Smudgeoff Cleaning Services

What are the potential weekly earnings
« on: May 10, 2010, 01:31:01 pm »
Hi all how much can you earn on a weekly basis by doing domestics window cleaning
" To Get It All Off Call Smudgeoff"

stfc

Re: What are the potential weekly earnings
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 01:55:14 pm »
depends on how much hard work you put in,but to be honest you shouldnt really ask that question,who knows who looks at these forums.

Platinum

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 01:57:16 pm »
Hi Mark
Have you got any commercials in the north west?

stfc

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 02:07:45 pm »
depends where u are

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 02:12:16 pm »
when it comes to earnings its not how much you earn week to week but your yearly turnover minus expenses,tax etc.im not earning at the moment as vans off the road.you dont get hol/sick pay.you cant work when weather too bad.

id think of another business mate cos window cleaning is hard work!great when weathers good and no van problems but crap when things go belly up with your health/van/weather etc.

saying that if you can earn £25grand a year BEFORE expenses,tax etc.thats ok for an average domestic window cleaner.not much really once everythings been deducted though ::) ::)

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

paul rulton

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 02:26:21 pm »
250 a day turnover is a nice number...
ya not wrong Dave  ;) i wish  :-[

paul rulton

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 02:31:10 pm »
thats about rite i guess  :)  prb more if ur fit bod  ;D

Jack Wallace

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 02:42:49 pm »
Thats me done for the day. Have earned my 20 quid so off to the pub now.

Its a great job this  ;)

Frankybadboy

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 03:06:06 pm »
this question aint come up for weeks.

£5 aday is what i earn. :P

stfc

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 03:13:17 pm »

wish i was on that mate,£2.50 if im lucky.

cleewindows

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 03:16:18 pm »
i have had a great day,off down the pub to spend my £24 and might treat myself to fish n chips on the way home  ;D

wish i was on that mate,£2.50 if im lucky.

paul rulton

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 03:17:53 pm »
im not gonna ave much time 2earn anything 2moro as ive gotta go n bump on  ;D ;)
pro windy me  ;)

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 03:19:31 pm »
Hi all how much can you earn on a weekly basis by doing domestics window cleaning

It's like asking how much can I earn as a footballer. Millions if you play at the top level, it will cost you if its for your local pub team.

Tom White

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 03:38:05 pm »
I earn at least £2000 per week and have a hugely successful business; I'm not one of those scumbag ladder monkeys or a backpack on a sack truck cowboy.

And despite having a good window cleaning round, it's just a shame that my psychological  insecurities, which probably stem from being bullied as a child and extremely sexually insecure, manifest themselves in the nature of my show-off posts.

But seriously, this is a 'how long is a piece of string question'.  You'll find very affluent window cleaners and you'll find not-so-affluent window cleaners.

daz1977

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 03:40:48 pm »
say u do 10 houses at 8 per house 80 quid a day 400 a week,  minus expensies water, fuel, equipment,  it might take u a few months to get up to 400 a week each and every week,  but for the first few months u might be making money but no profit as u are only paying off what u have already spent,

the business is a good business to be in, but when the weathers crap,  u aint earning money, and that is when a lot leave,  and like the last winter a lot only work 5 days in 3 months and unless u got cash in the bank then it might not be the business for you

stfc

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 03:51:44 pm »
say u do 10 houses at 8 per house 80 quid a day 400 a week,  minus expensies water, fuel, equipment,  it might take u a few months to get up to 400 a week each and every week,  but for the first few months u might be making money but no profit as u are only paying off what u have already spent,

the business is a good business to be in, but when the weathers crap,  u aint earning money, and that is when a lot leave,  and like the last winter a lot only work 5 days in 3 months and unless u got cash in the bank then it might not be the business for you

or if you get contract work where it has to be done weekly which eases the cash flow problem in winter..

Paul Golding

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 03:55:53 pm »

10 x £8 houses would take about 2hrs to clean . . short day !! lol

cozy

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 03:56:58 pm »
I earn at least £2000 per week and have a hugely successful business; I'm not one of those scumbag ladder monkeys or a backpack on a sack truck cowboy.

And despite having a good window cleaning round, it's just a shame that my psychological  insecurities, which probably stem from being bullied as a child and extremely sexually insecure, manifest themselves in the nature of my show-off posts.

But seriously, this is a 'how long is a piece of string question'.  You'll find very affluent window cleaners and you'll find not-so-affluent window cleaners.

