This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Re: backpacks-help needed
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 07:34:53 am »
Like what?

I don't think so, just like filling a 25l barrel doesn't do it any damage.

The only damage that might be done is trying to wear the thing like this on your back!!!!!!

J

It was a question mate  ;D

I just thought because it had markers on it that you could only fill it to the top one. I've only just got mine so still trying to find out as much info as possible

Don't sweat it mate, you wanna get as much water in as poss.  I've got friends who always fill it right up.

By the way, did yours come with a removable strainer that sits in the opening?

J

Art

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 04:22:25 pm »
Like what?

The only damage that might be done is trying to wear the thing like this on your back!!!!!!

J

I just thought because it had markers on it that you could only fill it to the top one. I've only just got mine so still trying to find out as much info as possible

Don't sweat it mate, you wanna get as much water in as poss.  I've got friends who always fill it right up.

J

Hi Jewel, funny you should mention the strainer. I actually posted a question about where could i get one from, as it was mentioned in the manual. Would you know where i could buy one please?

Arthur

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 05:08:08 pm »
I have one I dont use, might put it on e-bay. its on a folding sack trolley.

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 06:03:21 pm »
Like what?

J

J

Hi Jewel, funny you should mention the strainer. I actually posted a question about where could i get one from, as it was mentioned in the manual. Would you know where i could buy one please?

Arthur

I'm not sure.  I think the strainer mentioned in the manual is the one inside the tank.  If you put your arm in you can pull it off to clean it, then push it back on.

I bought a returned item from cleaning spot, it turned out to be knackered, so I sent it back.  It however came with a cylindrical strainer that fitted inside the top, to catch any solids before they went into the back/pack.

When I bought a new one, it didn't have one.  But i noticed on the old one, it said 2004 on it, so maybe they stopped doing them as standard.

Also, the old one had a completely different battery, maybe that's why so many had problems with them initially.

The new one I have had for a few months now is great.

(If your really worried about having a strainer, you could use a plastic sieve when filling.  This is what i did at first, but realised its pointless, as their is a small removable strainer built in!  I just flush the b/p out every now and then to remove any small bits that have collected)

Art

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 06:47:55 pm »
Thanks J

Tosh

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 07:50:09 pm »
Art,

I'm sure Window Cleaning Warehouse sell the strainers:

www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/shop/

I tried to google the link to the item for you, but my computer; or the site is on go slow.

What types of properties are you going to be using your backpack for?

I use mine from (relatively) big stuff, to small stuff; been using it for over 3 years now; and think it's great.  But there is a knack.

Also what's your pole hose like?  Don't fanny about with triggers and stuff (they end up breaking fairly quickly); make sure you've got an external pole hose (outside the pipe) and just grab a handful of it and bend it to cut the water supply and stop the pump (it won't damage it; it's designed to be used like that).  The pole hose needs to be pliable enough to let you bend it easy.  I can't reccommend a pole hose, since I've been using a brand that Ionic don't make anymore.

This'll save you water inbetween windows, or when a customer comes out to chat with you.

Also don't bother putting your backpack on a trolley; it's more trouble than it's worth.  Carry it, either on one shoulder, both shoulders, or like you would a holdall; depending on how much water is in it and how far you're going to go with it.

In some places I'll dump off 25 litre barrels of water at strategic points from my car (you'll only discover where these places are by experience), and at other places I'll pull a 25 litre barrel on a trolley and fill up when needed.

Also if you've got to go somewhere just to clean two-or-three windows, don't fill the whole ruddy thing up.  Just put enough water in it to clean those windows.  I calculate this as two-litres-per-window (normal casement type; not massive shop window), so if I've four windows to clean with it, I'll put in 8 litres; it's normally more than enough on a regular clean; though you'll use more on first cleans.

What else?  The battery is great, but make sure you give it a really long charge when it's brand new; at least 24 hours.  After that I always charge mine each evening, when I remember.  Yesturday I put about 7 x 25 litre barrels through it, forgot to charge it so gave it a half-hour charge this morning and then put another 5 x 25 ltr barrels through it today; no problems.

I try not to leave the backpack in the car overnight in Winter; I find it messes up the button control due to damp.

Any questions, mate, just ask, I'll try my best to help even if you're a Jock!

Art

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 08:05:00 pm »
Hi Tosh,

I'll be using it for domestic work. We advertise our other cleaning services in areas with massive houses, so a mixture of both.

The pole i've got is a 21foot xtel. Hose through the middle at them moment, but i'll swap that round to the outside. Very simple but great way to cut the water supply.

I'll have to use a trolley mate as my backs shot, so no option there.

Thanks for all the rest of the tips Tosh.

Arthur

Art

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 04:02:38 pm »
I'm not having much luck with a strainer for the BP. Tried WCW, but they don't do them. I've also looked through other suppliers sites, but can't find one.

Anyone any ideas where i can get one?

Arthur

Xline Systems

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 04:17:18 pm »
hi arthur. whitch hose you using? may be able to rustle something up with a shurflo strainer for you

Art

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 04:33:37 pm »
hi arthur. whitch hose you using? may be able to rustle something up with a shurflo strainer for you

Hello mate, it's not the type of strainer your thinking of. It fits in when you unscrew the lid to add water. I think anyway.
The backpack came from the states and they don't come with the strainer for some reason, even though it's in the manual

Arthur

Xline Systems

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 04:36:05 pm »
so if im correct. you want a strainer on the lid where the water enters the backpack?

Art

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2008, 04:39:09 pm »
so if im correct. you want a strainer on the lid where the water enters the backpack?

Yes mate

Xline Systems

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 04:47:21 pm »
why dont you put a strainer on the end of your hose that you fill your backpack with

Art

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 04:58:27 pm »
why dont you put a strainer on the end of your hose that you fill your backpack with

I fill it straight from barrels

Xline Systems

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 05:09:59 pm »
what about putting some wire mesh over the ond of you tap on your bowser that you fill your barrels with?

Art

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2008, 05:15:26 pm »
Yes, i'll probably do something like that. I just thought it would be easier with the filter and they can't be more than a couple of quid.

Someones got to do them

davids3511

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 08:39:32 pm »
Would a pop sock do for a strainer?

davids3511

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2008, 08:41:52 pm »
My advice regarding the backpack you be do not use the power supply that comes with the backpack. I did and it ate 3 batteries in 6 months. I then splashed out on a 4ah RAC charger from Argos and have now had the same battery for 5 months and it is alomst as good as the day I bought it.

I know some others have had more success with the chargers supplied, mine was an American one with an adapter if that makes any difference.

Art

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2008, 08:44:39 pm »
Hi Dave, Yes mines came from America aswell and the first thing i did was bought a smart charger from maplins.

Did the one you bought come with the strainer?

Arthur

davids3511

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2008, 08:52:59 pm »
Hi

No strainer, have never used one and have never had a problem.