the blower...?  Maybe building a database of people you want to target?

Dean Taberner

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 08:05:53 pm »
We've just gone lltd and my wife is a 50/50 share holder with me,

I sort out the window cleaning side of it and she does the accounts and invoicing.

I'd prefer to stick to what I know,

Dean.
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

richywilts

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 08:08:18 pm »
thats the problem dean im not 100% what i prefer i get bit fed up doing windows and also get fed up doing office work so i like to mix it up a bit
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 08:08:29 pm »
Have you turned a profit yet?

Sounds like you have a propensity to make your business top heavy,its got you as a boss that doesn`t like work and now your introducing another freeloader.I still have a feeling your workers will be off with your work for themselves and you won`t see it coming.

richywilts

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 08:26:28 pm »
why would they be off with my work they dont have any vans or systems and id break there legs if they robbed my work its actually something we were planning on doing getting them to sign a form stating they will not take any of our work
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

stuart mc

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 08:29:03 pm »
see the bit that would worry me is the fact she is your girlfriend, is she for forever and if so why is she not your wife,(none of my business)

Can you imagine a split up a few years down the line and the claims of I helped build the business etc, and in this case she could prove she indeed help.

If she really wants to be part of the business get her on the tools for six months so she understands what the lads are doing, preferably through the winter

P @ F

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 08:33:59 pm »
Then again , your 2 recent losses , maybe your staff are setting up for a revolt , trust no man and get your vans fitted with trackers , dare i say that i reckon a body close to you has done the recent wrongs ?

Rich
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

davids3511

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 08:35:28 pm »
why would they be off with my work they dont have any vans or systems and id break there legs if they robbed my work its actually something we were planning on doing getting them to sign a form stating they will not take any of our work
I don't think you can do that, not something that would hold up in court anyway. As for van and system a little bank loan would sort that out.

davids3511

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 08:36:46 pm »
For the same reason you are the boss rather than a window cleaning empoloyee.

Catherine10

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 08:41:04 pm »
Yea I think you can Davids, my friend had a similar thing being a hairdresser, she wasnt allowed to work within a certain radius.   It was part of her contract

stuart mc

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 08:45:02 pm »
Yea I think you can Davids, my friend had a similar thing being a hairdresser, she wasnt allowed to work within a certain radius.

you can write what you want in a contract, doing it legally is another matter, and you can find ways round it,

my wife works for a cleaning and has signed a clause that doesn't allow her to poach customers ect.

there is nothing stopping me employing her though and taking them

Catherine10

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 08:47:03 pm »
Im really not sure Stuart, I only can comment on what was written in my friends contract - no expert Im afraid. Yes I m sure you would be able to do that because you would be an employer, so it wouldnt stand on your wifes shoulders, because the contract would have been made directly with her.  Yep so yes.

stuart mc

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 08:56:07 pm »
just thought I would add I have no intention of doing it(before everyone slates me ;D) my wife doesn't want to work for me and I have no interest in domestic house cleaning.

but legally if the customer chooses who they want to do the work I don't think there is much you can do about it,

but I am no expert either

Catherine10

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 08:59:36 pm »
I think if you wanted to do it Stuart as you say, the contract wasnt made with you....

Trouble is also clients get used to seeing people, and like who they deal with, and then when you go it alone theres things in place that you cant go back to the people that like dealing with you, funny old world....  But I suppose thats laws and regulations...

stuart mc

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 09:09:44 pm »
I think if you wanted to do it Stuart as you say, the contract wasnt made with you....

Trouble is also clients get used to seeing people, and like who they deal with, and then when you go it alone theres things in place that you cant go back to the people that like dealing with you, funny old world....  But I suppose thats laws and regulations...

any way my point is if richy does get his guys to sign up, then yes maybe they should not approach his customers, but and it is a big but if the customers approaches the new company I think they could take them on, it would be breaking so many laws for them not to, I think these clauses in contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on,

but this has nowt to do with richy involving his girlfriend in the business, so lets leave it there

Catherine10

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 09:15:52 pm »
Sure.