2000 a week? Wouldn't get out of the bath for a wee for that !! Loadamunie window cleaning here.  8)

Here we go  ;D

daz1977

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 04:13:51 pm »
paulgold,  i didnt say i would do a full day  lol

Platinum

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 04:51:19 pm »
depends where u are

St Helens - What have you got on merseyside or in greater manchester

williamx

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 04:59:06 pm »
You wil find that when you first start your earning power will be very small, this is because you have never done it before and you will be doing 1st cleans all the time.

After 3 months you will find that you are quicker and your turnover will have increased but not to a high level.

You need to be at it for at least 2 years before you start to generate a good weekly turnover figure, but these figures will change from week to week.

With doing domestics you income will top out at around £800 but if you add commercial then you should exceed £1000, but you do need to charge correctly and not underprice yourself.

groundhog

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 06:13:10 pm »

With doing domestics you income will top out at around £800 but if you add commercial then you should exceed £1000, but you do need to charge correctly and not underprice yourself.

The beauty of window cleaning is that you really do get out what you put in!! The more you canvass etc the more work you will have coming in, the better you sell yourself and your business the more you will be able to charge, and the harder/faster you work the more you will be able to earn!!

Some on here will think that the figures posted above by pure hydro are unrealistic and not achievable, but others will think that they are a bit on the low side!!  ;)

williamx

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 06:17:45 pm »
I only posted what I achieve on a bad week, I don't like to say what I have earnt on the good weeks 8)

Tom White

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 06:22:24 pm »
Lads, it's lovely to know you're all hinting that you're doing well, but from your 'thingy' waving posts, it seems you're suffering with the same insecurities as myself.   ;D ;)

cozy

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 06:23:08 pm »
I'm on my second million. 8)

Gave up on the first. ;D

Smudgeoff Cleaning Services

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 06:27:11 pm »
Thanks to all ....... Including the funny ones..... ;D ;D ;D
Daz
" To Get It All Off Call Smudgeoff"

groundhog

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 06:41:23 pm »
Lads, it's lovely to know you're all hinting that you're doing well, but from your 'thingy' waving posts, it seems you're suffering with the same insecurities as myself.   ;D ;)

I don't like posting on these type of threads as people take things the wrong way!! But what I am trying to say that is that in this business if your willing to work hard and use a bit of noddle ie price well!! then you can do very well, but if your lazy and haven't got much business sense then your not going to get rich at this game!!

I know I have mentioned Super Hod before, but he is my hero.. and when he was labouring on building sites back in the early 80's, nobody would have thought that it was possible to get rich working as a builders labourer, but he did!!! How did he do it? .. by working harder, faster and smarter than anyone else!!!  ;)

williamx

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 07:07:36 pm »
I personally do not see how a window cleaner cannot earn £800 every week of the year.

If you only had £10 domestic houses, its only 80 jobs to be done in 6 days = 14 jobs a day, or you could instead do the following.

You can clean 3 houses per hour on average, so if you do a 8 hour day, then your earnings go upto £240 per day, times this by 4 days, you use the other 3 days for bad weather.

You now have a turnover of £960 a week.

groundhog

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 07:14:13 pm »
I personally do not see how a window cleaner cannot earn £800 every week of the year.

Because most are lazy.. and to do that week in week out takes hard work and motivation!!

williamx

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 07:21:57 pm »
If you where doing 80 jobs week in week out then maybe it would be hard work, but you would get used to it.

But most of my jobs are not £10, I have a whole variety going upto £1200 which only takes 5 Hours ;D and I try not to work more than 4 hours in any day.

dazmond

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 07:32:22 pm »
fair play to ya groundhog/hydroclean.ive been underpricing for years and have quite a large underpriced round! ::) ::)im slowly turning it around though.

im pricing much better and im building another round near where i work.i really think that when i add wfp coupled with hard work ill be hitting the figures you quote most weeks.

since i joined this forum ive really changed my attitude to my business.i have a uniform,business cards,smart leaflets.i also use george software which is so much BETTER than notepad/pen etc.

i also work mainly in a very affluent area and im well respected and trusted and have a solid customer base(some ive been cleaning for 16 years!).though im a tad cheap compared to some most of my work is very compact.i have put 80% of my prices up twice in the last 2 years and they will continue to go up every year.

thanks to all you guys ;) ;D ;D ;D

dazmond

tacky

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2010, 07:34:45 pm »
dont forget u must sign on dole to make your money up to a living wage .

cozy

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2010, 07:36:28 pm »
dont forget u must sign on dole to make your money up to a living wage .

