kevinc

backpacks-help needed
« on: June 11, 2008, 10:47:16 pm »
 :)hi i need some help,i realise that the days of trad cleaning are getting too risky(i'm not a spring chicken any more and those long reaches-sideways are getting dodgier by the day)would a backpack ease the issue?can't really afford at the moment to go full blown wfp besides the wife helps in cleaning but does not like heights(being 5' 4" i'm not suprised!)just thinking would a backpack help maybe in cleaning the bedroom windows and trading the bottom.what are the ups and downs of this?also where can i get the best ones from-how long do they last etc,does anyane have one for sale?-kevin

NWH

Re: backpacks-help needed
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 10:58:45 pm »
For doing tops only it would be ideal a good intro into WFP,i sold 1 last week on Ebay.

LWC

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 11:19:58 pm »
no reason why one shouldnt last for a long time if you look after it

£200 odd for back pack, £200 for Ro and DI £100 for pole £500 quick setup ;)

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 10:54:32 am »
windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk they do back packs and they are cheap £80+vat

www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/shop/products/accessories-3.html

Art

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 11:04:34 am »
I bought one from America. A guy on ebay sells them

Arthur

Tosh

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 05:12:36 pm »
what are the ups and downs of this?also where can i get the best ones from-how long do they last etc,does anyane have one for sale?-kevin

Kevin,

I don't doubt that a van-mounted system kicks-the-bottom out of a backpack, but a backpack is a class bit of kit; but like anything new, it'll frustrate you to begin with; and as you get smarter with experience; you'll love it.

The downside is that it's heavy, the plus side is that it gives you total freedom; anywhere you can get your body to; you can take a backpack and parking rarely becomes an issue as it will with a van-mount system.

Have a search on this site; there's loads written about backpacks.  My USA e-bay backpack is over two-years-old; gets a right hammering and is still going strong (my first lasted a year; I dropped it).

samuels28

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 05:28:05 pm »
hi, i've been using a back pack for 4 years and love it, only 1 down side is it is heavy at first. but have a sollution put back pack on floor for the first few window's, I started out like you thinking it would be a good first step but 41/2 years later still using it, unlike the vans which i have used, with a backpack there is no hose really to get tangled up, which i big advantage.
I do office blocks big ones, golfclubs, factories show rooms and domestic and with the backpack

samuel

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 08:42:50 pm »
Yeah I use a backpack for everything.  I don't wear it any more though, as it was putting my posture out loads. 

All that weight makes you lean forward slightly to counter the weight pulling you back, and then trying to look up to clean the windows, it's a really bad combination.

HOWEVER!!  I think its a great piece of kit (Shurflo)  Battery lasts ages, choice of flow rate (BTW setting one is plenty!)

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 08:43:47 pm »
Steve (Ideal) will prob be on here telling you that all that weight on your back is good for posture!  ??? ??? :o :o

;D ;D ;)

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 08:47:07 pm »
Sorry, one more thing,  If you do get one, get a foldong sack truck (Don't pay more than £30 and get a folding one)

That way you can wheel barrels of water to and fro with ease.  I stack two barrels on it and strap them on if I'm working far from van.

I do feel I'm slowed down by having to keep re-filling though, so will be getting a tank fitted soonish (hopefully)

Any Q's about Shurflo b/p just ask.

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 08:59:52 pm »
Quote from: mattsimm on Today at 08:43:27pm
So I am as poor as a poor person can be!

Which boffin with nothing better to do made this load of B*****Ks up

It makes me sick!  Angry

It's only for people with small dicks, big cars and a Bloody look at me attitude!  Roll Eyes

And what has this to do with Window cleaning? Wink Wink Wink

Steve have you logged in under Matt's name again ya big eejit?

kevinc

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 09:49:17 pm »
 :)hey thanks guys keep em coming,never accured to me you could put the backpack on the floor and keep working-that would be good-how long does the water last in one of these?the trolley is an intresting/damn good idea-need to look at them,still more advice/ideas needed-what else can you do with these?many many thanks so far kevin

kevinc

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 10:12:01 pm »
ok you've talked me into this,i'm gonna sel my bike to pay for one(anyone want a 1960 triumph tiger cub it'll be on ebay soon)which one is reliable/easy to use and how much do they cost?is one from america/ebay cheaper is there an issue with voltage?whats the going rate for a backpack-kevin

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 10:17:24 pm »
:)hey thanks guys keep em coming,never accured to me you could put the backpack on the floor and keep working-that would be good-how long does the water last in one of these?the trolley is an intresting/damn good idea-need to look at them,still more advice/ideas needed-what else can you do with these?many many thanks so far kevin

The water will keep flowing, approximately until it  runs out.

You thought I was serious, didn't you? ;D ;D

The Slowest setting, I think is about 1 litre per minute.  The Shurflo holds about 18-20 L when filled to the brim.

I got mine for about £150 +vat from a UK supplier (Just haggled 8))

Don't forget that the Back pack doesn't filter the water, just pumps it, so you'll need ro and or resin, depending on your water.

a £15 Harris pole is a great way to start, wish I knew about it before forking our £350 on mine. :o :o

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 10:23:24 pm »
I haven't used a Window cleaning warehouse back pack, so I don't know what they perform like.

I do know that they don't have any flow control, so they'll get through loadsa water, unless you physically restrict the flow with a tap and therefore put loadsa pressure on the pump.

They also look like they'd go well with a 1980's yellow shell suit.  :o

Shurflo have been making pumps for years, so I guess they're tried and tested more.

J

Art

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 10:28:51 pm »
Hi Jewel, Doesn't filling it to the brim do any damage?

Arthur

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 10:31:58 pm »
Like what?

I don't think so, just like filling a 25l barrel doesn't do it any damage.

The only damage that might be done is trying to wear the thing like this on your back!!!!!!

J

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 10:47:09 pm »
Like what?

The only damage that might be done is trying to wear the thing like this on your back!!!!!!

J

;D ;D ;D Oh! do come on...
Fill it to the brim... wear it like a "Real" man like me!  ;D ;D ;D

And YES Jay it's great for the posture ! :D :D

Yes, I've always noticed your good posture.

How is your chiropractor anyway?  I'm sure I saw her buying another new sports car the other day. :o

Art

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 10:50:34 pm »
Like what?

J

It was a question mate  ;D

I just thought because it had markers on it that you could only fill it to the top one. I've only just got mine so still trying to find out as much info as possible

Art

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 01:06:40 am »
If anyone has any other tips regarding backpacks i'd like to hear them?

Arthur