Pope vader

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 09:38:05 pm »
workers nicking work

this has just happened to a mate of mine, 3.5 k a month he lost  lad worked for him,  then left and all the custy went with him,  nothing he can do about it  as you dont own the custy and they can have there window cleaned by who ever they want,  u can claim that it is written in a contracts, but there is nothign to stop the custy saying i dont want you i want fred and will go with fred

windiewasher

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 09:39:13 pm »
you can have that in a contract!
i would imagine however there would be a set time period for this!
when i was a shift manager for printing company,in my contract i had that i couldnt work in printing in a simillar role for 3 months after leaving contract!
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total Ł  so far.

stuart mc

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 09:42:04 pm »
as I keep saying you can put what ever you want in a contract, it doesn't mean you can do anything if they ignore it,

Pope vader

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 09:46:08 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restraint_of_trade

Restraining workers

See also: Non-compete clause

Restraining clauses in employment contracts are enforceable if:
 There is a legitimate interest which needs to be protected. Examples of such interests include business connections and business secrets.
 The restraint is reasonable, i.e. sufficiently protects the interest and goes no further.

Generally, if a restraining clause is found to be unreasonable, then it will be void. In certain circumstances though the court may uphold it either by construing ambiguities or by severance. Severance consists of the application of what is known as the "blue pencil test"; if individual words which make the clause excessively wide are able to be crossed out and the clause still makes grammatical sense, without altering the nature of the obligations, then the courts may be willing to sever the illegal aspects of the clause and enforce the remainder.

how could you stop some one taking your custy if they wanted to go with them,  as you are technically stopping them from earning a living in there chosen field of work

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 09:49:58 pm »
You can add a bar clause to a worker employment contract preventing him stealing you customer as long as its reasonable( in time scale 6 months) and you can prove it caused damage to your business.It is used in the hairdressing industry all the time and in any  industry that services customer.Your worker can never claim that your businesses customer were his property.If the customer phoned him in this time he would have to ex plane and refuse them.You invested to canvass these customer. 8) 8) 8)

Pope vader

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2011, 09:54:15 pm »
what a load of crap,  if a custy says i want my windows cleaned by fred and not jim,  what can jim do about,  i think it would get laughed out of court,

my misses use to work in hairdressers,  when she left custy would follow, how can you make some not off there service to some one who wants it

davids3511

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2011, 09:57:03 pm »
Yea I think you can Davids, my friend had a similar thing being a hairdresser, she wasnt allowed to work within a certain radius.   It was part of her contract
No you can't, it's freedom of employment, you can work for whom ever you like. Even if the guy did sign a contract all he would need to do is setup a ltd company and work for that as an employee. The ltd company didn't sign anything with richy and would be free to take whatever customers it could.

Catherine10

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2011, 09:59:05 pm »
Not an expert Davids only going from what happened to a friend. 

how could you stop some one taking your custy if they wanted to go with them,  as you are technically stopping them from earning a living in there chosen field of work
THIS IS TRUE BUT THE WORKER DOES NOT HAVE TO USE YOUR CUSTOMER TO MAKE A LIVING. THE COURT WILL ASK WHY THE WORKER HAS NOT TRIED TO SEEK HIS CUSTOMERS ANY WARE ELSE.AS I SAID THIS PRACTICE YOU COULD PROVE THE HE HAS SET OUT TO DAMAGE YOUR BUSINESS.IF I WAS THE WORKER I WOULD NOT MESS AS IF THE COURT FINDS FOR YOU IT WOULD COST HE A LOT OF MONEY.

stuart mc

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2011, 10:00:27 pm »
employers use these contracts on the hope that we are all as stupid as we look, and we believe it, and it would seem there is a few on here that confirm this to be true, when I did employ I put a clause in the contract but I knew I had no chance of enforcing it if the employee tried it on when leaving, but I put it there in the hope that he believed it was wrong and illegal

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2011, 10:03:37 pm »
weLL i LEFT AND WENT ON MY OWN AND GAVE CARDS TO MY CUSTOMERS, BELIEVE ME OR NOT IT COST ME DEARLY.