;D

and nick stuff out of gardens  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2010, 07:40:39 pm »
i really do get a buzz from groundhogs/hydrocleans posts!rather than feel jealous(like some do on ere!)it just drives me on to build a better business knowing you guys have done it!maybe i have been a busy fool in the past and im not ashamed to admit it!doesnt mean i cant change!i am changing!and learning from past mistakes.

at 38 i feel ive still got time to turn things around! ;) ;D ;D ;D

best wishes to everyone

dazmond

groundhog

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2010, 08:00:41 pm »
i really do get a buzz from groundhogs/hydrocleans posts!rather than feel jealous(like some do on ere!)it just drives me on to build a better business knowing you guys have done it!maybe i have been a busy fool in the past and im not ashamed to admit it!doesnt mean i cant change!i am changing!and learning from past mistakes.

best wishes to everyone

dazmond

Good on ya Daz!! I'm glad I've finally managed to inspire someone on here!!!  :)

williamx

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2010, 08:11:10 pm »
Dazmond

To achieve higher prices than your compitition you need to offer your customers a better quality of service than they do.

The following are some good pointers.

If you are a trad cleaners always use fresh water on their house, not what you have used on their neighbours.

Telephone the night before, if they say they won't be in and they cannot leave the gate open or you need to access the back though their property, ask them when the right time for them will be, say you work you round around them, it makes them feel special and its not really putting you out to much because all the customers will not ask you to do this.

I always clean the frames and sills on every clean, I also clean the front and back doors, but where I differ from other cleaners is I will also rinse down the facia boards - gutters and downpipes if the are dirty or green, the same applies to the garage doors if the are white.  ( a house with clean windows does not look right if the downpipes - facia boards and garage door are minging and it only takes a few minutes).

Dress and be clean shaven and a profession image.

I always give  cards and gifts (pen) at christmas.

Don't be scared to charge high, have confidence in what you do and your price will be justified.

groundhog

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2010, 08:47:26 pm »
Dazmond

To achieve higher prices than your compitition you need to offer your customers a better quality of service than they do.

The following are some good pointers.

If you are a trad cleaners always use fresh water on their house, not what you have used on their neighbours.

Telephone the night before, if they say they won't be in and they cannot leave the gate open or you need to access the back though their property, ask them when the right time for them will be, say you work you round around them, it makes them feel special and its not really putting you out to much because all the customers will not ask you to do this.

I always clean the frames and sills on every clean, I also clean the front and back doors, but where I differ from other cleaners is I will also rinse down the facia boards - gutters and downpipes if the are dirty or green, the same applies to the garage doors if the are white.  ( a house with clean windows does not look right if the downpipes - facia boards and garage door are minging and it only takes a few minutes).

I always give  cards and gifts (pen) at christmas.

Don't be scared to charge high, have confidence in what you do and your price will be justified.

I agree with some of this, but phoning the night before is asking for trouble!! I only do this for my very best customers.. and then only if they insist on it!! And don't get carried away with cleaning everything that moves, just the windows and doors will do, if they want the rest done, then they can pay extra!! It may only take a few minutes, but those few minutes add up to a substantial amount of time over the course of a year, time that could have been spent earning more money instead of doing freebies!!!  ;)

dazmond

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2010, 09:37:17 pm »
i do phone the night before on some bigger accounts guys for access and i always clean sills(frames as well on new higher priced work! ;)with me goin wfp soon i will do all frames as standard.i do conny roofs and fascias as extras.my new smart leaflets state i clean frames/sills/doors cleaned as standard.

im building a round of bigger well priced accounts at longer cleaning frequencies(6 weeklies).

im frustrated at getting new van and having a few problems with it though i should be up and running by thursday at the latest.i have smart embroidered polo shirts,the vans in good nick for age,i have very good trad equipment.

im looking forward to the next 6 months cleaning and picking up better payed work!just gotta ride this blip out!its been a bad couple of weeks!still things cant run smoothly all the time!!

thanks to all you guys!

dazmond

williamx

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2010, 10:04:12 pm »
Telephoning the night before has earn't me more money than it has cost me, for starters I can guarantee that all the backs are cleaned even if the custy is not at home, how many times do you turn up and you cannot do them, this is costing you money.

I also text where possible, if I wanted I could text every single customers with one single text, you just cc it to them all.

Cleaning the white works is normally covered by the 1st clean price which is double.

Also if a competitor trys to target my work then he has to do even more than me, which is going to be difficult.

The refferals I get for my service enables me not to advertise anymore, thereby saving me money.