Pope vader

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2011, 10:12:33 pm »
ok,  say i work for dave morris (example) and i tell a custy i am leaving to start my own business and i get on great with this custy and he says ok, put me down i will come to you as your my window cleaner

do i

1, say great and take him and then knock the area and get more

2, say sorry i cant that would be illegal,

this is stuff goes on all the time, when was the last time you seen some one win a court case against a ex employee for nicking there work

Pope vader

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2011, 10:12:56 pm »
tell us more wiz

stuart mc

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2011, 10:17:58 pm »
weLL i LEFT AND WENT ON MY OWN AND GAVE CARDS TO MY CUSTOMERS, BELIEVE ME OR NOT IT COST ME DEARLY.
serves you right, if you had just set up and did it quietly and let the customers come to you, you would have been ok, especially if you made a point of targeting new work, instead of trying to take work from an ex employer, not feeling sorry you from here

Catherine10

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2011, 10:33:39 pm »
Ultimately your decision Rich, sure you can factor in your girlfriend,  but it has to be a structured decision.  Everybody knows what there job is.

Helen

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2011, 10:41:52 pm »
as title says my girlfriend wants to be part of my business,going to bring her in few hours a day to do admin so me and chris can concentrate on bringing new quality work in,

few questions

who else has there partners working in there businesses

what roles do the females take care of

what time of day do you think would be best to have a part time office worker

morning or afternoon

??? another idea ???
first your're selling, then you're not, last year wasn't it, you took to your bed with depression and let an employee do it all for you, then you are going into carpet cleaning, then you're not, you have your best mate come into the business to run it when you can't decide if you should be on the tools or in the office, now you think it will all be solved by employing your girlfriend.............Jeez slow down and give your brain some time to think things through, before you have a complete breakdown and lose the lot.

In answer to "what roles do the females take care of" your girlfriend won' be around long if you have that sort of attitude ;) If she is worth any good in an office, let her set it up, run it and you just do what you are told........it might just work then :)

Catherine10

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2011, 10:58:43 pm »
You ooze confidence Helen, not everybody does.  communication, talking to people It can be quite difficult depending on what nature you are, some people find certain things difficult.

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2011, 11:12:13 pm »
Helen takes no prisoners.She`s got her head on the rite way.
Some just don't like to  face the truth, civil cases are something else.
To Cathy I don't want to go into some thing that happened some time ago. But the solicitors bill were higher than the settlement.If the person is like a dog with a bone you have problems.

Catherine10

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2011, 11:20:02 pm »
And neither do I take any prisoners, but I dont really need to state that, because I do try and work with people, taking no prisoners is out of date  It just dosent work like that prisoners and all that guff.  Isnt it about moving forwards?

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2011, 11:33:19 pm »
So you and Chris the guru don`t clean windows,2 lads do it and you need assistance to free up your time. But you are both going to concentrate on bringing quality work in. That probably means an ad in the job centre for a canvasser and then you two can interview for a week or so to select someone whilst feeling good about progressing the great business model and this will distract anyone from realising that in effect you both do very little but talk big ideas.My opinion from posts read is that you are a pair of self indulgent fantasists living in your own cuckoo land.So have you ever turned a profit? As things stand can you pay all payroll staff if bad weather stops your income stream for 2-3 weeks? It does seem all your expansion has come from a paid canvasser,it doesn`t add up,when are you going to get in front? Your sailing on projections to some "Holy Grail" but i bet these projections have the backside kicked out of them weekly.You desperately need common sense applied,the pair of you need to be out in those vans at least a couple of days a week keeping your fingers on the pulse.You could lose both those employees in the blink of an eye for any number of reasons.Anyway i could go on and on but the bottom line is, if you are on here asking whether its best to have a part timer in the morning or afternoon then i don`t hold out much hope. And NO, you shouldn`t give the girlfriend a job unless its using a wfp! 

dazmond

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2011, 07:44:38 am »
Good post Sean!he changes his mind more than the weather!

Time to chill out and K.I.S.S

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid!

Richy you really are over complicating what is very simple,straightforward business to run.if your not turning a profit your doing something very wrong.

Best wishes
Dazmond
price higher/work harder!

Helen

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2011, 08:01:45 am »
You ooze confidence Helen, not everybody does.  communication, talking to people It can be quite difficult depending on what nature you are, some people find certain things difficult.

I had little confidence until coming into our own business.
I had little sales experience until coming into our own business
I had little cleaning experience until coming in to our own business.

Point is "our own business" if you want to succeed you have to get over the "i don't want to do this bit" you have to be able to do it all, whenever it needs doing, even when you couldn't give a monkeys"

Wizzie was just using a turn of speech. :) and sometimes some people do need things pointed out to them though instead of fluffing around.
There are some people that can run a business and there are some that shouldn't. Richy you need to STOP with any new ideas now.
Consolidate what you have already for at least one year and then re-access.
Dig deep and get it back on track.

By changing your mind all the time and doing nothing you are heading back towards depression and the next time it happens you may not be so lucky to have staff that will cover it all for you.
IMO unlesss you and your girlfriend havea really strong relationship that could withstand 24/7 together, then don't do it. :)

Catherine10

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2011, 08:10:04 am »
Good on you Helen, yea I know - and you do have to do things that take you out of your comfort zone

Helen

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2011, 09:12:03 am »
Good on you Helen, yea I know - and you do have to do things that take you out of your comfort zone

and if you can't/won't then you shouldn't be running your own business easy as that! :)

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2011, 04:48:45 pm »
I've worked with my other half for just under 2 years. Work is split equally although he's still quicker than me, on trad I'm working hard to math him.
He does canvassing/leafleting/any collecting. I do all the paperwork/work organising.
Works very well for us but we have been together for 26 years! Unless your relationship is rock solid AND your girlfriend is prepared for a bit of hard work then I wouldn't go there!

Helen

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2011, 05:01:38 pm »
I've worked with my other half for just under 2 years. Work is split equally although he's still quicker than me, on trad I'm working hard to math him.
He does canvassing/leafleting/any collecting. I do all the paperwork/work organising.
Works very well for us but we have been together for 26 years! Unless your relationship is rock solid AND your girlfriend is prepared for a bit of hard work then I wouldn't go there!

We have a rule that never gets broken..... we don't argue over anything to do with the business, we may disagree, but do not let it get in between us! If one of us feels an argument coming on, we walk away from each other. It may be our livelihood, but we would rather ditch it than argue over it.
Rules that apply out on the road doing the actual physical work, hubbie is the boss, in the office and overseeing evening cleaners, that is my domain.
It has worked very well over the past 12 years and hopefully it will continue to do so (as long as he does what I say......eventually) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dave Willis

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2011, 05:26:34 pm »
Interesting thread and I'm inclined to agree with Sean. Ritchy most of the time you seem to be in the mire with little spare cash, can't get a loan, can't move forwards. Build up slowly, can you afford another wage? It wouldn't appear so. Why do you post everything on here? Are you asking for advice or what appears to me is you love to brag. "my staff this, my staff that". Just take your time and don't get led astray all the time - I honestly think you are being taken for a ride with bad advice from get rich quick mates with no business sense whatsoever. In the last few months you were going into carpet cleaning, then you were going big in commercial window cleaning, then you were going to sell up, now your opening a shop, someone's hinting that telesales will be the next big thing.
 keep it simple.

Sorry, but that's the way I see it.