I intend to start a newsletter soon with offers and discounts as well as updates on new services, at first it will go out every 3 months, then if its popular monthly.

groundhog

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2010, 10:48:44 pm »
Telephoning the night before has earn't me more money than it has cost me, for starters I can guarantee that all the backs are cleaned even if the custy is not at home, how many times do you turn up and you cannot do them, this is costing you money.

There's not many gates which prevent me from cleaning the backs, I normally just hop over them. And the few times I have agreed to phone the night before, I find normally results in problems.. ie 'leave it this month thanks'!!!

groundhog

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2010, 10:51:34 pm »

I intend to start a newsletter soon with offers and discounts as well as updates on new services, at first it will go out every 3 months, then if its popular monthly.

Sounds interesting, what kind of offers/discounts do you mean?

williamx

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2010, 10:54:50 pm »

There's not many gates which prevent me from cleaning the backs, I normally just hop over them. And the few times I have agreed to phone the night before, I find normally results in problems.. ie 'leave it this month thanks'!!!

No I have a strict policy on cancelations, I don't mine the odd one every so on for hospital appointments, holidays and so on but if they just want to cancel without a valid reason then they cancel for life.

williamx

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2010, 11:03:38 pm »

Sounds interesting, what kind of offers/discounts do you mean?

Well at the moment I clean windows and carpets and I will soon be doing gutters, a friend of mine is also a carpet cleaner but he also cleans upholstery as well, another friend also does driveways.

What I do is I promote all of these services windows and carpets I do, the others I get paid a commision on.

The offers I intend to offer will range from have your carpets cleaned and get your windows cleaned free of charge, introduce another window cleaning customer and get your windows cleaned free of charge, get me a commercial contract and your window are cleaned free plus also a £50 gift voucher, if the contract is worth more than £500.

Basically it will be get you windows cleaned free for every service you have done, with the jobs I sub-contract out they pay the window cleaning bill plus commision.

Paul Golding

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2010, 11:04:23 pm »
paulgold,  i didnt say i would do a full day  lol

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

sorry, had to go out !!!

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2010, 11:11:17 pm »
judging most on ere 3k a week lol ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

Paul Golding

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2010, 11:13:08 pm »
judging most on ere 3k a week lol ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

don't be stupid . . that would mean working at least a 20hr wk !!!  ;) ;D

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2010, 11:23:44 pm »
only 20hrs lol ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

groundhog

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2010, 11:29:19 pm »

Well at the moment I clean windows and carpets and I will soon be doing gutters, a friend of mine is also a carpet cleaner but he also cleans upholstery as well, another friend also does driveways.

What I do is I promote all of these services windows and carpets I do, the others I get paid a commision on.

The offers I intend to offer will range from have your carpets cleaned and get your windows cleaned free of charge, introduce another window cleaning customer and get your windows cleaned free of charge, get me a commercial contract and your window are cleaned free plus also a £50 gift voucher, if the contract is worth more than £500.

Basically it will be get you windows cleaned free for every service you have done, with the jobs I sub-contract out they pay the window cleaning bill plus commision.

Do you employ? I am so over run with window cleaning that I try to avoid doing any other services, although I do clean gutters/fascia etc if a regular customer asks for it. I like the idea of the free clean for a commercial contract, that would be worth a freebie!! not sure about the £50 gift voucher though!! perhaps I'm just tight!!  :)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2010, 11:30:42 pm »
I earn millions every week.
I wish they would stop paying me in Zimbabwean dollars though.

Paul Golding

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2010, 11:31:44 pm »
I earn millions every week.
I wish they would stop paying me in Zimbabwean dollars though.

reminds me of that fonejacker sketch !!

williamx

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2010, 11:42:33 pm »

Do you employ? I am so over run with window cleaning that I try to avoid doing any other services, although I do clean gutters/fascia etc if a regular customer asks for it. I like the idea of the free clean for a commercial contract, that would be worth a freebie!! not sure about the £50 gift voucher though!! perhaps I'm just tight!!  :)

At the moment I am looking for my 1st franshisee, I was going to start them off with £25000 of business at the start but after advice from Ian Lancaster they are only going to get £10000 but that will increase as soon as they can handle the extra work.

If a contract is worth £500 per year then £50 is a pittance, back in the good old days of backhanders £50 would be considered small change.

There are times when penny pinching is correct like buying fancy over price wfp systems, but when you need to promote your business, money should not come into it, within reason.

With any business getting the customers is the hardest part, as soon as you get them what you need to do is extract the maximum amount of income from them.

Every single one of your customers uses other service industries and they are more likely go to the ones that are recommended from reliable sources.

Platinum

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2010, 12:02:08 am »
You can earn whatever you want if your self employed.

Thats the beauty of being your own boss

Good luck  ;)

supernova77

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2010, 12:39:37 am »

I'm rarely clean shaven, but I'm doing just fine  ;)

Andy

Window Washers

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2010, 07:11:34 am »

best wishes to everyone

dazmond

Good on ya Daz!! I'm glad I've finally managed to inspire someone on here!!!  :)
He aint seen ya video then  :P
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2010, 07:13:11 am »
Pure Hydro

Are you going to follow Ians business model, or are you going ahead with your plan you posted a couple of months back.

I am really interested to know.

Dave

williamx

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2010, 10:15:48 am »
When I posted my thoughs on moving my business to the next level, the figures I quoted where not set in conreate.

For instance I am in a position to release £25k worth of business to a franshisee straightaway, but Ian did point out that a newbie would not be able to cope with the workload, instead I am going to follow Ians figure of £10k straightaway with the rest coming online as and when they can cope.

Some on here will say that a newbie can cope with £25k straightaway especially with my prices, but I do set quality of workmanship as the 1st priority, anyway within 3 months they should be upto that figure.

The rest of the franshise package is going to be the same as Ian's except for a couple of extra's that I will be offering and the price I will be charging.

The extras I have included are Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning and Gutter Cleaning, with regard to Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning they will be trained by The NCCA.

The package prices also differ greatly to Ians as well mine is as follows

PACKAGE 1

The franchise term is 3 years.

The licence fee is £10000 without a company vehicle.

The licence fee is £15000 with a vehicle supplied by the company

The percentage that you have to pay the company on your turnover less vat (if applicable) is set at 20%, this is payable monthly in arrears.

PACKAGE 2

The franchise term is 4 years.

The licence fee is £12000 without a company vehicle.

The licence fee is £17000 with a vehicle supplied by the company

The percentage that you have to pay the company on your turnover less vat (if applicable) is set at 19%, this is payable monthly in arrears.

PACKAGE 3

The franchise term is 5 years.

The licence fee is £15000 without a company vehicle.

The licence fee is £20000 with a vehicle supplied by the company

The percentage that you have to pay the company on your turnover less vat (if applicable) is set at 18%, this is payable monthly in arrears.

PACKAGE 4

The franchise term is 7 years.

The licence fee is £21000 without a company vehicle.

The licence fee is £ 26000 with a vehicle supplied by the company

The percentage that you have to pay the company on your turnover less vat (if applicable) is set at 15%, this is payable monthly in arrears.

Now this is where I will differ from Ian's business unlike him I will also be employing window cleaners as well, they will all be taken on a 30 hour per week contract, so I can alter their shift pattern when I take on a new franshisee.

At what stage am I at now?

The franchise agreement which is the most important thing to have right is now with the solictors been turn into legal speak.

I am starting 2 paid canvassers who start knocking the doors from this saturday with a target of 20 new jobs to be produced each week.

10000 new flyers are due from the printers by Thursday, marketing all my services as well as the franshising opportunitys that I offer.

My web site is going to a seo company this week to maximise it web presence.

and in my spare time I have signed up with the Open University to take my BA (honors) Degree that I was surpose to have done when I was 17 but couldn't because my mother was dying.

supernova77

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2010, 10:44:25 am »
The franchise term is

What happens when the franchise term runs out? Do they have to pay another license fee?

Surely it would be better to charge a one-off license fee and then just collect a % each month forever?

Andy

williamx

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2010, 12:40:36 pm »
Good point and I might change it but at the moment a licence fee is a commitment that they make, with just a ongoing  % then they are more likely to move on at anytime, if they have to pay a lump sum, they are more likely to stay for the licence period.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2010, 12:42:12 pm »
William looks like he has done his homework, only he knows if it will work or not.

Good luck with it and hope it works out.

If you want to discuss a different business model give us a call.

Dave

supernova77

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2010, 12:44:53 pm »
Good point and I might change it but at the moment a licence fee is a commitment that they make.

I've also been looking into the franchise route.

If I do implement it then I will charge a flat one-off fee which will include an initial £1k of work per month + a fitted van mount system, the franchisee will have to supply the van though... Then the franchisee would pay 22% of all turnover forever... If they quit the franchise then they hand back all work and equipment that I have supplied.

Andy