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2011, 05:52:42 pm »

We have a rule that never gets broken..... we don't argue over anything to do with the business, we may disagree, but do not let it get in between us! If one of us feels an argument coming on, we walk away from each other. It may be our livelihood, but we would rather ditch it than argue over it.
Rules that apply out on the road doing the actual physical work, hubbie is the boss, in the office and overseeing evening cleaners, that is my domain.
It has worked very well over the past 12 years and hopefully it will continue to do so (as long as he does what I say......eventually) ;D ;D ;D ;D

We try and work the same. Hubbie definitely the boss on the road, but I control the office stuff. We rarely fall out and  if we do like you we try and just get on with our work while we calm down! Can work brilliantly, it does for us anyway and there are a couple of husband and wife teams round here :)

Frankybadboy

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2011, 06:40:05 pm »
Interesting thread and I'm inclined to agree with Sean. Ritchy most of the time you seem to be in the mire with little spare cash, can't get a loan, can't move forwards. Build up slowly, can you afford another wage? It wouldn't appear so. Why do you post everything on here? Are you asking for advice or what appears to me is you love to brag. "my staff this, my staff that". Just take your time and don't get led astray all the time - I honestly think you are being taken for a ride with bad advice from get rich quick mates with no business sense whatsoever. In the last few months you were going into carpet cleaning, then you were going big in commercial window cleaning, then you were going to sell up, now your opening a shop, someone's hinting that telesales will be the next big thing.
 keep it simple.

dont forget the 3vans with heated systems

as above really,

sorry richy keep it very simple.

richywilts

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2011, 08:28:29 pm »
 keep it simple.

when the hell have i ever bragged on here bout my staff, so what if iv considered doing other things,i research into things n make a decision at least im thinking outside the box unlike many others on here who havent got the balls to risk going into bigger things.i asked a simple question about my girlfriend coming in to help out
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

bobplum

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2011, 08:32:36 pm »
you keep going young un ;)

Window Washers

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2011, 08:56:09 pm »
missus and working with them, no way ho'sey "little bit of misspelling and pun rolled into one"

Richy don't do it dude, do the work you don't like it will only make your business stronger, when you can't do the cleaning and the paper work and the rest get some young lady/guy in to help or outsource that part.

I am married to my wife, I don't want to have to work with her, sod that I have to live with her :)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Dave Willis

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2011, 09:15:30 pm »
 keep it simple.

when the hell have i ever bragged on here bout my staff, so what if iv considered doing other things,i research into things n make a decision at least im thinking outside the box unlike many others on here who havent got the balls to risk going into bigger things.i asked a simple question about my girlfriend coming in to help out

Sometimes it's nothing to do with balls but common sense. You carry on mate.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2011, 09:24:51 pm »
Maybe open a fancy dress shop like the one in Mr Ben

Dean Taberner

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2011, 09:27:53 pm »
The bottom line is to make sure that not only do you enjoy your windows, but that you cherish every moment that you spend with them too,

Dean.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2011, 09:29:22 pm »
Maybe open a fancy dress shop like the one in Mr Ben

Yes going forward that could be a good idea :D

Catherine10

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2011, 09:33:21 pm »
Cant do without my better half, I get stuck, then he solves it.

Scoop

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2011, 10:41:45 pm »
i asked a simple question about my girlfriend coming in to help out

I've read this whole thread and Richy has had some flack. But (almost) all of it is well meaning flack. We all know how little spare cash there is floating around for admin and wages. That's why the warning bells start ringing.

Why do you want your girlfriend there? Why does she want to be working with you? Is it an easy option for her (i.e easier than working for another company). Has she got a clearly defined role? Will she be able to generate at least twice to three times her wages from the work she does?

I have had two spouses working in my businesses. With the first I/we generated a million pounds of turnover working from an office the basement of our house. With the second it ... didn't work out as well  ;)

I don't know which one you have. If it's one like Helen or A&J above then they will motivate you to great things. If she's argumentative with you in front of staff, drifts in at 12pm because she had to watch the end of Loose Women and then digs in her bag for the latest Take a Break while you make her a coffee then it may not be the partnership you are hoping for.

At the end of the day only one person can steer and thats you. You'll get the rewards and the thunderous applause if you steer in the right direction. You'll get the consequences if you don't.

Steer well, and speaking as someone who had it all and lost it and is working back towards having it all again, treat your business like a new-born baby. Feed it until it's strong and and protect it from anything that may cause it harm, no matter who's feelings you hurt.
Don't wish it were easier. Wish that you were better - Jim Rohn